Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Gazza? A little peek at this, if you will... Checkout Bugs

Unhappy Gazza? A little peek at this, if you will... Checkout Bugs

Auction ID 1222637988-18230-29
    Bought using the BIN button, I was UNABLE to checkout using Pay Now feature- some javascript warning kept popping up saying that first class mail must be less than 13 ounces. Seems to be a seller should not be able to post an auction with calc. shipping and 1st class mail when weight exceeds limits (not seller's fault, I dont believe - should have trapped that before it could be posted anyway)

Anyhow, contacted seller, we agreed since I was bidding on another item, (1222956334-8282-0) to wait for that one to expire, at which time we'd combine shipping and all and pay all at once. no problem.

Auction expired today, got invoice, noted these few points:

1) auctions still had shipping charges listed separately (undesirable - they should list the buy price, and combined weight and one shipping charge option)

2) Due to this, and the shipping fee on the second auction, seller also posted a $1.00 discount to take away for that $1.00 shipping on the first auction. (OK so far, seems awfully kludgy)

3) I clicked on Pay via P**pal... I got AGAIN a pop up warning that first class mail cannot exceed 13 ounces.. I clicked OK. then here's where it gets weird.. the invoice re-calculated and *REMOVED* the $1.00 shipping from the first auction (leaving the $1.00 discount though) and what should have been a $9 and change invoice turned into $8 and change.. (so seller is $1.00 short.. )

OK.. Im thinking "OK, I was just reading earlier about a bug with p**pal, I'll go checkout anyway and see if they get it right" - Well they did, sort of- but still had that $1.00 shortage in the p**pal invoice. (because PP was only sent the total that ebid calculated incorrectly) Ive just checked out, Im sending the seller an extra $1.00 to cover that shortage.

I really think the checkout process needs some serious debugging and re-tooling really really soon.. or there's going to be a lot more problems pretty soon, I will bet, as more Feebay sellers and buyers start coming here to do business..

Gazza: Being a techy type myself, I can probably give a much more detailed and verbose explanation of what was happening via a PM if you want mroe info. I dont want to detail too much here, for privacy reasons, obviously.

But I think this is a pretty serious flaw in the flow of multiple auctions being combined for checkout, in several places, in addition to the silly javascript popup about weight limit...

I'll work with y'all for as much as it takes to get it sorted out.. just thought I'd point out what may become an increasing issue if it isnt nipped in the bud in very short order..

I think the quickest (and most correct) fix would be have auctions that are to be combined list ONLY the buy price for each, and weights (if calculated shipping) , and give a sub-total, THEN have the seller (or buyer as case may be) select and/or set the shipping on the TOTAL order, not each auction individually.. That would be the most correct fix to the issue, and resolve the confusion that has been going on for this whole transaction series
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Oh yes- I forget to mention. after completing checkout, PP sends me back here, where I get this right up front:

You bought 1 item(s) for $3.71 each using BuyNow. Use the After Auction Log (AAL) dropdown menu below to request an invoice, ask a question and add notes or payment details about this auction. If the seller accepts PPPay.com, PayPal or Google Checkout then checkout links will be shown below.
    Wrong on 2 points- this should say Ive bought 2 items in total, and give the correct pricing for the whole, including shipping, IMHO...

Definitely looks like checkout and calculated shipping (and combining auctions) still needs quite a bit of work...
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

It's possible I misunderstood, but it sounds as if one of your suggestions is to automatically calculate the total weight for multiple purchases for the invoice. I can see a potential problem for store like ours.

If (for example) a buyer were to purchase one of our LP records and a heavy beer stein, there's no way they could be shipped in the same package. It would require a very large box, and probably cost more than separate shipping. Also we'd be very lucky if the record arrived in one piece, no matter how much packing we put in. I would refuse to ship them together.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    It's possible I misunderstood, but it sounds as if one of your suggestions is to automatically calculate the total weight for multiple purchases for the invoice. I can see a potential problem for store like ours.

