Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Moron of the Year Award - another Senior moment

View pastime's Feedback (+198)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Moron of the Year Award - another Senior moment

Woke up at 5.30am, instantly awake, with the realisation that the large letter I'd posted to Australia only had a postage stamp to cover Zone 1, I'd forgotten to add the extra stamps (why didn't I think of that before posting!).
    Does anyone know the likely outcome for this situation?
    Is it returned to me by my local sorting office or will it only be picked up when it gets to the large Bristol, Temple Meads sorting office or Heathrow? Or worse still, will it land in Australia with an additional bill for the, rightly peeved, poor recipient?
    Outcome will be even more delayed by the Bank Holiday weekend.
    Any experience of such a situation (car problems and a sulking printer caused this) will be gratefully received.
    Many thanks.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Moron of the Year Award - another Senior moment

you might get lucky and escape detection

To be honest I don't know what would happen with an overseas item. If someone posted an item to me with not enough postage in the U.K. I've had to go and pick it up from the Bath sorting office and not only pay the extra postage but also a handling charge.

I would try and contact the Bristol office and explain what has happened and ask if there is anything you can do about it. It might be in your favour that it is the Bank Holiday weekend !

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have no idea what the situation is with International mail, but in this Country a card is delivered to tell you that an item is at the sorting office and that there is a surcharge on it. Which they expect you to pay.

I work in the NHS and our post room staff have been told that if there are any surcharges to be paid they should send the items back. They are then sent to Belfast where the item is opened and returned to the sender as undelivered.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View pastime's Feedback (+198)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi,
    Thanks for your help.
    I did try phoning sorting offices, but automated reply.
    Looks as though all I can do is await the outcome (hard to stop kicking myself).
    Annoying thing is, at the same time (because of the Bank Holiday delay) I also posted a large letter to Switzerland but didn't have a European-cost stamp and used a Zone 1 thinking that it was OK to over-pay (I hope) - pity they can't balance the two out.

Could be easier all round if they'd charge a medium price to cover all International letters up to 100g, but that would be too easy and deny us all the pleasure of driving to PO, finding a parking place, sweaty walk to PO, stand in long line behind someone paying in bags of small change/filling in passport details etc., having to tell the whole queue behind you what's in the letter/parcel and how much it's worth. In my situation the proof of postage is a waste of time because jewellery can't be claimed for if lost or stolen, unless using Special delivery, which often costs as much as the costume jewellery is worth.
    Rant over, but it takes all the fun out of online selling.
    Many thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by pastime View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for your help.
    I did try phoning sorting offices, but automated reply.
    Looks as though all I can do is await the outcome (hard to stop kicking myself).
    Annoying thing is, at the same time (because of the Bank Holiday delay) I also posted a large letter to Switzerland but didn't have a European-cost stamp and used a Zone 1 thinking that it was OK to over-pay (I hope) - pity they can't balance the two out.

Could be easier all round if they'd charge a medium price to cover all International letters up to 100g, but that would be too easy and deny us all the pleasure of driving to PO, finding a parking place, sweaty walk to PO, stand in long line behind someone paying in bags of small change/filling in passport details etc., having to tell the whole queue behind you what's in the letter/parcel and how much it's worth. In my situation the proof of postage is a waste of time because jewellery can't be claimed for if lost or stolen, unless using Special delivery, which often costs as much as the costume jewellery is worth.
    Rant over, but it takes all the fun out of online selling.
    Many thanks for your time.
    Wow - bad day! It sounds like something I would do! I think I might be tempted to send a message to the one I didn't pay enough on to explain that the stamps got switched and if they have to pay for part of the shipping I would offer to reimburse them or give them credit on another purchase??

Hope it turns out well and remember, tomorrow is a NEW day - we get a re-do!!

Thread Information