Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ok I give in whats the best computer

Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View KAYS6912's Feedback (+245)
    All-About KAYS6912
    View KAYS6912's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Ok I give in whats the best computer

Hate Norton! I use Microsoft Security Essentials (free) which was recommended by my nephew who is a computer tech. Only problem is when I'm updating, for some reason I have to make sure all my protection - firewall etc - is OFF but since it's only for a very short time, I don't mind.
    Nancy
    Ceud ḿle f?*ilte!
    ‘A hundred thousand welcomes!’

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BARGAIN-BROWSER

GENERAL STORE

I didn't feel safe with the microsoft security esentials and I got persisted with the 6+ hr scans Nancy, I suppose its what your use to I always used norton till mikes teckie son put a corporat symantec in and messed the computer up and then I changed to microsoft but it seems all my computer problems this week were down to microsoft so I bought Norton 360 and their support last night was fantastic so I am happy now, £39 on norton has saved me £100's on a new computer I was going to go and get. really it boils down to each of their own. I will now crash my laptop back to factory settings and put the new Norton in and get rid of the corporate version the idiot put in it and then told me it had stopped working as it was a brick ( like his head )

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    I didn't feel safe with the microsoft security esentials and I got persisted with the 6+ hr scans Nancy, I suppose its what your use to I always used norton till mikes teckie son put a corporat symantec in and messed the computer up and then I changed to microsoft but it seems all my computer problems this week were down to microsoft so I bought Norton 360 and their support last night was fantastic so I am happy now, £39 on norton has saved me £100's on a new computer I was going to go and get. really it boils down to each of their own. I will now crash my laptop back to factory settings and put the new Norton in and get rid of the corporate version the idiot put in it and then told me it had stopped working as it was a brick ( like his head )
    LOL! Seriously, glad you got this sorted. Like you say, it's what each of us feels comfortable with. Used to use McAfee but hated it, then my computer guy recommended AVG, 100% free and it does a bang up job, no viruses or problems since installing, knock wood...

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Diehard
    View JimmyCee's Feedback (+85)
    All-About JimmyCee
    View JimmyCee's Listings
    Forum Posts

When first I started using a pc I understood what a computer virus was.
    I purchase Norton's version at the time for $79.00.
    Having trouble I contacted them, no help what so ever, either email or phone.
    wound up with a satisfactory Mcafee.
    Paid $39-59 for many years depending on their discount.
    Last year I purchased a new lap top, the a few months later a new desktop.
    Both computers had nothing on the drives (how I wanted them)
    After installing W-7 I realized I needed some security, our computer club had Norton on the bad boy list.
    Anyway after changing things around I would up with Micro-soft's security essentials (free) on all 3 of my computers.
    I feel comfortable with them, I do have Spy-Bot running in the background, it's ok.
    Norton, Mcafee, along with others have become resource hogs (my opinion), wanting to control my computer and that (aint) gonna happen.
    Security essentials for me works and will stay

It seems the best computer thread turned into the best antivirus thread. I use Microsoft products also. Nothing wrong with the free program. Norton will disable your internet connection when your subscription runs out. Make it impossible to get online. Or leave it open just enough for you to go online and give them money. lol They make their program hard to remove also. Use CCleaner to completely wipe them out and their back up also. Google pack also supplies free antivirus. Think about it. None of the big boys want bugs. It crashes the whole internet. Its in their best interest users are not infected and spread malware. As far as the best computer goes, I like ones that are paid for. I need to upgrade to a newer processor. Intel I7 probably. Just because I am a bit of a Geek. Old machines are running fine.
    Last edited by canuckbid; 10th November 2012 at 03:48 AM.

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by canuckbid View Post
    Norton will disable your internet connection when your subscription runs out. Make it impossible to get online. Or leave it open just enough for you to go online and give them money. lol They make their program hard to remove also..
    ^^ I always find such fairytales amusing. When I cancelled my old subscription to Norton nothing happened to my internet. The things people will believe because they have heard false rumours started by morons. And Norton isn't difficult to remove, I have never had any issues uninstalling it or reinstalling it for that fact. Just more fairytales. Professional outfits like Norton don't do anything to impede your ability to go online or remove their software. I'd love to know how such fairytales get started, probably by some numpty with their own anti-virus software to sell or they used an unnofficial copy of Norton at some point and got caught so spread malicious rumours to try and damage their reputation out of spite like some sad losers do.

