Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Operation cancelled

Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
    View brian64's Feedback (+125)
    All-About brian64
    View brian64's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Operation cancelled

I was due to into hospital to have a hip replacement at at 7 am this morning but got a phone call at 3.45 saying it has been cancelled due to the equipment needed to perform the procedure not being delivered.
    This operation has been planned for 6 months so how they failed to have the necessary equipment delivered is beyond me.
    The booking office brushed it off as if it was nothing saying we will send you out another appointment and i tried explaining it wasn't that simple as I had to get permission from my cardiologist to stop taking clopidogrel, being only halfway through treatment following a heart attack I will now have to consult with him again to start the medication and then to stop the medication again, this is all assuming that he gives permission for me to stop treatment if he dosen't then i won't be able to have the operation until the end of August so another 4 months of walking around with a hip that is partially collapsed

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Operation cancelled

Sorry to hear that Brian, but there is a method to the madness. Translates: saving of the mighty dollar or pound. When it comes to one's health, no one will have your best interest at the forefront better than you. Your first priority is to maintain balance by remaining as calm in the face of your challenge as you possibly can. Secondly, do not loose sight of your need to stabilize your cardiac condition with the clopidogrel (plavix) and other prescribed treatments.

When you speak with your cardiologist obtain the guidelines time wise that are needed in your case for starting and stopping the therapy. It is most important to stabilize your cardiac condition at this time. In the mean time protect your hip, use any equipment you have available or ordered to prevent stressing your hip. If you have to wait another 4 months so be it; use the time to fully recuperate from the heart attack.

Hope everything works out smoothly and in your favor.

All-About brian64
    View brian64's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Sorry to hear that Brian, but there is a method to the madness. Translates: saving of the mighty dollar or pound. When it comes to one's health, no one will have your best interest at the forefront better than you. Your first priority is to maintain balance by remaining as calm in the face of your challenge as you possibly can. Secondly, do not loose sight of your need to stabilize your cardiac condition with the clopidogrel (plavix) and other prescribed treatments.

When you speak with your cardiologist obtain the guidelines time wise that are needed in your case for starting and stopping the therapy. It is most important to stabilize your cardiac condition at this time. In the mean time protect your hip, use any equipment you have available or ordered to prevent stressing your hip. If you have to wait another 4 months so be it; use the time to fully recuperate from the heart attack.

Hope everything works out smoothly and in your favor.
    Thing is it will cost more when they eventually get around to doing it as they will to do all the pre op assessments again and i wasn't meant to see the Cardiologist to December now i will have to book another appointment with him.
    I am not starting back on the medication today until i hear from the hospital i lodged an official complaint and they said they would get back to me today i am hoping they can get the equipment in within the next few days and i can have it done if i take medication now i would have to stop it again for at least 7 days before the operation so i would rather stay stop it for a few more days than have to stop it for longer it depends what they say when they phone.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brian64 View Post
    Thing is it will cost more when they eventually get around to doing it as they will to do all the pre op assessments again and i wasn't meant to see the Cardiologist to December now i will have to book another appointment with him.
    I am not starting back on the medication today until i hear from the hospital i lodged an official complaint and they said they would get back to me today i am hoping they can get the equipment in within the next few days and i can have it done if i take medication now i would have to stop it again for at least 7 days before the operation so i would rather stay stop it for a few more days than have to stop it for longer it depends what they say when they phone.
    It's good that you put in a formal complaint; hope they can sort things out for you in a timely manner. Are you able to consult by telephone with your cardiologist? Can verbal directives be given for how long you can safely remain off your medications; can labs be checked/med be restarted if necessary, in needed dose without office visit? Have seen some doctors do that but others require an office visit.

All-About brian64
    View brian64's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    It's good that you put in a formal complaint; hope they can sort things out for you in a timely manner. Are you able to consult by telephone with your cardiologist? Can verbal directives be given for how long you can safely remain off your medications; can labs be checked/med be restarted if necessary, in needed dose without office visit? Have seen some doctors do that but others require an office visit.
    I am not sure he would do anything over the phone as this was my second heart attack after the first one in 2008 i had 3 stents put in the left side after my most recent one i had 4 stents put in the right side he said at the follow up appointment that during the procedure they notice further narrowing on the left side that they had already done in 2008 and that is was ok at the present but they would review me again in December.I am not going to run around trying to sort it out i will tell the hospital it is up to them to liaison with each other and form a safe treatment plan i am under 5 different consultants at 2 different hospitals i can't keep running for appointments theyhave internal secure systems they can communicate through.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Geez Louise. Hard to fathom how they can possibly not have planned ahead enough to have the right equipment. How totally frustrating for you. Sounds like some good advice given above, so will just add......you are in charge of you....so be good to yourself.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Dear Brian

Did you receive the phone call at 3.45 in the morning?

This is a terrible situation to be in and I hope that you can get it resolved.

And I hope that the NHS will take responsibility for doing all the joined up thinking and planning between the different members of NHS staff who are looking after you.

All-About brian64
    View brian64's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by westlondoncarparts View Post
    Dear Brian

Did you receive the phone call at 3.45 in the morning?

This is a terrible situation to be in and I hope that you can get it resolved.

And I hope that the NHS will take responsibility for doing all the joined up thinking and planning between the different members of NHS staff who are looking after you.
    No 3.45 pm which just happened to be convenient as the staff finish at 4 pm so when i phoned asking to speak to the person in charge of the theater i was told she had gone home and to ring back at 9 this morning but the PAL team said they would speak to the director of operations and phone me back shame parliament is in recess or i would get my MP to write to the Chief Executive

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brian64 View Post
    I am not sure he would do anything over the phone as this was my second heart attack after the first one in 2008 i had 3 stents put in the left side after my most recent one i had 4 stents put in the right side he said at the follow up appointment that during the procedure they notice further narrowing on the left side that they had already done in 2008 and that is was ok at the present but they would review me again in December.I am not going to run around trying to sort it out i will tell the hospital it is up to them to liaison with each other and form a safe treatment plan i am under 5 different consultants at 2 different hospitals i can't keep running for appointments theyhave internal secure systems they can communicate through.
    Wow Brian, that makes what they did not cool at all. No, you should not have to run around sorting out health provider's responsibilities. And yes, they have an absolute responsibility to properly develop a safe treatment plan and coordinate your care. Hopefully by the time they contact you, they will have accomplished just that.

All-About brian64
    View brian64's Listings
    Forum Posts

I had to contact my MP to get my angiogram done they cancelled it 4 times i had the heart attack on the 9th of May and didn't get the stents done until 5th of august and became ill 2 days after being discharged and had to be admitted again for 2 weeks i had got Clostridium difficile infection i am not very lucky were hospitals are concerned

Thread Information