eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: if you sell new items

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

well..i have to say..this thread has been very helpful for me...i do sell new items most of which are free gratis from family...and unwanted gifts ect...but having looked at this thread i am now going to look into becoming a busisness seller...unable to go out to work full time at present ...i know i wont make big bucks..but it will give me a focus ect...and there is nothing to stop me sourcing goods (dont know what yet) and selling them....got some good advice from Merlin yesterday...(((thanks Merlin)))...and some tips from this thread..
    so...wish me luck...i will be annoying you all soon with questions...

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

You go girl!

All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    You go girl!
    thanks Kimbo...

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    lofty i did all mine over the phone but as i said had to wait a long time for my tax ref number which they said would be 4 - 6 weeks

and i have no arguments about people selling used items it`s up to them to register or not but anyone selling new items should be registered and should be showing as a business
    That part of the post was not aimed at you Merlin, I can't remember who but someone commented on high volume.

I shall have to phone HMRC during the week as I still have not received either a tax form or registration number. Although they know I have registered as I have had a training course and other paperwork.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

i wanted to go on that course but sadly me having to travel into birmingham is not a good idea as have to use public transport during day and my back cannot take it , just wish i was helped a bit more all i got from phone call was sorry we can`t do nothing if you cannot get to course so now have to pay accountant
    Don't you have a local enquiry centre Merlin? There's lots of useful guidance on the HMRC website too. I wouldn't expect any small to medium sized seller to need an accountant as long as they've kept records of stock purchases, sales and expenses. The only time things get a little more complex is if you have staff working for you, and if you're VAT registered.

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

As someone has already mentioned, HMRC have no interest in whether an account on ebid says 'business' or not. They just want individuals (or partneships) who are buying to sell, to register and pay the right tax.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    I've seen several large seller's on the site who have loads of information about how many years they have been in 'business'and I saw one the other day who said he had a bricks and mortar shop somewhere in London where his items were also avilable. His account was an 'individual' one !!! Surely eBid should at least do something about sellers that are openly saying they run a business elsewhere!
    They may not have bothered to change their account status on eBid, but that doesn't mean they aren't registered as a business with the tax office?

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HannaHolly View Post
    Don't you have a local enquiry centre Merlin? There's lots of useful guidance on the HMRC website too. I wouldn't expect any small to medium sized seller to need an accountant as long as they've kept records of stock purchases, sales and expenses. The only time things get a little more complex is if you have staff working for you, and if you're VAT registered.

i can get help over the phone but nearest tax office for me means a bus ride of about 30-45 mins and i can`t stand up or sit down for that long as for needing accountant

boy i tried everything to keep my books balanced but think my scales were wonky and selling on 5 sites plus selling items at boot sales and from home to friends and family was making things difficult to keep track of i think i might be able to manage it but at moment let accountant do the work and put it all straight ,

trouble is accountant as now given me so many spreadsheets to fill in i am struggling to update them all

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by *artsbanquet* View Post
    They may not have bothered to change their account status on eBid, but that doesn't mean they aren't registered as a business with the tax office?
    but by law your supposed to show your a business with the address details

All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

i can get help over the phone but nearest tax office for me means a bus ride of about 30-45 mins and i can`t stand up or sit down for that long as for needing accountant

boy i tried everything to keep my books balanced but think my scales were wonky and selling on 5 sites plus selling items at boot sales and from home to friends and family was making things difficult to keep track of i think i might be able to manage it but at moment let accountant do the work and put it all straight ,

trouble is accountant as now given me so many spreadsheets to fill in i am struggling to update them all
    that sounds like hard work ! ...i can feel my enthusiasim waning !

Thread Information