eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New seller: How easy is it for customers to buy on ebid?

All-About bargaincare
    View bargaincare's Listings
    Forum Posts

Talking New seller: How easy is it for customers to buy on ebid?

Hello. I've got a modest little business on ebay at present - I'm still within the first year of trading, but aiming to gear up next year.

This is me by the way: (URL deleted by bargaincare after being told!)

I've been looking at ebid for about a year but haven't yet got round to trying it. Ebay's latest attack on sellers (calling us all "defects" and expensive managed returns) has been the prod that I needed to start looking at your site properly, and I'm aiming to transfer over here within weeks.

Firstly, the domain will cease to be a transfer to ebay, but instead will give two buttons - one for the ebay shop, another for ebid. I plan on reducing the prices on here below ebay prices and will tell customers about this before they choose. So the plan is to run on both sites in parallel, but try and pull people in on ebay then bring them over here. I'd guess this isn't a new idea.

My main question I would like help with is this...

If I persuade someone to come here to buy something (either from my old shop url or from google), then how easy is it for them to buy? I'm assuming that the majority will not have an Ebid account and will not have heard of you. Could someone, for example, just log in using just their Paypal account that they already have and have the item automatically sent to their Paypal address? If so then that would be fantastic. If not then is this something that could be considered?

I'm thinking about the buyer who's already set up on ebay/paypal and is just looking for a way to buy without setting up another username/password, waiting for confirmation emails etc.

I just want to know that you're making it easy for people to cross over.

Thanks
    -Sean.
    Last edited by bargaincare; 20th March 2014 at 11:44 AM.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: New seller: How easy is it for customers to buy on ebid?

Someone else will help you about how easy it is to sign up and buy, I'd probably get it wrong.

But I think that ebid does not allow you to list your own website details on here, or in your about me.

Welcome to ebid.

View mcc1146's Feedback (+226)
    All-About mcc1146
    View mcc1146's Listings
    Forum Posts

It is pretty easy for them to register for a free account to both buy and sell here. Not hard.
    Then there is opportunities to upgrade their account- which would have major benefits for future sellers.
    You can offer a registration link to them , and by them signing up- from your link, you will earn buddy points that you can use/ spend on eBid promotions .

You should offer paypal as a payment mode -they know it already. You can also offer other payment modes as well.

Don't overlook the Knowledge Base and Help Links for answers and videos on setting things up.

Welcome, Welcome , Welcome.
    Last edited by mcc1146; 20th March 2014 at 11:38 AM.

A warm welcome bargaincare. You need to disable that link in your opening post as ecommerce links to other sites are not allowed.

eBid buyers need to fill in the registration form as far as I know as it's eBid's policy to keep us all safe here. If something doesn't tally, say with an address, then eBid will request more validation from the buyer which is good as it keeps the scammers out.

All-About bargaincare
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the replies and welcomes!

I'll remove the URL - I was including it for info only, I'm not trying to advertise.

If a buyer has two browser tabs open for the same item - one for eBay where they're already logged in, and one for eBid where it's say 10p cheaper but they need to signup then there's a risk they may choose ebay as they don't have to do anything other than click Buy It Now.

I'm hoping that there are as few obstacles as possible in their way. Perhaps I should log out and try buying something.

If you do need to sign up, then would eBid consider some kind of "guest" access with a Paypal account? You could always send an email after, telling them the benefits of signing up, but you'd have a new customer you may not have had otherwise.

Wakefield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View thebeddingman's Feedback (+239)
    All-About thebeddingman
    View thebeddingman's Listings
    Forum Posts

My estimate would be that for 10p 99.99999999999999% will buy on Ebay

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Welcome to eBid Bargaincare. Noticed you were currently a buyer.........I take it that you plan to upgrade to Seller. Would recommend the Seller + Lifetime Membership. It is by far the best value membership level for any serious seller here. Provides ample time for you to build your business here. I have earned back my membership fee multiple times and then some, and I am not one of the most active sellers here. Perhaps providing prospective buyers of eBid's registration process would help; they should be able to register easily.

View mcc1146's Feedback (+226)
    All-About mcc1146
    View mcc1146's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargaincare View Post
    Thanks for the replies and welcomes!

I'll remove the URL - I was including it for info only, I'm not trying to advertise.

If a buyer has two browser tabs open for the same item - one for eBay where they're already logged in, and one for eBid where it's say 10p cheaper but they need to signup then there's a risk they may choose ebay as they don't have to do anything other than click Buy It Now.

I'm hoping that there are as few obstacles as possible in their way. Perhaps I should log out and try buying something.

If you do need to sign up, then would eBid consider some kind of "guest" access with a Paypal account? You could always send an email after, telling them the benefits of signing up, but you'd have a new customer you may not have had otherwise.
    Hi, I am not sure about if that idea has been asked for in the past. Here is a link where to create a new thread and ask that question
    to the administration http://www.ebid.net/forums/forumdisp...te-Suggestions

After posting on the suggestion thread, and giving staff some time to reply, you could also contact support directly if no reply to your post. Staff will reply pretty quick in my experiences.

All-About bargaincare
    Forum Posts

Thanks very much - I will put this one in the suggestion box you sent a link to, and see what becomes of it. I have seen many e-commerce shopping sites allowing a login with just a Paypal address in recent years - they usually give a choice of "Register" or "Sign In with Paypal" buttons.

Yes, I did just register a new free account with eBid the last time eBay beat up its sellers (the commission on postage thing). But eBay introduced the Top Rated Seller 15% discount that almost made up the difference, so I grudgingly forgave them. Now this is under threat, as they've introduced a bizarre new system that means that for many sellers they won't qualify any more. I'm still a good way under the "defect" limit, but if a few buyers were to send me an email (seriously), then that could be enough to cancel my TRS status. It appears that they're engineering the whole system to remove the TRS status from as many sellers as possible.

This is at the same time as introducing a massively expensive new compulsory returns system that doesn't help either buyers or sellers but sends yet more revenue via ebay. It's a blatant land-grab of another revenue stream that they didn't own before, cynically disguised as an improvement for customers.

If you need an education on how to seriously upset your sellers, just have a browse of the UK ebay sellers' forums. This time it's definitely very different, and eBid has been mentioned a few times on there so I won't be alone in dipping my toe in the eBid waters.

My eBid account will be upgraded to Seller+ with a shop the day I start transferring everything over.

Thank you all very much for the warm welcomes. I feel like I've stepped out of a blazing wreck, coming over here!

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Glad you are here. You sound very sensible!!
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Thread Information