Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gazza can I suggest

Default Gazza can I suggest

Following on from this mornings outage can I suggest a similar system to that implemented by my ISP that maintain this page to inform users of any problems. http://status.adsl24.co.uk/

It would, I presume be a simple matter to redirect the eBid URL to point to a page such as this whilst problems are sorted.

This would create a more professional impression to eBid users and potential users than the current default page that appears whenever there is a problem.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    Following on from this mornings outage can I suggest a similar system to that implemented by my ISP that maintain this page to inform users of any problems. http://status.adsl24.co.uk/

It would, I presume be a simple matter to redirect the eBid URL to point to a page such as this whilst problems are sorted.

This would create a more professional impression to eBid users and potential users than the current default page that appears whenever there is a problem.
    Thats a great idea and something that should be used if it's possible. Like you say it would give a much better image than the link is broken, error 404 etc

View paully58's Feedback (+3)
    All-About paully58
    View paully58's Listings
    Forum Posts

some of us don't even get that, when I tried to get on e bid this morning all I got was Internet Explorer cannot display this page and that was it
    paully58

All-About paully58
    View paully58's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo750 View Post
    unfortunately that would not work in this case as its the host thats down so you cant redirect.
    I would of thought there must be a way to let people know the sites down however it may of come about?
    paully58

All-About paully58
    View paully58's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is different to eBid going down for software updates. as thay can add the "Quick software update message"

But to answer your question, yes there is a way, by changing the dns, but it would mean ebid could be down for 24 - 48 hrs rather than 1-3hrs
    can't you use a backup dns or something like that or use the present server while setting up a new server? I don't know if you can it's only a thought really
    paully58

must have been bad as when their is an update going on there is some sort of message, at least you can get into the forums. This time - nothing.

Surely a quick redirect by the DNS to my suggested page should be able to be acheived, would solve a lot of hassle. If my ISP can do it surely eBid can.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    Surely a quick redirect by the DNS to my suggested page should be able to be acheived, would solve a lot of hassle. If my ISP can do it surely eBid can.
    I would have thought a DNS redirect would do the job reasonably well, once it became obvious it was more than a minor outage. Some DNS caching will mean that for some cases the outage message is then displayed beyond when it needs to be, but that has to be balanced against *everybody* being just dumped otherwise. However, I'm no expert on DNS and Jimbo seems quite confident, so perhaps he'll have a moment to explain why it would extend the outage.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Im no expert ether but i have had experience with this about 30 times

For the answer search for " dns propagation "

Some sites i change update instantly but with the the majority of dns changes i have had to wait 24+ hrs for propagation. once i had to wait 50hrs

It's a bit like how long is a length of string ?
    Well... since I know what DNS propagation is already, I won't search. But since you've got personal experience of having problems with it, I'll just take your word for it.

When we decided it was cheaper to outsource our server it took 3 days before we got full propagation for our new IP address.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

Thread Information