eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Automatic Car?

View pastime's Feedback (+198)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Automatic Car?

All responses sound extremely positive, which is very encouraging - it's so limiting to dread driving anywhere, I only stick to driving locally now and tend to go supermarket shopping on a Sunday because the roads are quieter (all insane, I've driving for over 30 years and driven many different cars, all old bangers, so that doesn't help with confidence, but I'm just getting worse).

My other query would be that I'm going to have to buy at the bottom end of the second-hand market - as Autos get older are they more likely to be too expensive to repair, are they more likely to enter the 'better to scrap because it's good money after bad' situation?

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    That wouldn't be a problem for my Billy as he doesn't have a left foot.....or left leg !
    Never again will I take for granted being able to brake with my left foot, even though Astral says no, No, NO!!
    Using my left for the brake keeps that leg from "going to sleep" due to pinched nerves and arthritis, especially on long trips and I've not had a problem switching to a shift stick when I need to.

Best of luck Pastime - send us a picture of what you decide

I changed to automatic when in my thirties, a long time ago! That, too, was due to a "dodgy" left knee (old rugby injury - haha).

The benefits are many and they have already been stated. You have a much more relaxed drive, especially in heavy traffic, and far fewer aches and pains.

You do not need to use the shift to get into a lower gear, for overtaking for example; all you do is "blip" the throttle with your right foot and the car will change down. I use the shift to lock into a lower ratio when going downhill with a load behind. Anybody who has tried approaching Fishguard from the South with a trailer in tow will know what I mean!

First time i drove one, down the A12 from London, I forgot it was an automatic and went to change into third as i approached a clear roundabout, and did a spectacular nose dive of an emergency stop, much to the annoyance of those behind me! I've never made that mistake since!

My current car has a footrest for the left foot; and although I have the aches and pains of age, my rugby knee has given no problem for years!

Do get some help with learning to use it as it is different from a manual box; learning the trick of changing gear with the accelerator makes life so much easier!

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi,
    Just to update this thread. Thank you to all that replied - a huge help for me to make a decision.
    Have now bought a Y reg Corsa auto, but haven't been able to find auto lessons locally and the car doesn't have an owner's manual.
    Have spent part of the day terrorising the neighbourhood by crawling up and down the road at 20 mph, to get used to it.
    Haven't yet gone on a 'real' road - what is the best setting for waiting at traffic lights? Should you keep car in D, with foot on brake or put into N with handbrake on and foot on brake, and should you do the same at roundabouts?
    Many thanks for any help - can see that it is better for someone like me - will just have to get used to it (and stop shaking like a leaf).
    Many thanks.

Congratulations!! I searched for images and those are cute little cars

Check this site for a PDF download of the manual for your model https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/manuals.html

"Terrorizing the neighborhood at 20 mph" is probably the best thing you can do. A driving school would probably have a totally different car to teach you in and you'd still have to get used to the "feel" of yours.

Just leave the transmission in Drive and keep your foot on the brake. You never know when some idiot might make a wrong move and you need to get out of the way quick!

Happy Driving!!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

If I thought or knew I was only stopping for a few seconds I would hold it on the footbrake (if your Vauxhall gearbox is like mine that puts the gearbox, internally, into neutral). If stopping for longer (e.g. waiting at lights) or on an uphill incline then I would put the handbrake on - which also stops you blinding any driver behind you with your brake lights.

On level ground an automatic will tend to creep forward with no depression of the accelerator, on a rise it will roll back so I hold it on the handbrake, give it a bit of throttle until I feel the 'bite' then release the handbrake.

Really, treat it much like you would a manual gearbox - apart from not physically putting it into neutral as you were likely taught when you learned to drive with a manual gearbox.

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you both, for your help and advice. I'll get a bit more practice on nearby residential roads today and then try a 'real' road tomorrow afternoon, when I hope the roads will be quieter and give me a chance to feel more confident handling those situations.
    Thank you for taking the time to help.
    Marie.

Thread Information