If (for example) a buyer were to purchase one of our LP records and a heavy beer stein, there's no way they could be shipped in the same package. It would require a very large box, and probably cost more than separate shipping. Also we'd be very lucky if the record arrived in one piece, no matter how much packing we put in. I would refuse to ship them together.
    Yeah- not quite what I meant- I meant for it to be calculated when the *seller* chooses to combine the auctions for combined shipping in one package-

The way FeeBay does it, when a seller goes to "Send Invoice" All auctions won by the same buyer are listed with a checkbox, which you can check to include both in the same invoice for combined shipping, it's a seller's option.

But when they actually DO combine shipments, the total shown to the BUYER should combine the two as if on an actual invoicing system -

I.E.

Line1: BigLIttleFob Auction ID 1234567890 $3.99 1Lb 3 Oz.
    Line2: LittleBigBob Auction ID 9876543210 $9.99 2Lb 6 Oz.

Subtotal: $13.98 3Lb. 9 Oz.
    Shipping: [Select Method] (incl. Handling) $6.75 USPS Parcel Post
    Tax: (Some State, x%) $1.23
    Insurance: [ ]Checkbox to add Insurance $1.70

Total: $21.96

Button to Re-Calculate (greyed out unless something changes)
    Button to Pay Now (PP, Google, PPPAY, whatever)

The Seller would have to:
    a) select both items for combined shipping
    b) seller can adjust shipping weight for calculation
    c) can require (or make optional or refuse) insurance
    d) can add additional shipping options and cost/price to choose from

When seller has done that, the invoice would be presented to buyer as above, and Buyer can:
    a) choose insurance (if optional and not required)
    b) select seller's default shipping or choose other method offered
    c) accept as-is
    d) re-calculate invoice if anything changed
    and e) finally, click choice of buttons to checkout by whichever method

and if buyer chose to send check/money order/ other paper via mail, it would create a "promissory note" which buyer sends seller acknowledging invoice and letting them know what, where, when payment is going to be sent, by what method, etc.

right now, the two auctions are presented as 2 separate items including separate P&P/shipping&handling charges, which really added to my confusion- while going through the process, I had absolutely NO idea what my final total was actually going to be until I get to the actual PP website and login to the final "send money" button - I didnt know if I was going to have to pay $8 or $9 or $10 or what.. very confusing.. Even from an experienced web/tech/sysadmin geek that has done thousands of transactions online.. It was just very very.. messed up is the only way I know to put it

OK. Making it optional and easier to do. My second sale was a combined shipment, and I agree it was somewhat confusing.

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Might be an idea to send this suggestion to support@ebid.tv and mark it for the attention of Gazza and Mark

good point.. thought they lurked here regularly though.... too bad they havent set up a bug reporting tool (like Flyspray, perhaps, it's even debian packaged) I'll do it tomorrow (erm, I mean sometime later today after Ive had some sleep) if need be..

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Checking into this.

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Wink

Another bug: My last buyer said there was not a pay now button for her to check out. I don't accept pp or google, only money orders or checks or Revolutionary Money Exchange. Apparently a buyer can only 'checkout' if PP or google is an option.

I need the buyer to be able to checkout and indicate whether it is a MO or check they are sending, which method of shipping they are choosing, and if they want insurance.

This buyer was so distressed she said she wanted to cancel sale and had no intention of buying on ebid's site again. Of course I smoothed her feathers, hopefully, and have sent her an invoice directly. But I should not have to do this. S/H was already calculated, so if the system had allowed it, all my buyer would have had to do was click payment method, shipping option, insurance option, & then checkout.

Ebid needs to fix this problem as quickly as possible for those sellers who fled eb*y because we could no longer accept MOs & checks and who do not wish to accept PP or any other form of electronic payment.

Thanks.

Default Ditto here, only in reverse

Same sort of problems here, too.
    Except in this case, I am the seller.
    Shipping is not being calculated correctly.
    Also, I cannot contact the buyer using normal methods. Thank GOD you list the buyers real email address.

Also, listing upload page is a little glitchy. (FYI)

Val

Thread Information