I see dodgy ads online all the time for this and that malware and antivirus stuff, and the ads are dodgy (look like a kid made them at school in IT class), because these are companies/individuals out to con folk and access their computers to do Force knows what with any information they can steal from your computer. A lot of dodgy programs around, promising to remove spyware etc. yeah the software they're offering is malware/spyware itself haha.

I stick to what I know and trust. The cost of Norton is nothing compared to the financial cost to me if I lose my computer due to con artist dodgy software. Each to their own at the end of the day, but at least I know my internet connection is SAFE, know my computer is SAFE and everything is protected. I have free microsoft stuff on the computer, never use it as it just never seems as good as Norton. No firewall issues though. No issues of any kind for me, but then I'm not visting dodgy sites and downloading dodgy "supposedly" safe software which turns out to be malware/spyware/virus itself.
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Quote Originally Posted by rokins_toys View Post
    ^^ I always find such fairytales amusing. When I cancelled my old subscription to Norton nothing happened to my internet. The things people will believe because they have heard false rumours started by morons. And Norton isn't difficult to remove, I have never had any issues uninstalling it or reinstalling it for that fact. Just more fairytales. Professional outfits like Norton don't do anything to impede your ability to go online or remove their software. I'd love to know how such fairytales get started, probably by some numpty with their own anti-virus software to sell or they used an unnofficial copy of Norton at some point and got caught so spread malicious rumours to try and damage their reputation out of spite like some sad losers do.

I see dodgy ads online all the time for this and that malware and antivirus stuff, and the ads are dodgy (look like a kid made them at school in IT class), because these are companies/individuals out to con folk and access their computers to do Force knows what with any information they can steal from your computer. A lot of dodgy programs around, promising to remove spyware etc. yeah the software they're offering is malware/spyware itself haha.

I stick to what I know and trust. The cost of Norton is nothing compared to the financial cost to me if I lose my computer due to con artist dodgy software. Each to their own at the end of the day, but at least I know my internet connection is SAFE, know my computer is SAFE and everything is protected. I have free microsoft stuff on the computer, never use it as it just never seems as good as Norton. No firewall issues though. No issues of any kind for me, but then I'm not visting dodgy sites and downloading dodgy "supposedly" safe software which turns out to be malware/spyware/virus itself.

I have been computing for 30 years. I have no need to BS about how they disable people's internet adapter / adaptor. For you to come online and call me names, shows off your IQ level. - small. If you are going to pay for antivirus, get something decent like F-Secure.
    Norton has milked the public with their junk long enough. People who pay are suckers. Simple as that. Free Microsoft security essentials are just as good. Same as AVG and Kaspersky. All comparable free products. There is always the brain washed Norton followers. Just like Apple product buyers. Same technology as others. but they pay for the apple logo. And the right to buy all their apps. $$$$ go Apple. lol

Forum Saint
    View RonOne's Feedback (+4296)
    All-About RonOne
    View RonOne's Listings
    Forum Posts

My first three computers were all "Time"
    they then aquired "Tiny" and everything went wrong including "Norton"

My present computer is "HP" and I use "Microsoft Security Esentials"
    Touch wood, I've never had any problems for over three years now.

Quote Originally Posted by RonOne View Post
    My first three computers were all "Time"
    they then aquired "Tiny" and everything went wrong including "Norton"

My present computer is "HP" and I use "Microsoft Security Esentials"
    Touch wood, I've never had any problems for over three years now.
    HP, like most of the big brand name suppliers, tend to include a lot of trialware,
    and other junk to slow your Windows system down.

I'm surprised this thread has got this far without anyone mentioning alternatives
    to Windows, such as Apple's OSX, or Ubuntu Linux, either of which people generally
    find easier to use. And the change to Windows 8, that's going to be... hmm... interesting!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information