eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We used to be a Nation of Dog Lovers. How did it get to this?

Thumbs down We used to be a Nation of Dog Lovers. How did it get to this?

It beggars belief that people in such positions should advocate shooting, what are in the main family pets.
    Apparently only 28 of the nearly 500 seized dogs have actually done anything wrong, the rest are there because of what they look like.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8681520.stm

If they wanted to save money, maybe they should concentrate only on the dogs that have actually caused problems.

With the way they want to extend the DDA to include all bull type breeds, even that great symbol of Britain, the British Bulldog will soon be under threat.
    As will these mastiff x staffy pups.
    http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming...n/default.aspx

Responses from Dogs Trust
    http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/mediacen...harrisdda.aspx
    & The Blue Cross.
    http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site...Met_police.asp

Defra are currently running a consultation on the Dangerous Dogs Act you can find it at.
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...E9pKgIkuDY%3d&

Obviously this consultation, was started under the previous government.

Labour Peer Lord Toby Harris who made the suggestion, states that the Conservative Deputy Mayor Kit Malthouse is seeking to get the new home secretary to change the law, to enable the killing of all seized dogs.
    http://www.lordtobyharris.org.uk/mal.../#comment-2617
    Last edited by Gothicina; 17th May 2010 at 01:48 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have quite a radical view on this - a lot of people (not all, but a scary percentage) view pets as "accessories" rather than living creatures, and therefore when they (in some cases literally) dont match the carpet or whatever the fad is, dump them, and go and buy another from a breeder. There are thousands of lovely dogs, and cats and other animals (I admit to being a cat lover here, hehe) in homes needing a loving home but people still go to the breeders before checking the pets homes.

Look after the people (and animals) already here, I say. .

View dobewoman's Feedback (+68)
    All-About dobewoman
    View dobewoman's Listings
    Forum Posts

Maybe if they concentrated on the a**ehole breeders and the idiots that buy from puppy farmers, cross breeders, and so called "pedigree breeders" who don't bother full with health checks then the problem wouldn't be so bad.

People are breeding these dogs knowing it is against the law, people are buying these dogs knowing it is against the law. They get caught the dogs suffer. People don't buy these breeds, people won't breed them because there is no money in it, no dogs will be needlessly destroyed.
    Simple really.

Maximum £7.50 postage to the UK no matter how much you buy.

"Quality counts but so do the pennies"

Dobermanns are not just dogs, they are a way of life. x

Quote Originally Posted by dobewoman View Post
    Maybe if they concentrated on the a**ehole breeders and the idiots that buy from puppy farmers, cross breeders, and so called "pedigree breeders" who don't bother full with health checks then the problem wouldn't be so bad.

People are breeding these dogs knowing it is against the law, people are buying these dogs knowing it is against the law. They get caught the dogs suffer. People don't buy these breeds, people won't breed them because there is no money in it, no dogs will be needlessly destroyed.
    Simple really.
    While the law concentrates on looks not actions it will just go on & on.
    Not long ago police seized 2 boxers because they thought they were pit bull type.

They're trying to extend it to all bull breeds, plus others that can lock their jaws, which I'm told includes Rotties, & Dobies

Last edited by Gothicina; 17th May 2010 at 06:25 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

All-About dobewoman
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    While the law concentrates on looks not actions it will just go on & on.
    Not long ago police seized 2 boxers because they thought they were pit bull type.

They're trying to extend it to all bull breeds, plus others that can lock their jaws, which I'm told includes Rotties, & Dobies

This was mentioned a couple of years ago. There was a list brought out in Ireland consisting of 11 breeds of dogs, the councils were going to ban them from council houses (not private) and this included taking pets away for no reason. There was a huge petition and I emailed every Irish Counsellor personally (as did others) protesting. I eventually got an answer from a great counsellor who took my questions to the European Parliament. The ban was stopped (not because of my questions). several councils then tried to insist that the dogs could live out their lives but no more to be brought and were not allowed off lead. I don't think it got implemented in all areas.

Rotties and dobes don't lock their jaws it hasn't been proven that staffies etc do either, there is as much information to the contrary.

I advocate punish the deed NOT the breed.

At the end of the day sorry but if you do or buy something knowing it is illegal then you have to suffer the consequences and unfortunately these dogs pay the ultimate price. Pit Bulls and Pit Bull crosses are illegal unless registered, chipped and I'm not sure but muzzled in public. We don't have to like the law but are supposed to abide by it.

It is humans who are at fault both breeders and buyers.

Have you got a link where it says that they are trying to extend it? From the links given it just says about the ones that have been seized not anyones pet or a list of breeds as before in Ireland.

Just out of curiosity why would anyone want to breed mastiff x staffie if not to make money out of poor dogs?

