eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: What is a proxy bid?

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default What is a proxy bid?

Can't seem to find an adequate and simple explanation of this function in eBid.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Default Re: What is a proxy bid?

A proxy bid is where you bid the maximum amount you wish to pay for an item and when others make bid, the software will continue to raise your bid until you've reached your maximum bid. For example:
    • an auction item starts at £50
    • you place a bid at £65
    • a second bidder enters a bid of £51
    • the software would then enter a proxy bid on your behalf of £52 and you would continue to be the high bidder
    • a third bidder enters a bid of £58
    • the software would then enter a proxy bid on your behalf of £59 and you would continue to be the high bidder
    • should no other bidder enter a higher bid than £59, you will win at that amount

Think of it as a way to ensure that you win the auction at a bit more than the highest bid made by others, without going over your maximum. This differs from many physical auctions in which, if someone bids £60 and you counter with a bid of £100, the bid immediately rises to £100.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: What is a proxy bid?

Quote Originally Posted by rocks2dust View Post
    A proxy bid is where you bid the maximum amount you wish to pay for an item and when others make bid, the software will continue to raise your bid until you've reached your maximum bid. For example:
    • an auction item starts at £50
    • you place a bid at £65
    • a second bidder enters a bid of £51
    • the software would then enter a proxy bid on your behalf of £52 and you would continue to be the high bidder
    • a third bidder enters a bid of £58
    • the software would then enter a proxy bid on your behalf of £59 and you would continue to be the high bidder
    • should no other bidder enter a higher bid than £59, you will win at that amount

Think of it as a way to ensure that you win the auction at a bit more than the highest bid made by others, without going over your maximum. This differs from many physical auctions in which, if someone bids £60 and you counter with a bid of £100, the bid immediately rises to £100.
    Hmm, I see, thank you for the explanation. I thought that was common to all such auction sites similar to eBay and eBid, just don't recall seeing it called proxy bidding before.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Thread Information