eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you remember about school dinners.

View Barrattess's Feedback (+2717)
    All-About Barrattess
    View Barrattess's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    I know you were sick on purpose!!
    I worked as a lunchtime supervisor (aka dinnerladies) in an infant school for 14 years. We didn't force them to finish the food, but they had to have a taste. And there were always 3 choices

So....it was you was it?.....

Look at my face...see what you did to me...lol

Have a click...You know you want to...

Forum Saint
    View FairMaiden's Feedback (+600)
    All-About FairMaiden
    View FairMaiden's Listings
    Forum Posts

I remember people pulling faces like Barrattess' lovely avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I don't know how you all do it, I can just about remember this morning's breakfast.

Luckily I take after Dad and have a memory like an elephant. Its great for the good memories ...
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

I remember for dinners we have..... spam fritters (floating in 10ins of fat), bird's nests (spag bol) and mashed pots with everything

dessert was....prunes & tapioca (frog spawn), rosehip syrup & semolina, jam sponge & custard

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    I know you were sick on purpose!!
    I worked as a lunchtime supervisor (aka dinnerladies) in an infant school for 14 years. We didn't force them to finish the food, but they had to have a taste. And there were always 3 choices

1. Eat it
    2. Leave it
    3. or a clip round the ear.
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ah yes, memories of school meals. It sounds like most of you had a bigger variety than we did and it all sounds pretty good except the liver. I've never liked liver althogh i used to eat braunschweiger (sp?), the cold liver sausage.

We had some pretty good meals too and i never understood how people could sneer at institutional food. Even if it's not cooked gourmet style, it's usually bigger variety than a kid would get a home because no parent (in those days always mother) would cook that many items per meal, consistently.

We had a lot of "goulash" which was macaroni with tomato sauce, onioins and hamburger. I loved vegetables and in first grade made a huge impression on my tablemates by getting five servings of canned spinach and eating them of course.

We had to clean our plates. There was a lunchroom woman standing by the exit door. We had to scrape off any SMALL leavings into a communal waste bowl that must have been no bigger than four quarts. In other words, we weren't allowed to throw away food.

When we had things i literally coudn't stomach, i got pretty creative about stuffing them into my pockets. We had recess right after lunch so it was like prisoners hauling out dirt from a tunnel dug in a prison camp.

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View DaisyChain's Feedback (+76)
    All-About DaisyChain
    View DaisyChain's Listings
    Forum Posts

I fondly remember pink, green and white custard with my pudding
    but the thing that always sticks in my mind is the one HUGE meatball we used to get with some meals, it was the size of a tennis ball.....i swear!
    Click here to see my items for Sale!
    Amiga, Mega Drive, Playstation Games and More!

I liked everything except tapioca and semolina puddings. Yuk.

Here in the U.S. ( The Land of Everything Good and Pure ) back in the 50's I only recall pizza that had the taste of newspaper ladled with drying ketchup and questionable cheese.

" Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't. "
    Ben Franklin

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...-and-Militaria

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevil-COMICS

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...CTCs-and-Games

This thread threw me for a minute because we Yanks call it "lunch", you Brits call it "dinner". Assume we're both talking about the noontime meal? It does sound as though the U.K. fed kids better than the U.S.

I have always loved liver and onions, guarantee you we never got that! Lots of us were on a federal assistance program for low income families, got hot lunch for $2.00 a month. The school got free surplus food from the same government agency, so we ate whatever arrived. Lot of macaroni mixed with whatever, lots of Jello, reconstituted canned orange juice (only fruit juice we got, we loved it), lots of hamburger and hot dog dishes. Fortunately, I lived in Minnesota, where the cooks knew how to make a "hotdish" that tasted pretty good from just about any ingredients they could find!

Thread Information