Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any computer experts out there?

Default Any computer experts out there?

My computer crashed last night for no obvious reason.
    I know that there MUST be a reason for it though.

It has done the same thing today about 4 times so far.

Anyone out there can have a look at my Hijack This logfile and see if anything obvious I can remove or disable?

Forum Diehard
    View QCPOTS's Feedback (+52)
    All-About QCPOTS
    View QCPOTS's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post

Anyone out there can have a look at my Hijack This logfile and see if anything obvious I can remove or disable?
    if you are on XP do a restore to an earlier date when you know it was working ok,

SEE what that does for you,

HI qc
    did that earlier after a couple of the crashes but they still continued.
    I also checked and cleaned my fans just in case it was an overheating problem.
    Running adaware and spybot now to see if can see any nasty stuff

Forum Diehard
    View QCPOTS's Feedback (+52)
    All-About QCPOTS
    View QCPOTS's Listings
    Forum Posts

You can also use this to test out the integrity of the machine to isolate whether it's a hardware or software issue. You don't have to actually install Ubuntu, you can just boot it off the LiveCD. You can also run memtest86 if you think it could be an issue with the memory chips (unlikely but possible).

This is a live Ubuntu Linux CD... just pop it in and boot off the CD. When you're done, shutdown and it will eject your drive so you can remove the CD and reboot to Windows.

The advantage of using something like Linux is that it is rock-solid and if it runs fine then you can at least eliminate the possibility of a hardware issue.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    Rick L. Vinyard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberpenguin View Post
    You can also use this to test out the integrity of the machine to isolate whether it's a hardware or software issue. You don't have to actually install Ubuntu, you can just boot it off the LiveCD. You can also run memtest86 if you think it could be an issue with the memory chips (unlikely but possible).

This is a live Ubuntu Linux CD... just pop it in and boot off the CD. When you're done, shutdown and it will eject your drive so you can remove the CD and reboot to Windows.

The advantage of using something like Linux is that it is rock-solid and if it runs fine then you can at least eliminate the possibility of a hardware issue.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    Trouble doing that is that you can't do much once you're booted without any additional programmes installed. Hard to judge if you would get any hangs just by booting an alternative operating system.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

For years now I've been using Adaware and Spybot, plus I use CCleaner (crapcleaner - free) every evening when I'm done on the computer. I also empty my prefetch folder every evening too:
    Start > My Computer > C: drive > Windows > Prefetch

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    For years now I've been using Adaware and Spybot, plus I use CCleaner (crapcleaner - free) every evening when I'm done on the computer. I also empty my prefetch folder every evening too:
    Start > My Computer > C: drive > Windows > Prefetch
    Keeps your computer (hopefully) clean from spyware, viruses etc.
    However, if you do get sudden hangs, as is the case here, it is hard to put a finger on the problem. Possibly easiest to do the obvious virus/spyware scan, followed by a reg clean. If they don't provide a solution, it's possibly time to start looking at the hardware.
    I had a similar problem earlier this week - couldn't get my pc to boot. Luckily there are 2 very similar machines in the house. I was lucky enough to substitute one piece of hardware after the other until I managed to boot it again. It turned out to be my RAM

Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View PATRIOT73's Feedback (+173)
    All-About PATRIOT73
    View PATRIOT73's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post

cud be ur pc is overheating as it will shut down automatically but a pop up shud appear 1st
    "WALKING IS DEFINITELY OVERRATED"

Quote Originally Posted by PATRIOT73 View Post
    cud be ur pc is overheating as it will shut down automatically but a pop up shud appear 1st
    She checked her fans and itisn't "overheating" weather yet - been b****y cold over here today.

Thread Information