Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: OLD NEWS (eBid open four new sites)

Default OLD NEWS (eBid open four new sites)

Hi this is going back to Jan 2008 Just wonering if any ebidders know if there are many on ebid making a living of here

Here is the page from Jan. also put a link to the page
    the chances are most of you have read it

http://www.tamebay.com/2008/01/ebid-...new-sites.html

eBid open four new sites

by Sue Bailey

This post was written in January 2008; specific information contained within it may be out of date.
    eBay-wannabees eBid are opening four new national sites: members in South Africa, New Zealand, Singapore and India will be able to buy and sell as of next week. Apparently this is in response to “demand from users in other countries”. eBid are also trumpeting successful figures: November 2007 saw an increase in sales on 57% in the UK and 221% in the US… measured against figures from June 2007. If you can’t increase sales in the month before Christmas, you’re doing something really wrong: year on year figures would have been a much truer measure of sales growth. As those have not been given out, the natural assumption is that they weren’t actually all that impressive.
    Meanwhile, professional sellers who use eBay as one of their channels, who are frequently told by eBid fans that they should give other auction sites a chance, might like to consider this thread from the eBid forums: 9 sales is a good month on eBid. I’m happy for their happy seller, but frankly that wouldn’t even keep this household in cat food.
    I’m often accused of bias against non-eBay auction sites, and it’s true: I don’t think there’s a single one where you can make a decent living. So while I have their attention, I’ll throw a challenge to eBid: find me half a dozen people who make their full-time living on eBid (excluding employees!) and I’ll give it a go myself. And blog it, of course.

YOU WOULD HAVE TO GO TO THE LINK TO READ REPLYS
    FROM EBAA AND EBID MEMBERS

This site is run by two ebaa power sellers
    Would be good if ebid had a site like this, or if any members start one up or is there one

Just wonderd Cheers Ken

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello Ken. I said on another thread that in terms of making a living from eBid, it depends on if you are looking at it as a hobby, topping up a pension, or, needing it to provide a reasonable income - one which will pay a mortgage, utility bills, rates, petrol, food, etc. I suspect that few if any are taking a living wage (multiply average single sale revenue by feedback as a seller as a rough gross calculation). However, as a long time seller, a power seller for a while, on eB-y, I would never look to internet auctions to be my sole source of income - those days, I think, are long gone.

(Sue Bailey is also apparently a consultant for eB-y, and as such is hardly the best placed person to deliver a verdict on eBid.)

I think many of us who earn a living via selling stuff look at on line auction sites as another venue/out let for their stock rather than the ONLY venue

Quite agree with Somerset!

I use 4 venues: eBid, Green Metropolis, Play and Amazon and I still couldnt make a living from all of them put together. As a note: thus far this year I have listed 6 items on eBay as well, only 4 sold, everyone used Paypal (expensive) and they were all books so the FVF was 9%! I listed them on the bay because they had been languishing on Amazon and here for a while, they were worth too much to list on GM and were not in Plays database.

The thread the start of the post links to has to be taken in context. And that is not in the article. I am the author of said post. The context is that I am a part time seller of items that are rare (mostly) and of value to some but of no value to the majority! Clearly in this situation eBay is a mostly worthless venue for me. Different items work on different sites and eBid has given me the majority of my profit this year. If it was not for eBid and Amazon I would have given up on online selling a long time ago.
    Last edited by inversions; 16th August 2008 at 02:02 PM.

Intrestting replys Good to find out more on these subjects you come accross.

Thanks for your replys and time Ken

Thread Information