eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What did you used to do Before Computers!

My first computer was a Dragon32, then an Amstrad 464 followed by the 6128 before my first real PC a 286 that cost about £1400 with 1K memory and a 40 meg drive !!! It's been downhill ever since
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

The thing with life before computers (and electronic technology) - life was harder, but the pace of life was slower. Days lasted longer somehow.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Fall asleep on the sofa watching telly and wake up with cushion imprints in my cheeks ....now I fall asleep at the computor and wake up with keyboard imprints in my forehead!

I also used to drink less coffee and get more sleep. But on the plus side, anything I need to know is now just one click away. I sure could have done with that all those years ago when I installed a new shower tray for the first time

View maplegin's Feedback (+1177)
    All-About maplegin
    View maplegin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Babs agree with you days allways seemed to last longer, we used to play board games with the family & tried to do things as a family on a Sunday, & I actualy used to watch more tv. though if you think about it there arecertainly more programs on now, its strange can actualy remember when you didnt have not stop tv.

Quote Originally Posted by maplegin View Post
    Babs agree with you days allways seemed to last longer, we used to play board games with the family & tried to do things as a family on a Sunday, & I actualy used to watch more tv. though if you think about it there arecertainly more programs on now, its strange can actualy remember when you didnt have not stop tv.
    And when there were only 3 channels...BBC1 & 2 and Granada (up north). I grew up with out a telly ... mum said the telly broke and she realised dad was doing more jobs about the house while it was broken so never got it fixed!

I used to:
    • have trouble striking up conversations (I still do IRL, but it's so much easier to make a fool of yourself online, they can't see the embarrassed blush)
    • be able to know whether I fancied someone before making any kind of effort to chat them up
    • not fall for people I wound up finding unattractive IRL (that sucks something chronic)
    • not be turned down out of hand by those who found me repulsive (the flipside)
    • read books
    • write letters longhand
    • go out a lot more
    • get more exercise
    • get laid more often
    Why use QWERTY? Get Broadband for your Fingers with Dvorak SKL!

We only had 3 channels, when I grew up, all watched on a black and white tv. Dad was chuffed that he had the first remote control tv in the village .....

... when he wanted a different channel - I'd get a nudge with the words 'hey poppy, turn the telly over'. It was the same with the fire - he had an automatic heat control ... yes that was my job to. At the grand age of 7 I could light the house fire and have a blazing furnace within a short time. Even the Aga which was a b...h to light, which I had to do sometimes if I forgot to get the coal in for it. mother didn't have any to put on it, she'd leave it go out for spite. Horrible woman.

Hard work .. yes ... but fun and I always found something to do. A great thing I found for stress relief - cutting hedges, or digging the garden. Any manual labour which meant I could vent my anger - which was quite often with mother around.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    My first computer was a Dragon32, then an Amstrad 464 followed by the 6128 before my first real PC a 286 that cost about £1400 with 1K memory and a 40 meg drive !!! It's been downhill ever since
    I heard you We're the Master of the Babbage computer!

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Taliking about sorting out fires I can remember having to go outside on a cold dark winters night to fill the coal scuttle, kids today don't know they're born
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    Taliking about sorting out fires I can remember having to go outside on a cold dark winters night to fill the coal scuttle, kids today don't know they're born
    Don't forget the outside Loo!

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Thread Information