Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Paypal and Google Checkout links not working?

Thumbs down Paypal and Google Checkout links not working?

How exactly is the form supposed to look? I wanted to use the Pay Now feature on an auction I just won, so I click the link to "Pay Now Via Paypal" it drops open a little box with selection for "Ship TO" where I put my zip code, and "Via" which only has one option.. there is no submit button at all?

or do I have to go through re-calculating postage on the auction (which it wont do because seller selected first class mail, and it pops a warning that weight can not be more than 13 ounces, so Im guessing seller set a higher ship weight)

This is my first auction purchase, and from the looks of it, probably the seller's first sale...

I suspect E-Bid is going to see a lot of new U.S. sellers and buyers because of recent uproar over a couple of E-Bay's policies - as of 10/20/08 the ONLY way sellers can accept payment for auctions (officially) is via Paypal (which Fee-Bay owns) or Pro-Pay (which is not an option for casual sellers) - sellers can no longer request paper payments (money orders, etc).. and a LOT of sellers (including a number of PowerSellers) are quite ticked off.

So, my first experience here, I am guessing will take a little getting used to, but the fact that there is no Submit button for the Pay Now option is VERY VERY confusing..

Hopefully someone at E-Bid will take notice and correct that issue - Ajax and Javascript sure does make for a pretty site, but, without clear interface, it is also very confusing..

I would strongly suggest that Ebid at least add a button or obvious instruction that you have to calculate postage first before getting a button.. or I am betting it will result in a number of frustrated buyers..

I'd sure like to see E-Bid become a serious competitor to Ebay.. it's a great place, well done.. but, little tiny bugs like this that experienced E-Bidders are used to, can be very off-putting for new users...

Forum Newbie
    All-About WhisperingRaven
    View WhisperingRaven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, Indeed! Thank you for this post ideal! I am the seller being referring to and yes, I seem to be having trouble getting the invoices/payment options to work. The invoice is not properly calculating shipping costs either. We chose to use PayPal invoicing for the time being, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Could I have done something wrong in my listing maybe?

Oh good. good to hear from you! It appears to me you selected the shipping type as First Class Mail, and somewhere in your settings it has a shipping weight in excess of 13 ounces - which is the USPS weight limit for First Class mail. Either way- I just got your invoice from Paypal as I was writing this, so I'll go ahead and get you paid. thanks.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't trust the shipping calculator here, I didn't trust it 'over there' either, so I never use it.

Instead, I use flat rate shipping across the board.
    I weigh my total package, go online to usps.com check for the weight v cost add packaging/handling fee plus DC for my total shipping fee, then I use that for First class mail/media mail/priority mail, whichever is the cheapest (media mail for my books)

I do the same for international shipping, flat rate cost.

I've had no problems with my invoices doing it that way.

Are you a seller+ member WhisperingRaven?
    As far as I understand it, buyers don't automatically receive an invoice if the seller is not a seller+ but have to send an invoice via poopal or google checkout. Someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

~Jan~
    Last edited by jeweleffects; 9th October 2008 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    I don't trust the shipping calculator here, I didn't trust it 'over there' either, so I never use it.

Instead, I use flat rate shipping across the board.
    I weigh my total package, go online to usps.com check for the weight v cost add packaging/handling fee plus DC for my total shipping fee, then I use that for First class mail/media mail/priority mail, whichever is the cheapest (media mail for my books)

I do the same for international shipping, flat rate cost.

I've had no problems with my invoices doing it that way.

~Jan~
    Yeah. I thought about that myself - But, Ive alwayd had great success with the shipping calculator exactly matching what shipping actually cost + what I needed to cover materials, DC, etc.

Ive tried several different methods, but on my unique item auctions (single items, which I dont have, or cant get more of the same) It's an awful lot of extra work to do this for each different unique item, so I rather just post the known weight of the item + known weight of appropriate box size + estimated weight of packing materials + 3 ounces extra just to be on the right side - Generally when you are over 13 ounce weight most packages will be calculated in 1 Lb. increments, so I'd rather be on the side of charging 2Lb weight on a 1Lb. 15 Oz. Package than charge 1Lb 14 Oz and end up with a package of 2 Lbs+.. I can always give a refund if the postage paid is more than it needs to be... (and it's only happened twice, EVER in my seller career)

If I was selling renewable product/commodity (re-stockable) , then I would probably be more inclined to set a flat shipping fee (probably will on the product I do have that I have multiples of) based on actual cost of postage..

Either way, shipping calc always worked well for me.. but then I've been shipping entirely Domestic US shipments...

Anyhoo.. I do see your point just setting a flat shipping fee would have prevented the issue I experienced, but then so would have selecting a method that wasn't First Class Mail , or adding a second optional method...

Or, if Ebid could add in some code that reads the shipping weight the seller has already listed, and then checks against the shipping method the seller has selected, and warn before the auction can be posted- that would have prevented the whole issue to begin with - (I.E. Selecting First class mail, and weight is over 13 ounces, would have made seller go back and correct it, or , package dimensions in the dimensions input calculated to be oversize, etc... little bits like that to help the seller prevent mis-posting wrong/too much/ too little shipping for whatever reason.. just as sort of an advisory thing... )
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Hi. I have finally gotten google account and we'll see if it works. I already have a paypal account on another site but jhow dpo I get it on this site? I cannot find anywhere to sign into it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Barb

Quote Originally Posted by barbara9749 View Post
    Hi. I have finally gotten google account and we'll see if it works. I already have a paypal account on another site but jhow dpo I get it on this site? I cannot find anywhere to sign into it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Barb
    Both paypal and google can be set up in your MyEbid -> My Personal Details - Scroll down a bit and you will see the inputs for a) Paypal Email Address , and b) Google checkout merchant ID and access key.

Hope that helps
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Ok. Thanks ideal. I have done everything except What is a merchant key? I can't find that

Ok. Thanks ideal. I have done everything except What is a merchant key? I can't find that
    Google checkout- when you sign up for merchant in order to take payments, you have to submit bank info (bank account) and Google deposits a random amount , which you then have to find out from your bank, in order to verify it is your account and you have access..

But, from your account panel, sales tab, on the right side you should find your merchant ID , and somewhere within that section they also list your "key" that you have to put in, with merchant ID , in your ebid panel, in order to integrate google checkout for taking payments Google will give you Merchant ID and the "key" = a matched pair, which you will find when you login at checkout.google.com

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

See the sticky thread at the top of this forum - that tells you everything you need about Google checkout . Link below
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=106940

Thread Information