Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: New to eBid - Need a little advice re Store Categories and setting up stores

Question New to eBid - Need a little advice re Store Categories and setting up stores

Hello all,
    I used to sell on eBay and have recently decided to start selling a few bits again but decided eBay is no longer an option due to the fees policy. Soooo - I have taken the plunge and have got a seller+ account here and am currently preparing the ground before starting to list.

I would very much appreciate a little advice on a couple of questions I have regarding my stores.

1) I mainly will be selling vintage collectables - mainly ceramics but I also have a number of vintage prints. I thought I would set up 2 stores initially. One under category - Art>Prints but I'm not sure about the other for the ceramics. I thought either - Collectables>Decorative & Ornaments OR Porcelain, Pottery & Glass>China & Porcelain although some is pottery, some stoneware and some china. What do you guys think? I have looked at existing stores to see what others are doing but it seems pretty much split.

2) If I set up the store in one category can I then change it to another if it doesn't work out?
    3) When I start adding listings can they appear in more than one of my stores or only one? If they can appear in more than one that would solve the problem mentioned in my first question as I could set up 3 stores instead of 2.

Sorry if these are silly questions it's nearly 3 am and my brain is starting to turn to jam. Hope the above makes sense. I need more coffee. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated - Thank you

View RameRetro's Feedback (+33)
    All-About RameRetro
    View RameRetro's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: New to eBid - Need a little advice re Store Categories and setting up stores

Welcome to eBid.

I'm new too, (also with a Seller + account) so others will be able to give you better advice I'm sure.

What I can tell you that "extra" categories here only cost 5p, so it is well worth listing in more than one category if appropriate. The extra category option is at the bottom of the form when you are originally posting your item and can also be edited later.

You can make up your own category names within your store. I only have the one store at the moment so I don't know if you can list items in more than one store, but I'm sure others will know.

I have been here two weeks and sold three items which I am pleased about because I was warned things were "slow" here compared to the other side. The forum is very friendly and I have picked up good advice here on how to get the best out of my listings.

You do have to put a bit more work in though. You will need to ensure your items get uploaded to Google Shopping, so for vintage and collectables you will need to put "exempt" in the bar code box on the listing form. Avoid over use of capitals and punctuation in your titles, Google shopping can't cope with it! Also bear in mind what "key words" you will use in your title. Only "Buy It Now" items get uploaded, as far as I know.

You can promote your items here through social media. I use Pinterest, Google + and to a lesser extent Facebook.

You can also use "Plug Your Auctions" in the forums.

Let old customers know you are here and use your eBid shop address on flyers, business cards.

Basically you are allowed to run your business as you see fit, without pressure to offer first class or free shipping, and there are no FVFs on postage.

It does feel more like running a proper business because you do have to work a bit harder to make sales. You can't just post something and wait for it to sell in a few hours, like on Feebay. You will keep more of your money when you do sell though and I have found the whole process very enjoyable.

I am still using Feebay at the moment but the majority of my stuff is now here. An item I couldn't shift over there sold within two days on here. I'm sure it will work the other way too. When I am more established here I may well abandon Feebay, but at the moment, the more platforms I can use, the better.

Very best of luck.

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: New to eBid - Need a little advice re Store Categories and setting up stores

errrrrmmmmm
    i'm not certain that you can be accused of asking silly questions....but instead, i feel that you're asking unnecessary questions and from here making something simple seem slightly complex.

Some would say that seeing as you've invested your hard earned money into seller+ membership, then you should take advantage of everything it has to offer and use your stores.....these same people will also tell you that you need to list everything on an auto relist basis to ensure that your listings climb to the top of the relevant category as the listing "times out", they'll also inform you that utilising social media is a must.
    i would suggest that this advice amounts to no more than a few red herrings when searching to find the best methods to use when attempting to create sales with this site.

The best way to ensure that your listings are seen...and when i refer to seen, i mean to be made visible to prospective buyers from outside of Ebid....because this is where the buyers come from.
    I advise the full and clear use of keywords within your listing title, clear photos, value for money shipping charges, international shipping, i would give Brazil and Hong Kong a miss at the moment. Good keywords will allow your listings useful visibilty within a Google search, you can add "exempt" where the listing form asks for barcode/manufacturers part number.

unfortunately setting stores will not be the deciding factor when it comes to making sales....after all....using your stores will only group your chosen listings into one single area....and nothing more.

I would give the other points your serious consideration and not fret over how use your stores.

Smile Re: New to eBid - Need a little advice re Store Categories and setting up stores

Thank you both for very helpful and informative replies - it is much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpingkadoo View Post
    Hello all,
    I used to sell on eBay and have recently decided to start selling a few bits again but decided eBay is no longer an option due to the fees policy. Soooo - I have taken the plunge and have got a seller+ account here and am currently preparing the ground before starting to list.

I would very much appreciate a little advice on a couple of questions I have regarding my stores.

1) I mainly will be selling vintage collectables - mainly ceramics but I also have a number of vintage prints. I thought I would set up 2 stores initially. One under category - Art>Prints but I'm not sure about the other for the ceramics. I thought either - Collectables>Decorative & Ornaments OR Porcelain, Pottery & Glass>China & Porcelain although some is pottery, some stoneware and some china. What do you guys think? I have looked at existing stores to see what others are doing but it seems pretty much split.

2) If I set up the store in one category can I then change it to another if it doesn't work out?
    3) When I start adding listings can they appear in more than one of my stores or only one? If they can appear in more than one that would solve the problem mentioned in my first question as I could set up 3 stores instead of 2.

Sorry if these are silly questions it's nearly 3 am and my brain is starting to turn to jam. Hope the above makes sense. I need more coffee. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated - Thank you

1. Either, I would lean towards Porcelain, Pottery & Glass.

2. Yes and it would take a matter of seconds to do.

3. They can only appear in one of your stores - if they appeared in two stores then it would be a duplicate listing. Personally as long as the category is relevant then that is about as far as I would think about it - the categories you create in your store are far more important. To expand on that: a lot of exposure comes via the keywords you use in your titles - buyers will more often search than browse. Once you have that buyer click on the first listing - having a store (one of the most vital things to have on eBid) means they are more likely to check out what else you are selling and then you have a far more captive audience.

No question is silly - not asking a question and getting it wrong can be silly - some answers can also be silly .

A warm welcome Rumpingkadoo. Come and join me in pottery we need lots of good sellers to give a good variety which in turn equals more buyers coming over to browse !
    Glad you have joined us.

Smile Re: New to eBid - Need a little advice re Store Categories and setting up stores

Thank you for the input, welcomes and prompt replies. I decided to go with Porcelain, Pottery & Glass for the ceramics. Great advice from everyone - thank you.! I'm working my way through the help pages and tutorial videos also and the knowledge base - all extremely helpful information.

Looking forward to getting up and running. Going to need more coffee!

Not new but have been away for a very long time. Just reopened my store. I not sure if I can link to Google Analytics. Can I?

Thread Information