eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returns Policy - what is yours ?

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Returns Policy - what is yours ?

Hi Guys
    I am from New Zealand and we sell a small high quality plastic item.
    We ship via second class airmail to keep the cost down.

What would you say is a fair returns policy for us to offer ?

Whilst stand 100% behind our product and we want people to be happy, we could not afford to have many returns as that would reduce our profit to zero.

Of course if one was faulty we would replace it.

But what if say a customer did not like the colour, or it was the wrong size or most worryingly what if it got lost in transit ? As ours is a low cost item it is not worth registering or insuring it in postage.

Any suggestions ?

Since we're in the US, our perspective may be different from yours. That said . . .

We offer a 100% return policy within five days of receipt. We only refund shipping and handling if the item was not as described (which of course would include damage). Most of our items are low-cost, so like you, we don't feel it's worth the expense of paying for insurance. We do require insurance and include the cost in S&H if the item is over $50 (more or less). Your items are sturdy and not likely to get broken, so you probably don't have to worry about damage.

That said . . . we've never had a lost item, and no buyer has ever returned anything. I think international mail is very reliable. We've sold internationally to buyers in Japan, Malaysia, the UK, South Africa, the Netherlands, France, and New Zealand (most of those were on the other site, but we used the same postal service).

I hope I didn't just jinx us!

Forum Lurker
    View bidnwin's Feedback (+16)
    All-About bidnwin
    View bidnwin's Listings
    Forum Posts

How about:
    Returns are only accepted if the description is misleading in any way or the goods are not as described in the listing.
    I tend to use that on all aution sites, don't really think you can be fairer.

I also include on all listings the following:

Please Read the Iem Description Carefully and if you are unsure regarding anything in the listing details or if you have any questions then please ask PRIOR to placing a bid.

If the description is accurate and folk read the description carefully then you should not have to accept returns because they have changed their mind or not read the description correctly.
    I have used the above for the last 8 years of trading on other sites such as ebay and Amazon and I still have my 100% rating. To be truthful in 8 years I have never been asked to have anything returned, I can only hope that is because my item descriptions are accurate and buyers are happy with what they buy.
    Last edited by bidnwin; 20th June 2010 at 02:43 AM.

Since I buy a lot both from mail order catalogs and online, I can also give you a buyer's perspective. Unless there is something grossly wrong with a product, the fuss of returning it isn't worth the trouble. I've bought shoes that were just a trifle too big, I wore them. A shirt that wasn't exactly the color I expected, but passable, so I wear it. There's a fair amount of fuss involved in returning any item, including a special trip to the Post Office. I suspect many buyers feel the same way.

I doubt if anyone would return one of your holders because of the color, and it's not likely to be the "wrong size" (works with all my coffee mugs except one).

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

What are your legal responsibilities as a New Zealand based seller? That seems to be the essential starting point for anybody: what do they *have* to do; after that you can dress it up how you like.

I agree with Kimbo... as you are a business seller you have to offer what ever the N. Z. law states about distance selling regulations as a bare minimum... anything extra is down to you

this site might help you if you haven't already looked it up

http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

One thing I have never found an answer to...

What happens if you sell to an overseas buyer? Who's consumer laws are effective or is it neither? Should policies state they are governed by the laws applicable to the country of the seller?

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

I give a 7 day No Quibble Guarantee of their money back (minus any shipping charged) if they are not fully satisfied with their purchase. I feel this helps to give the buyer confidence in me and my products.

They have to pay the return shipping and as on low priced items the return shipping is often more than the items value it is often not worth the buyer returning the item.

Over the last 10 years I can only remember two items being returned and they were both valued over £20 Plus they were resold to other buyers fairly quickly.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Hi Guys
    I am from New Zealand and we sell a small high quality plastic item.
    We ship via second class airmail to keep the cost down.

What would you say is a fair returns policy for us to offer ?

Whilst stand 100% behind our product and we want people to be happy, we could not afford to have many returns as that would reduce our profit to zero.

Of course if one was faulty we would replace it.

But what if say a customer did not like the colour, or it was the wrong size or most worryingly what if it got lost in transit ? As ours is a low cost item it is not worth registering or insuring it in postage.

Any suggestions ?
    Just noticed the line in red in the OP.

If a item is lost in transit I would expect, and demand, a replacement or full refund.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Thread Information