Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so few auctions?

Forum Newbie
    View dewayne4151's Feedback (+302)
    All-About dewayne4151
    View dewayne4151's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Why so few auctions?

Since I've been on Ebid I've noticed maybe 80% of listings are BUY NOW. This is disheartening. Ebid is just as viable a marketplace as Eeeebay. On the bay, I sold most everything in $0.01 auctions. I employ the same strategy here as well. If you sell anything but crap, this will serve you well. If Ebid is ever to replace Ebay we will have to approach it with the same confidence as the bay. It was the auction-not buy now- that put Ebay on the map.

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Why so few auctions?

I list with a auction price as the minimum I will accept for the specific item, and then the "buy now" price - what I would really "like" to get for it. Sales are about 50/50 buy nows and auctions.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dewayne4151 View Post
    Since I've been on Ebid I've noticed maybe 80% of listings are BUY NOW. This is disheartening. Ebid is just as viable a marketplace as Eeeebay. On the bay, I sold most everything in $0.01 auctions. I employ the same strategy here as well. If you sell anything but crap, this will serve you well. If Ebid is ever to replace Ebay we will have to approach it with the same confidence as the bay. It was the auction-not buy now- that put Ebay on the map.
    Google rules state that sellers need a Buy Now price if they want to be included on the Google search engine, therefore, many sellers place a Buy Now price - including a start bid price not much below the Buy Now price - so that they get exposure with Google.

All-About JohnPGalt
    View JohnPGalt's Listings
    Forum Posts

The situation is the same over at the other big auction site. Most listings are "fixed price."

I always list a "Buy it now" price to get in Google shopping results. That's a given.

As for the low opening bid, no reserve auctions, they work in some categories. They work more on the other site where there is more traffic. I'll be dabbling in those again soon here in one or two categories.

The key is, you have to have a following of customers/bidders, and they have to know you're going to do it. I use a blog, with links from by blog to every item I am selling or auctioning (everywhere, not just one site). After a month or so of selling and auctioning and sending out a flyer with every order (on all sites) showing my website/blog address, I usually will have enough interest from my own repeat customers to have successful auctions here. That might work for you. I was away for many months (a year or two), and I'm just getting going again. I plan to do some auctions again on both sites soon. I do have a few auctions a week (3 or 4) running right now on the other site, again, as a way to get my information out. I'm also listing a bunch of items here, looking for Google shoppers who want a decent price for a specific item.

Having said that, I'm also wondering which works better for the auction pieces here. On the other site, I put a very competitive "Buy it now" price (usually 10% or so lower than I'd really be comfortable selling), and a very low ($0.99, or sometimes even $0.01) opening bid with no reserve. The "Buy it now" goes away on the first bid. My items then show with a good price in Google shopping, but usually someone thinking they have a chance at an awesome deal will open with a low bid. Ultimately, the item sells well above the initial "Buy it now" price I had. It works for electronics and coins (two of the categories I see you selling).

For items I have parked "in stock, waiting for shoppers," I put only a BIN price which is usually in line with what I expect as a final auction price, or slightly higher. I also may (or may not) enable Make an Offer on those items.

If someone is looking for a specific item and I have it, they can buy it now. I also say in the description that I do put items up for auction, and if they want to try that way, use the "Ask Seller Question" link to ask for an auction. If possible, include your preferred opening bid amount.

Historically, with my strategies, I was seeing high enough bids here 2 years ago that I was netting slightly more after fees here than on eBay, though the customer was paying slightly less. It was a win-win-win for me, the customer and eBid.

YMMV, and there are huge differences between categories of merchandise.

I'll probably play a bit on one or two of your items. It should be interesting.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Oh dear

Name:  trollspray.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  6.6 KB

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPGalt View Post
    The situation is the same over at the other big auction site. Most listings are "fixed price."

I always list a "Buy it now" price to get in Google shopping results. That's a given.

As for the low opening bid, no reserve auctions, they work in some categories. They work more on the other site where there is more traffic. I'll be dabbling in those again soon here in one or two categories.

The key is, you have to have a following of customers/bidders, and they have to know you're going to do it. I use a blog, with links from by blog to every item I am selling or auctioning (everywhere, not just one site). After a month or so of selling and auctioning and sending out a flyer with every order (on all sites) showing my website/blog address, I usually will have enough interest from my own repeat customers to have successful auctions here. That might work for you. I was away for many months (a year or two), and I'm just getting going again. I plan to do some auctions again on both sites soon. I do have a few auctions a week (3 or 4) running right now on the other site, again, as a way to get my information out. I'm also listing a bunch of items here, looking for Google shoppers who want a decent price for a specific item.

Having said that, I'm also wondering which works better for the auction pieces here. On the other site, I put a very competitive "Buy it now" price (usually 10% or so lower than I'd really be comfortable selling), and a very low ($0.99, or sometimes even $0.01) opening bid with no reserve. The "Buy it now" goes away on the first bid. My items then show with a good price in Google shopping, but usually someone thinking they have a chance at an awesome deal will open with a low bid. Ultimately, the item sells well above the initial "Buy it now" price I had. It works for electronics and coins (two of the categories I see you selling).

For items I have parked "in stock, waiting for shoppers," I put only a BIN price which is usually in line with what I expect as a final auction price, or slightly higher. I also may (or may not) enable Make an Offer on those items.

If someone is looking for a specific item and I have it, they can buy it now. I also say in the description that I do put items up for auction, and if they want to try that way, use the "Ask Seller Question" link to ask for an auction. If possible, include your preferred opening bid amount.

Historically, with my strategies, I was seeing high enough bids here 2 years ago that I was netting slightly more after fees here than on eBay, though the customer was paying slightly less. It was a win-win-win for me, the customer and eBid.

YMMV, and there are huge differences between categories of merchandise.

I'll probably play a bit on one or two of your items. It should be interesting.
    I like your thinking.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    Oh dear

Name:  trollspray.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  6.6 KB
    Will a fly swatter do?

All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

@ JohnPGalt

My goodness, another member with excellent advice, thank you.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Frankly, selling at auction is not really geared for all types of merchandise. If the item is unique or hard to find and there is an interest in it, it will probably do well at auction. New mass produced stuff will probably do better fixed price.

Of course, a lot depends on how many bidders are in the house at the time. Rarely will an item do well at a live sale without bidders present. The same applies here.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    Will a fly swatter do?
    I've got so BS spray at home bot I couldn't be bothered to photograph it..lol

Thread Information