eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: genuine sellers??

Forum Newbie
    All-About tj5566
    View tj5566's Listings
    Forum Posts

Exclamation genuine sellers??

hi, even though i've been a member for 4 years i've never bought or sold anything yet, would you trust a seller who has just joined, and will only except cheques or postal orders for his auction, his auctions seem to good to be true!!! (video game consoles), what can i do if i am conned this way after paying say £100 for an item and i don't recieve, any advice from experienced ebidders would be grateful.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View maroy41's Feedback (+1089)
    All-About maroy41
    View maroy41's Listings
    Forum Posts

If it's too good to be true it may not be, I would be very wary, you could lose more than you gain.
    Great books reasonable prices please click on the logo below and browse around I have quite a selection for you to choose from.

Some great Dvd's --->
    Here

I would be very dubious with a new seller selling expensive items, even if Paypal were offered as i dont think you get any come back from Paypal on other non Ebay sites.

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'd be wary too. Have you tried using the 'ask a question' feature on the listing to ask if the seller has a feedback record elsewhere you could check?

I've just had a look at the Nintendo category. There are a few in there that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. One has answered a few questions but in doing so has revealed that the item's location is not the UK as stated on the listing - they are dropshipping.

For high-value, scam-prone items like these I would not risk a cheque or postal order and for preference I would shop on the high-street where my consumer rights are easier to enforce if anything goes wrong. If I had to buy via the internet I would check whether paypal or even my credit card company would give some protection for an item not received/damaged/fake but for Paypal I think a refund might depend on the funds being in the seller's account.

As others have said if it sounds to good to be true it usually is. I appreciate all sellers have to start somewhere, but ask why is it a high value sought after item that they are listing, it's not as if it's a new seller trying to get rid of an old PC for example. I sold several low cost prints before selling more expensive paintings. Trust has to be built.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Hi,

I'd like to pipe in here. I am a new seller to eBid and look at this as yet another channel to sell. I've sold high-ticket items and low-ticket items. You're right, PayPal is pretty much focused on eBay, since eBay owns PayPal. Some of the folks who sell on auctions, as I do, also own stores and have websites. Usually, but not always, if someone is engaged in auction sales and also has a website or a brick-and-mortar store, they are probably not going to cheat you. Yes, it's true you do have to start somewhere. Everybody has a first day. I try to sell different price ranges, and I'm not in a rush. I've got quality stuff, and I'm very patient. Yes, you do need to be careful online--and that's true for buyers as well as sellers. There are new scams coming on board every day.

Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Bearsden06's Feedback (+26)
    All-About Bearsden06
    View Bearsden06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Follow your own instincts if you dont like it first time looking it will not get any better,As someone as already said check out on the high street first rather than risk losing all your money.
    Sometimes with these items its better buying from a known retailer at least you have a chance by standing in the shop on a busy Saturday afternoon of getting something replaced !!!
    Bearsden06
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/secondtime-books Still trying to find that elusive book why not visit us we may just have it.=For other collectables come and see us at http://uk.ebid.net/stores/DudleysCollectables

So... ask them if they'll accept Google Checkout...

But, that's assuming you get protection for non-eBay sites through GC (I'm not sure if you do or not, so you really should double-check).

And, if they complain about the fees, I believe that GC is fee-free until next year. So, if they persist with checks only when there is a fee-free alternative I'd say that's a deal you should avoid.
    Rick L. Vinyard, Jr.

Forum Newbie
    Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View nene70's Feedback (+193)
    All-About nene70
    View nene70's Listings
    Forum Posts

i know who you are talking about and my thoughts where exactly the same as yours, i have decided the follow the old saying of "if it looks to good to be true then it probably is" i always try to see the best in people but have been caught out with the "bargain of the century"!!!

Thread Information