Thread: Gazza, Item Description all over the place

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RamboAutoTools View Post
    Hi there,

Thanks for the welcome and tip on the phone number, must has have missed that when reading thought the rule book. I've removed from the listings now, although where that stands with company law etc, as we are meant to make sure all our contact details are displayed on whatever it is we do?

The listing should look like this http://www.ramboautotools.com/temp/V001.htm

I'm thinking it must be some sort of hidden formating thats making this happen.

Cheers,
    Alex

That listing is absolutely packed with Microsoft formatting commands (XML) which is probably blowing the brains out of the eBid WYSIWYG editor - it's certainly going to be clashing like crazy as each tries to grab control of fonts and alignment. <shudder>

Word and eBid are not happy bed-fellows (Word and any html are not a good mix, but it's not always apparent to the casual observer).

Hi there,

Thanks for the welcome and tip on the phone number, must has have missed that when reading thought the rule book. I've removed from the listings now, although where that stands with company law etc, as we are meant to make sure all our contact details are displayed on whatever it is we do?

The listing should look like this http://www.ramboautotools.com/temp/V001.htm

I'm thinking it must be some sort of hidden formating thats making this happen.

Cheers,
    Alex
    It isn't starting a new paragraph for your details in the listing, but is putting in line breaks instead, so is still using the formatting from the previous line.
    It still has some of the word formatting in it but not much.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 8th February 2009 at 10:00 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Forum Newbie
    View RamboAutoTools's Feedback (+8)
    All-About RamboAutoTools
    View RamboAutoTools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi all,

I got this now, turns out to be pretty simple, it was the @ sign in the listing, changed to "at" now and all shows up well and good.

yes the one posted up on our website will be pretty rubbish html as it was done in word for quickness.

Cheers guys for all your help, right going to get on with some seriouse listing now only a few hundred products i want to list lol

Alex

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi all,

I got this now, turns out to be pretty simple, it was the @ sign in the listing, changed to "at" now and all shows up well and good.

yes the one posted up on our website will be pretty rubbish html as it was done in word for quickness.
    Ah right! Misunderstood you, sorry, thought that was the version you were starting from for the ebid listing. Did make my eyes water a bit.

Forum Newbie
    View RamboAutoTools's Feedback (+8)
    All-About RamboAutoTools
    View RamboAutoTools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yeah it never fails to amaze me how rubbish MS can make stuff, if you think their html is bad you want to take a look at VB, there is no surprise manufactures have to keep make faster PCs with the rubbish code that produces.

Cheers,
    Al

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Which listing?

And, yet again, what are you using to write the original auction description? I've looked at the HTML in a couple of your auctions and it is fairly horrendous.
    And again, I use the Turbo Lister to design and build my item descriptions. It's simple. Go into Turbo Lister, open up a listing if you have one, and then you'll see "description builder" open that and you'll see a "design view" which is the first window you automatically go on which is where you type everything you need in normal fonts (not HTML) and add banners, pics etc, or there is a "HTML view" which I never even look at, or a "preview" so you can see what the listing will look like. So I'm not using anything to create my HTML because it's done automatically in Turbo Lister when you use the "design view" to put in what you want in your item description. So, I'm not using anything to create the HTML code myself.

I've had this problem before with the editing of live listings on eBid, and other people have had the same problem too. We copy and paste into the eBid online description builder, everything is how it should be, then you save it etc, and when you look at the listing, everything is all over the place. Before Christmas last year it was happening but they fixed it and every was fine, and now it's happening again.
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Quote Originally Posted by darth_reaper View Post
    And again, I use the Turbo Lister to design and build my item descriptions. It's simple.
    In which case I'd suggest that you either learn the basics of HTML coding and do it manually, or download one of the hundreds of free packages which will produce better code than the stuff coming out of TL.

The problem is not really eBid, it's the junk code. It really is messy, complicated and unnecessarily bloated.

Same thing happening here. The line breaks get all messed up. I copy and paste from TL because all my descriptions are saved there so it's the easiest and fastest way to do it. Unless I start from scratch again, don't really know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by *artsbanquet* View Post
    Unless I start from scratch again, don't really know what to do.
    Try this:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

Pick something which looks good and use it to create decent HTML.

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by *artsbanquet* View Post
    Same thing happening here. The line breaks get all messed up. I copy and paste from TL because all my descriptions are saved there so it's the easiest and fastest way to do it. Unless I start from scratch again, don't really know what to do.
    Yeah, me too, bold gets removed from font, paragraphs end up out of order, and it's nothing to do with the Turbo Lister coding because it's been working fine since I've been on here copy and pasting from TL into eBid's online item description. I've only had this problem twice over a couple of days each, the first time, eBid did something to fix it, so it seems that fix needs doing again.

HTML is supposed to be universal so why one site should use one HTML code for bold font while another site uses a different HTML code for bold font is ridiculous. I've seen other sights that have different codes for font colours too opposed to the universal colour codes. What's the point? Just use the universal one! It's because of these different codes on different sites that we end up with problems like this instead of them using the universal code.

No point making your own HTML codes for font colours, bold text etc when a universal one already exists!

And like many other people, I'm not going to download something else when I already have a program that does the job and well anyway. Not my fault eBid doesn't have a program equal to Turbo Lister than I can use. Not my fault my computer came with Microsoft Works instead of Office so my spreadsheet is different from the one eBid uses so can't use that system.

It should be simple, copy and paste, job done, no problems. But when you get a site using a slightly different HTML code for certain things instead of the universal one, you get these stupid little problems that frustrate the hell out of you because you're spending 5-10 mins constantly re-editing the ONE listing! Lol! Can't win.

Anyways, things were working fine until yesterday, so something is obviously wrong somewhere on eBid because last time I had this problem eBid did something to FIX it and everything was fine again.

And like many, I don't see the point in manually doing my own HTML code when I already have a program that does the job for me. And as above, things were working fine until yesterday.

Maybe if eBid supplied us all with a page with no restrictions, then postage costs, terms, return policy etc, could all be placed on that one page with a link to it from each listing instead of having to put that info on every listing, so then people wouldn't waste endless hours having to re-edit listings, then having to re-edit them multiple times because they're not saving right.

I'd gladly do away with my postage costs, terms etc from the listings if I could have a single page with all that stuff on and link to it. Then the only thing I'd need on the listing is the link to that page and info on the item itself.

Spent 5 years of my life working with HTML and the last thing I want to be doing is manually making my own when I can copy and paste and be done with it lol! In theory lol!
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Thread Information