Ross-On-Wye, Herefordshire, United Kingdom
    View WoW_Balloons's Feedback (+140)
    All-About WoW_Balloons
    View WoW_Balloons's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Watch for this scam

Hi All
    PLEASE watch out for this scam

This one is pretty slick since they provide Y O U with all the information, except the one piece they want.

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it. This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard".

The scam works like this: Person calling says,
    "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify.

This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank) did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £497.99 from a Marketing company based in London ?" When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on the back of your card (0800-VISA) and ask for Security.

You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works the caller then says,

"I need to verify you are in possession of your card." He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 was charged to our card.

Long story - short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master Card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening

Sorry its so long

PLEASE watch out

Ann

Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Bearsden06's Feedback (+26)
    All-About Bearsden06
    View Bearsden06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for for this info it seems like a very good scam which one could easily be taken in by

Bearsden06
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/secondtime-books Still trying to find that elusive book why not visit us we may just have it.=For other collectables come and see us at http://uk.ebid.net/stores/DudleysCollectables

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I pride myself on Not being caught out by scammers BUT would have Easily fell for this one. NOW I wont! Thank you!

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Another one.. an elderly aunt has received the promise of a half share of $12.4m. Now you and I recognise the internet style scam but she is sure it's real. It came as a proper paper letter from an apparently real Spanish lawyer and there has been a follow-up phone call.

Fortunately, their website assures me that the man who wrote to the aunt has a degree from the University of Copenhagen, Sweden!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Saint
    View Cocksparrer's Feedback (+424)
    All-About Cocksparrer
    View Cocksparrer's Listings
    Forum Posts

Why the hell cant they just get a job like everybody else. I hate these scammers, it is because of them that our Insurance rate is so damn high.

Thank you ABITOFADO for bringing this up for us to read. I have seen this sort of stuff in my daily work, but its usually the other way around.

yeh thanx for the info. I will tell my friends n family spec my hubbie as he often geta calls from the real visa comp to confirm wat he has just or about to spend on his card. its normally big buys for the trucks at any1 time, but hes the sort of person that is too busey to listen and would probably tell them just to get them off the phone

Thank you for posting the sordid details.Will likely save a lot of people some unpleasant shocks.Well done you.....

Thread Information