Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Friday charity auctions - the rules

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Pink Friday charity auctions - the rules

This will no doubt bring up some discussion and more good ideas, so as I review the rules I'll make changes to this post, and if it gets overly complicated I'll start a fresh thread and kill this one.

So here are the rules as planned at the moment.

• Pink Friday charity auctions will be run in aid of Breast Cancer Care (BCC) Pink Fridays campaign. More can be read about that here: http://www.pinkfridays.org.uk/
    • Auctions should be started at any time on a Pink Friday, and should run for three days, to finish on the following Monday.
    • A Pink Friday is any Friday in October 2009. So those are: 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th.
    • The title of your auction should contain "BCC pink" for ease of searching.
    • Your item should have a pink theme. You can apply that as loosely as you wish.
    • You may list your item in any category, but if you're struggling to decide where, there's always "Auctions for Charity > Cancer".
    • You may start your auctions at any price - but the lower the more interest you're likely to get.
    • There is no maximum expected value - you're free to make as much as possible for BCC!
    • You may use BuyNow instead / as well if you prefer.
    • All money you collect should be donated to BCC Pink Fridays campaign - If you can, please do this using Smiffy's "Just Giving" page, as this will keep a running tally for us. http://www.justgiving.com/charyn-smith/. If for any reason you can't use that page, you can pay Herbie by PayPal gift for the first week, further help to follow if needed!

There is a Pink Fridays template available if you wish to use it (you don't have to!) at http://www.bykimbo.com/ebid/help/bcc.htm

So, what have I missed? What would you like added?
    Last edited by bykimbo; 23rd September 2009 at 10:17 PM.

Great work (as always) Kimbo

Just a few thoughts:

• Does the "any time Friday" to "any time Monday" also apply to USA/other time zone sellers?
    • Should there be more emphasis put on the fact there are actually 5 "Pink Fridays" throughout the month? It'd be a shame if everyone loaded up the first couple of weeks with listings only for it to fade out by the middle of the month.
    • As eBid are endorsing this charity could there be a specific (temporary at least) "Auctions for Charity > Pink Fridays" category?
    • Should there be a maximum expected value of any item on offer or is it "anything goes!"?
    • Should the seller state within the description that it's all for charity?

Rock, Pop, Indie, Dance and more CDs

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hypn0t0ad View Post
    Great work (as always) Kimbo

Just a few thoughts:

• Does the "any time Friday" to "any time Monday" also apply to USA/other time zone sellers?

Unless anybody says otherwise, that works for me. Remember, there's no element of competition on this so we can be fairly relaxed, we just want to make money for BCC.
    • Should there be more emphasis put on the fact there are actually 5 "Pink Fridays" throughout the month? It'd be a shame if everyone loaded up the first couple of weeks with listings only for it to fade out by the middle of the month.
    • As eBid are endorsing this charity could there be a specifi

It's already in the rules, along with the date of each one - I think that's as much as the rules can do, but feel free to mention it as much as you like.

c (temporary at least) "Auctions for Charity > Pink Fridays" category?

Smiffy put a request in the cats thread, but nothing's happened and it doesn't seem important to me. The Cancer category's not over-full.
    • Should there be a maximum expected value of any item on offer or is it "anything goes!"?

Anything goes! I'll add that to the rules, thanks.

• Should the seller state within the description that it's all for charity?

I think sellers should use their own judgement about how to word their listings. I don't feel a rule is needed - but if the consensus is otherwise I can add something in.

Thanks for sorting this out Kimbo. Will we have a pink pimp thread when the auctions start ?

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    Thanks for sorting this out Kimbo. Will we have a pink pimp thread when the auctions start ?

Good question! I don't know the answer to that. Maybe one for the previous PF thread to discuss?

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Good question! I don't know the answer to that. Maybe one for the previous PF thread to discuss?
    O.K. just popped it onto the other thread, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post

I think sellers should use their own judgement about how to word their listings. I don't feel a rule is needed - but if the consensus is otherwise I can add something in.

If sellers are listing items for charity I'd personally like to see some acknowledgement of the fact within the listing (unless there was a minimum donation amount taken automatically).

I am just a *tiny bit* cynical though so don't mind me

Rock, Pop, Indie, Dance and more CDs

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

If sellers are listing items for charity I'd personally like to see some acknowledgement of the fact within the listing (unless there was some minimum donation amount taken automatically).

LOL

But seriously... what are you hoping the wording would achieve? I'm not sure what the benefit of a rule would be? What would they have to say... and how would it ensure honesty? (I'm assuming your cynicism is suspecting a lack thereof? )

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying no and I'm happy to make any changes, but I don't quite get this one yet!

If sellers are listing items for charity I'd personally like to see some acknowledgement of the fact within the listing (unless there was a minimum donation amount taken automatically).

Just taken another look at the template. It makes mention in the BCC Pink Friday template that bykimbo has kindly done that the proceeds go to the charity.

Link to it in post 1

Hope that helps.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Thread Information