eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It looks like eBid is creating duplicate listings

Default Re: It looks like eBid is creating duplicate listings

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    I am sure there is a problem, Tia. I suspect that the extra listings will be previously successful listings which have mysteriously relisted (I've had this happen).

What Marie is asking is about where you get your total from because... the list under myeBid>Auctions I'm running is often inaccurate, as is the number on your all about page. The only number which I find to be consistently correct is the link http://us.ebid.net/items/TiasTreasures

(which currently shows 7701, btw)
    That's exactly what I meant. It's the only auction count number location that seems to be accurate. The others seems to be lagging, depending on whether there are auctions closing. As I wrote in that thread that I started, last night I had some that lagged when I started new listings. They showed up in my listing total (from the About Me) but not in a general search.

It gets very confusing some times.

And I'm sorry if I sounded a little on the terse side this morning. Was in the middle of something and got interrupted when I was responding to your question. :-)

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31680)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I find that Ebid can be slow to update at times, maybe it is slower with large numbers of listings.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View banrigh's Feedback (+2954)
    All-About banrigh
    View banrigh's Listings
    Forum Posts

The count is slow to refresh itself. When I repost a large number of items (more than 5) it seems to take up to 48 hours to show a correct number.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

While I'm overly concerned with a slow refresh rate on some of the eBid pages, the reposting of closed auctions is another matter. One that potentially could cause the seller serious problems and possibly create legal issues leading to unpleasant consequences for the seller. Items that have already been sold and are relisted without the seller's knowledge could lead to a seller being charged with fraud. What if the listing closes and the seller lists it on another site?

Another issue is what disciplinary measures, if any, would eBid take against a seller if their glitch causes duplicate listings against site policy? This could result in something of an administrative mess for both the seller and the site costing time and money to sort out.

While I'm sure that some, if not many, of you think I look at things with too much of an eye toward potential legal problems, the fact is that in auction business this is always a major concern. Being governed by a board of overseers that has the authority to suspend and/or revoke one's license to do business is a serious matter. So a potential legal issue is something that I take very seriously and while the casual seller may think that such concerns are over the top, consider how you would take the possibility of your livelihood being taken away because of an issue with a minor sideline business.

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    While I'm overly concerned with a slow refresh rate on some of the eBid pages, the reposting of closed auctions is another matter. One that potentially could cause the seller serious problems and possibly create legal issues leading to unpleasant consequences for the seller. Items that have already been sold and are relisted without the seller's knowledge could lead to a seller being charged with fraud. What if the listing closes and the seller lists it on another site?

Another issue is what disciplinary measures, if any, would eBid take against a seller if their glitch causes duplicate listings against site policy? This could result in something of an administrative mess for both the seller and the site costing time and money to sort out.

While I'm sure that some, if not many, of you think I look at things with too much of an eye toward potential legal problems, the fact is that in auction business this is always a major concern. Being governed by a board of overseers that has the authority to suspend and/or revoke one's license to do business is a serious matter. So a potential legal issue is something that I take very seriously and while the casual seller may think that such concerns are over the top, consider how you would take the possibility of your livelihood being taken away because of an issue with a minor sideline business.
    What I surmise is that auctions available to buyers do NOT include the extra listings, whether sold or duplicates. Those are apparently showing up only in the Auctions I'm Running list from the My eBid dashboard page. As long as I do not carelessly close and repost one of them (can't think why I would) there doesn't seem to be any danger. I've never had a buyer purchase a sold item, and I've never gotten a note from eBid about a duplicate listing, so I think the explanations given in this thread are correct.

Now that I know what's happening, I link to http://us.ebid.net/items/TiasTreasures and get the real count from the top of the first page of listings.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Several sellers have reported things being relisted which have previously been sold and they have not done the relisting themselves. One of mine relisted itself while I was on holiday and not relisting at all. I suspect that management are unable to find the source of this. Apparently intermittent faults are notoriously difficult to find. I say "apparently" because code shouldn't produce different results from the same input.

I consider that this is likely to be an ongoing problem. Without careful monitoring by a seller of their listings, it will only show up when such an item sells.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Several sellers have reported things being relisted which have previously been sold and they have not done the relisting themselves.
    Yes you're right, and it resulted in a neg for me. I'm convinced I took the auction down but I can't know for sure. If you're selling a lot of stuff it can cause real problems.

View banrigh's Feedback (+2954)
    All-About banrigh
    View banrigh's Listings
    Forum Posts

Several sellers have reported things being relisted which have previously been sold and they have not done the relisting themselves. One of mine relisted itself while I was on holiday and not relisting at all. I suspect that management are unable to find the source of this. Apparently intermittent faults are notoriously difficult to find. I say "apparently" because code shouldn't produce different results from the same input.

I consider that this is likely to be an ongoing problem. Without careful monitoring by a seller of their listings, it will only show up when such an item sells.
    This is why I don't use the Auto Repost, too many problems. I close and relist items myself so I can keep track of what is being relisted.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by banrigh View Post
    This is why I don't use the Auto Repost, too many problems. I close and relist items myself so I can keep track of what is being relisted.
    If, as I suspect, sold items are sometimes relisted in error by the software, this will not defend you !
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Thread Information