eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best time of year to register a business?

Default What's the best time of year to register a business?

Hi all,
    I want to register as a business but wondered if there was a good or bad time of year to do it based on your experiences. With regard to the tax forms ( which I'm dreading ), would I save myself alot of hassle by just waiting for the new tax year in April. I'm sure there was a thread about this ages ago but can't find it now. I'd love to register now but happy to wait til April if that would be better. Can anyone throw some light on this please. Thank you.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: What's the best time of year to register a business?

Hi, not really sure how things work on your side the pond. But over here it does not really matter. We can elect "a calendar year" or "a fiscal year". The calendar year would run January thru December; and the taxes would be due in April of the following year.

Selecting fiscal year allows a bit more flexibility. So for example, if you chose your fiscal period to end in May (May 31, 2014). This would result in actually bypassing the upcoming tax year due date (April 15, 2014). So that tax year would run June 1, 2013 through May 31, 2014. The tax return due date in that case would be September 15, 2014. Over here anyway.

If business set up now, the report would just be for the few months involved, if calendar year used. Things are somewhat different here, so someone into business from your side the pond can clarify.

That's interesting. Like you say, don't know if that can be done over here. Maybe someone on here would know the rules for doing that in the UK. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by carolandjessica View Post
    Hi all,
    I want to register as a business but wondered if there was a good or bad time of year to do it based on your experiences. With regard to the tax forms ( which I'm dreading ), would I save myself alot of hassle by just waiting for the new tax year in April. I'm sure there was a thread about this ages ago but can't find it now. I'd love to register now but happy to wait til April if that would be better. Can anyone throw some light on this please. Thank you.
    Around May I would say.
    Save filling in a tax form for say just a month if registered in December.
    I think you used to have 3 months grace before registing

Looking for that Holiday caravan at Fantasy Island.
    In Ingoldmells near Skegness.
    6 berth double glazed spacious static caravan.
    Then click below to visit my store.

http://skegness-caravan-holidays.ebid.net/

New and nearly new clothing accessory bargains
    http://tops-shoes-coats-boots-to-go.ebid.net/

Why not become an ebid member

http://uk.nine.ebid.net/perl/normal....=register-main

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cushtydeals View Post
    Around May I would say.
    Save filling in a tax form for say just a month if registered in December.
    I think you used to have 3 months grace before registing
    I shall be sending my tax return in soon my runs from end of October to October because i send mine by post, if you do it online i think its January cant remember visit the inland revenue site for details. I started my business in the month of April, they sent me a tax return form through the post soon after.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know nothing about it but a found bit of info:

http://www.startupdonut.co.uk/startu...nting-year-end

View lakeleilani's Feedback (+434)
    All-About lakeleilani
    View lakeleilani's Listings
    Forum Posts

The Business Link website is informative and easy to understand. So long as you keep up-to-date records and receipts of purchases, sales etc, the tax return isn't anything like as daunting as it used to be.
    http://lake-leilani.ebid.net Fair Trade Clothes and accessories with a boho twist. For men, women and children.
    http://lake-leilani-occasions.ebid.net Handcrafted Cards and Fair Trade Gift Wrap.
    http://lake-leilani-gifts.ebid.net Fair Trade and Handcrafted gifts, incense and homeware.

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lakeleilani View Post
    The Business Link website is informative and easy to understand. So long as you keep up-to-date records and receipts of purchases, sales etc, the tax return isn't anything like as daunting as it used to be.

This link maybe helpful

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/your-tax-return.htm

Quote Originally Posted by carolandjessica View Post
    Hi all,
    Don't worry it's not as bad as you would think it's only a two page form these days instead of the huge booklet they used to send ! Just make sure you keep a record of what you paid for things and what you sell them for and make sure you keep any receipts of tax that you get from building societies or savings accounts etc for the financial year and you should be fine. They usually send out tax forms around June for the previous financial year which have to be completed on paper by the end of October or online by the end of January.

It doesn't matter when you register you would get a form next June which you fill in from time of registering until April 2014.
    Last edited by cornishmaid1961; 13th October 2013 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    Don't worry it's not as bad as you would think it's only a two page form these days instead of the huge booklet they used to send
    for the first two years you get the full form after that the tax office "might" decide to send you the short two page one.

Thread Information