eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I may be mad but . . .

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Lesley

What I found when trying to promote our business merchandise here versus our website, was that our customers did not want to "sign up for/figure out another auction site." These were people I spoke with face-to-face, who buy from us at shows and through our website, and who will generally give something a look if we suggest it to them. Our prices here were cheaper, our shipping here was cheaper, they could use PayPal here as they do on our website, but not a single person made the switch. A few of our business items sold through eBid and garnered positive feedback, but never to our regular online customers. Our regulars are happy to do business with us online, but will only do that through the portal they are familiar with.

For a number of months in 2010 I removed our business listings and closed the Elements of Rejuvenation eBid shop. During that time I continued to sell personal odds and ends on eBid as a private seller. I had grown weary of the vitriol in many of the "business seller vs. private seller" discussions, even though we US sellers are merely watching the fray from the sidelines. I was unwilling to put one iota of energy into even relisting items that were barely selling, and could be drawn into the "business vs. private seller" mess. I recently re-opened the eBid business shop with the candles that Mark makes, so we'll see how that goes. Even if I decide to relist the hundreds of items I pulled from eBid, for us it wouldn't pay to have eBid be our only online store. Hopefully your experience will be better, if that is the direction you choose.

I am very tardy in thanking you for the lovely card you made in October, when Mark's youngest son got married. The colors you chose matched their colors perfectly, and all these months later people are still remarking on its beauty. Both of his sons have the wedding cards you made for them on display in their curio cabinets.
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post
    What I found when trying to promote our business merchandise here versus our website, was that our customers did not want to "sign up for/figure out another auction site." .
    I think that this is a big factor in why eBid traffic is less than some of the others. If, as a buyer, I can go to the site that has so much selection, my account is set up there already, and I'm familiar with the procedures to purchase goods there ... then I need some strong incentive to do my shopping at another auction site that is not familiar to me. Is it worth it for the buyer to deal with the learning curve?

eBid has had a presence in the UK for several years now and many of the UK sellers seem to be doing well. Will it catch on with buyers and sellers in other countries? That is the question.

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think that this is a big factor in why eBid traffic is less than some of the others. If, as a buyer, I can go to the site that has so much selection, my account is set up there already, and I'm familiar with the procedures to purchase goods there ... then I need some strong incentive to do my shopping at another auction site that is not familiar to me. Is it worth it for the buyer to deal with the learning curve?
    Have to agree with you FirstGreenIsGold..... 100%
    There is just way too much for the average person to try to 'assimilate' in todays hi-tech world.... And if you try to take it all in - well, it spreads your time very thinly. I think we all want (or feel we need) to 'keep up' to a reasonable degree with it all, but when we think of the tens (or hundreds) of thousands of people out there designing today what we're all going to have to assimilate tomorrow - well - the mind boggles!
    And the thing with designing - is it's endless. There's always ways of adding features to things like auction sites to try to improve their functionality. But ,like you say, if someone comes along and finds a site new in many respects then they have to undergo the learning curve for what should be a simple purchase. Improving, imagining, creating, has no bounds.... But if it's expanding and growing in too many ways (and too fast for us), then it's just creating a huge fragmentation. There's a lot to be said for keeping things simple....

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think there is a bit of an agenda going on here in this thread.

600 people a day sign up to ebid in one form or another.
    Most of them I imagine will be "BUYERS"
    So what is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    not "just a someone" but A SOMEONE... I wont mention her name but she is a well known Author, Magazine Editor, Ghost Hunter, Television Personality, Tarot Reader, Medium, Rescue Medium, Psychic... in fact you name it she has either done it or is doing it still, so you should feel VERY please.
    wow that's fantastic Somer, I didnt realise and yes, I do feel very chuffed now, thank you for letting me know. xxxx

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

600 people per day joining up sounds quite impressive to me - but it's not the 600 that join - it's those (unknown number) that don't.
    I don't think we can ever know that number. It's good to be eternal optimists - but we also (I think) need to be realists.
    (Just my 2 bobs worth)...

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post
    Hi Lesley

I am very tardy in thanking you for the lovely card you made in October, when Mark's youngest son got married. The colors you chose matched their colors perfectly, and all these months later people are still remarking on its beauty. Both of his sons have the wedding cards you made for them on display in their curio cabinets.
    Hello Pearlygirl, It's great to hear from you and no worries about the card, I'm just glad it got to you in time and that your son and his wife were so pleased with it.
    All that you have said in the post is so true. I have read all the replies for which I am grateful to everyone, and I have definately been given alot to think about which is good.
    I know november is a long way off but if I do renew my domain name then I have to go with it for another two years. I'm beginning to think I must not be hasty in my decision and I'm sure 10 months gives me time to mull it all over properly.
    Hope you're keeping well and life's good to you right now. xxxx

This is just another thought that has fluttered through my head reading the replies here which is . . . .
    on that other auction site (and we all know who i mean lol ) most of the buyers are probably sellers too as I dont know of anyone who signs up just to buy.
    Now I'm thinking maybe the same can be said for us here at ebid. There are alot of sellers here who in turn are potential buyers and so . . .
    I am going to look on ebid for what I want / need before shopping around elsewhere, and if I cant find it here on ebid then I'll look elsewhere - simples!! xx

I just checked out your auctions... Beautiful cards.. If ever I need a card, you will have another new customer.

Quote Originally Posted by racinraisin View Post
    I just checked out your auctions... Beautiful cards.. If ever I need a card, you will have another new customer.
    and it will be money well spent

Thread Information