Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shill Bidding - inflating your own auction bids

Forum Newbie
    View Reformed's Feedback (+104)
    All-About Reformed
    View Reformed's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anichka54 View Post
    The original thread was deleted but this one followed on from it.

http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread....ighlight=vinci
    I'm having trouble with the opposite of shill bidding. Ebid has canceled a few bids from a very valid bidder/buyer that came over to Ebid to buy my stuff here since I don’t' sell on Ebay anymore. She is a valued customer of mine and she lives only two hours from my home town in the USA. Now, I just got an email from her asking if I knew why in the world her Ebid membership was canceled and I told her that I had got emails from Ebid saying that bids on some of my listings were canceled because they thought the bids SHE put on them were being made from MY computer. That just is not the case at all. This is very upsetting to me and to her and I have no clue how to get Ebid to reinstate her membership since they are totally in the wrong for canceling her membership. There was NO shilling going on at all. How do I get them to reinstate her membership? Thanks for any help you have to offer. AK

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    I'm having trouble with the opposite of shill bidding. Ebid has canceled a few bids from a very valid bidder/buyer that came over to Ebid to buy my stuff here since I don’t' sell on Ebay anymore. She is a valued customer of mine and she lives only two hours from my home town in the USA. Now, I just got an email from her asking if I knew why in the world her Ebid membership was canceled and I told her that I had got emails from Ebid saying that bids on some of my listings were canceled because they thought the bids SHE put on them were being made from MY computer. That just is not the case at all. This is very upsetting to me and to her and I have no clue how to get Ebid to reinstate her membership since they are totally in the wrong for canceling her membership. There was NO shilling going on at all. How do I get them to reinstate her membership? Thanks for any help you have to offer. AK
    Just email them explaining as you have here.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    by any chance are yourself and that other member using the same ISP service ? (IF Ebid tracks this by IP address, AND both buyer and seller use the same ISP (such as AOL, or RoadRunner --your isp email addresses might end in rr.com ) then it is entirely possible that at some point you both were assigned the same dynamic IP address (Ive seen this happen many times..)

This can also happen if you use a proxy server to connect to the internet (or if your ISP puts you on a proxy server that is known, or has been known as an open proxy , which is often used for such purposes as shill bidding )

If that was the case, and IF ebid makes these determinations based on IP address, that's most likely what happened ..
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by BenM66 View Post
    Hi Huddy,
    Long time no pee sorry to see your unhappy with things, i am too, I don't know why but unless your a major shop owner, sites like feebay and this one seem so hard to sell on unless you want to spend some serious wonga, I decided to come back on here with my new products simply because I paid for a life time membership a long long time ago, but already I am thinking of cutting my losses and quitting, I now sell on another well known site that for obvious reasons I can't mention and am averaging $300 a week in sales and I only get charged if i sell like this site but unfortunately the commissions they charge are extraordinary but at least i am making money now, i really hope I staert to make sells on this site because i do like the power to the seller attitude, but unfortunately this site has not advertised enugh to buyers, just sellers and that is where this site fails, if they would invest more on advertising then not only us the sellers would make more money but they would too, who ever runs ebids PR sorry to say it, you don't have a clue, you need to to put out to receive aplenty and that is something you quite frankly have never done.
    What we do have here is automatic downloads to google, ebid does it hourly, which sends the items directly out there and brings customers in. This puts almost 3 million "ads" out there for ebid and our items each day. ebid also has click buttons on many other sites. No but no dancing bears on tv advertising ebid. Even without a lot of ads, ebid is now #1 amongst alternative auction sites.

Over the last year we have learned alot about selling on alternative sites. Sellers have noted these selling tips in the forums and it would help you get started faster if you looked these over. We tell everyone to follow the tips, get set up and you should have your first sale in 2-3 weeks. If not, come back and let us look your listings over and offer tweeks to get things moving.

Many of us are getting daily sales here. The site is growing by leaps and bounds, so now is the perfect time to come back and start to sell here again. Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Idealproductsales View Post
    by any chance are yourself and that other member using the same ISP service ? (IF Ebid tracks this by IP address, AND both buyer and seller use the same ISP (such as AOL, or RoadRunner --your isp email addresses might end in rr.com ) then it is entirely possible that at some point you both were assigned the same dynamic IP address (Ive seen this happen many times..)

This can also happen if you use a proxy server to connect to the internet (or if your ISP puts you on a proxy server that is known, or has been known as an open proxy , which is often used for such purposes as shill bidding )

If that was the case, and IF ebid makes these determinations based on IP address, that's most likely what happened ..
    Makes sense. At one point this came up as it was not realized our zip codes could cover so large an area (and contain bidder with same zip as seller).

I am sure this has happened before and if OP submits proof that she is indeed not her friend bidding for her own items, it can be worked out.

hi all,
    i today had my account closed down along with a buyer that has bought from me for years on ebay.
    She is disabled and housebound right...and dont know much about selling but loads about buying.
    when i closed my ebay account she followed me here..!!..Just as Ebid Promotes..!?

Yesterday i listed 30 more auctions and she came along and bid on 7 of them..!?
    IS THAT WRONG..!?

I contacted ebid support..they told me direct..i am bidding on my own items..and i am shill bidding...i thought..WTF!?..lol
    How do ya work that out...??
    Considering we live miles n miles away from each other...
    they said ...what is my relationship to the buyer..i said nothing..she is just a freind that followed me from ebay to here..thats it..!!

so now forum members..am i wrong to have had it closed...and is it still wrong to say that she cannot bid on my items..????
    cos this has well and truely confused me..lol

someone explain what i did wrong also what this regular buyer did wrong too..

My Feedback on the other side had 4700+ positive rating..high class seller the works..
    i just left there cos of fees..i am building thatup slowely here..but not a chance with that accusation..lol

Cos too be blunt and totally true to any buyer/sellers word..

ISNT IT FREINDS AND FAMILY THAT WE TELL FIRST WHAT WE DO..AND WHERE WE SELL..!!?
    Then doesnt it expand from there.>!?..
    Sorry to moan..but im angry..lol
    Last edited by craftwizard23; 17th September 2010 at 08:10 PM.

well 14 mins after your post there is no strike through on your account and you have 143 listings

yes..very true..thats cos they re0instated account after giving me and probably the buyer the once over...lol
    im trying to make a piont here..and askif i am right..?
    Plus i have had this all day trying to get it back..

now i have well...dunno now what im gonna do..lol

put up wiv it i suppose..

Quote Originally Posted by craftwizard23 View Post
    yes..very true..thats cos they re0instated account after giving me and probably the buyer the once over...lol
    im trying to make a piont here..and askif i am right..?
    Plus i have had this all day trying to get it back..

now i have well...dunno now what im gonna do..lol

put up wiv it i suppose..
    There is 1 buyer on here that I brought over from the bay, who has only purchased from me on eBid, I don't think that would be the only reason to an account being looked into for reasons you state, how ever I could be wrong.
    She recently moved from 3 miles away to over 80 miles away

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

stick with us, please

Thread Information