All-About dobewoman
    Forum Posts

From the Dangerous Dog Act 1991

(5) It is hereby declared for the avoidance of doubt that an order under section 2 of the [1871 c. 56.] Dogs Act 1871 (order on complaint that dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control)—
    (a) may be made whether or not the dog is shown to have injured any person; and
    (b) may specify the measures to be taken for keeping the dog under proper control, whether by muzzling, keeping on a lead, excluding it from specified places or otherwise.

Irish Dog Ban
    It started off in Dublin but soon spread to other councils.

I've been looking for the link but of course cannot find it now, I'll keep looking

This is not the link that mentions dobies & rotties by name, but does mention extending to all bull breeds, & possibly Japanese Akitas.
    http://dangerousdogsact.blogspot.com...rom-defra.html

To be honest I didn't think that Dobies & Rotties locked their jaws, but was assured they do by somebody who has kept them for years.

The DEFRA consultation asks if the breeds the DDA applies to should be extended, & which extra breeds it should cover.

No idea why the staffy x mastiff pups were bred, as they are at DT nobody is making money from them.

Many of the dogs seized & killed over the years, have not had any pitbull in them they were just crossbreeds.

2 American Bulldogs, Brandy & Karma, with papers to prove they were American Bulldogs, have just been found not guilty of being pitbulls after being incarcerated for 18 months.
    http://dangerousdogsact.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

Many of the dogs who do get released are in a terrible condition.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 17th May 2010 at 08:01 PM.
    Gothicina.

My Stores

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

All-About dobewoman
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    I've been looking for the link but of course cannot find it now, I'll keep looking

This is not the link that mentions dobies & rotties by name, but does mention extending to all bull breeds, & possibly Japanese Akitas.
    http://dangerousdogsact.blogspot.com...rom-defra.html

Thanks for that link, it is only a blog though and in all honesty there has always been people trying to add different breeds of dogs to the DDA for as long as I can remember.

To be honest I didn't think that Dobies & Rotties locked their jaws, but was assured they do by somebody who has kept them for years.
    Sorry but they are 100% wrong, I know so many dobe owners/breeders and dobes have the wrong shaped jaws for a start. And as I said before there is much controvosy about whether jaw locking actually takes place. Yes there are certain breeds (fighting breeds usually) who are more tenacious when biting and will hold on regardless but if you google jaw locking in dogs you will see that it is mainly a myth, brought about by the same sort of people who are for BSL.
    Click here for one opinion.

The DEFRA consultation asks if the breeds the DDA applies to should be extended, & which extra breeds it should cover.

No idea why the staffy x mastiff pups were bred, as they are at DT nobody is making money from them.
    Several possibilities really.. an error and were dumped, couldn't sell them were possibly rescued from bad owners?

Many of the dogs seized & killed over the years, have not had any pitbull in them they were just crossbreeds.
    It used to be if they looked like pitbulls or had pitbull charachteristics and the only way to tell for certain was by post mortem, so mistakes were made. I think I heard that now they can do it by DNA which should I assume, in theory at least mean that the harmless dogs are in custody for a shorter time??

2 American Bulldogs, Brandy & Karma, with papers to prove they were American Bulldogs, have just been found not guilty of being pitbulls after being incarcerated for 18 months.
    http://dangerousdogsact.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

Many of the dogs who do get released are in a terrible condition.
    There are many cases of dogs siezed for the wrong reasons. But going back to your original post at the end of the day bearing in mind that we are both against BSL it is against the law to have the breeds specified. These dogs were originally bred for fighting and no matter what any dog was specifically bred for that charachteristic will always be there and if you can't control it correctly then it will come out. Much of the pitbull breeding is done underground by people who use dogs as weapons or to add street cred, their natural instincts are honed and encouraged. Breeding from bad tempered dogs (though not the dogs fault obviously) leads to difficult pups which need correct controlling and unfortunately many fall into the wrong hands or people who don't know how to control them. Luckily some don't.

The breeders should be stopped. People should check out exactly what they are buying not get it cos it's cheap and cute looking.

There will always be BSL and it is wrong, and there will always be someone wanting to add some breed of dog or another. Sad but true.

The link may only be a blog, but the Quote referencing extending the DDA to other breeds is taken from the Defra Consultation Document.
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/co...ogs-condoc.pdf

Section 66 is on page 18 of the 30 page document.

66. However, many correspondents to Defra, and some representatives of local
    authorities, take the view that the list of dogs specified in the 1991 legislation should
    be extended further to protect the public. They believe breed-specific legislation
    should include all bull breed types, including Staffordshire Bull Terriers. It has also
    been suggested that other breeds, such as the Japanese Akita, be added to the list

of prohibited breeds.
    Gothicina.

My Stores

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am a dog lover.
    I have a rescued Greyhound called Shelly.
    She as attacked 4 dogs.
    But on the plus side she is so good with Childeren.
    She as been invited to Christies hospital At Manchester.For the terminally ill children to focus on.But i have no time to go.
    But all these Pit bull type probably were not around in such big numbers 20 years ago!

Thread Information