Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Should eBid change the verification process?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Verify all members before membership begins

11 61.11%
  • Verify only high value item sellers before membership begins

1 5.56%
  • Keep the current verification process in place

5 27.78%
  • Add all sellers to the current verification process

1 5.56%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Should eBid change the verification process

Default Re: POLL: Should eBid change the verification process

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    If eBid were to go this route, there would be no need to strike through a seller while verification was in progress. If a high value item triggers the need for additional verification then, clearly, eBid are happy for them to sell lower value items without that verification. So, simply preventing the listing of higher value items with a cap on the value of item that can be listed without additional verification would solve most, but not all, problems.

• Low value item sellers would not be required to submit details before they can sell.
    • Seller's lower value items could continue to run without the verification.
    • There would be no need to strike through a seller while verification was in progress.
    • If a seller did have issues about providing the information, or are unable to provide it for any reason, they could still sell lower value items.

So, as suggested, simply enforce the cap at time of listing. If the sale+shipping price of an item exceeds the trigger amount then prevent the listing going live and issue the additional verification request.

What it doesn't address are those situations where eBid has issues with the basic personal details supplied (e.g. contact details). But, really, these should be detected and resolved at time of registration and definitely before account upgrade to any form of Seller status is approved.
    I agree in principle
    but, it's not just the monetary value of the item at the time of listing,
    but the type of item that needs to be taken into consideration as well. (Designer, high end electrical, high end mobile phones for instance.)

Stricter verification was introduced because of requests from the membership, due to the problems caused by bad sellers one Christmas in particular,
    they were listing Wii's they didn't have, (some as multi Buy Nows, at high prices) mostly as auctions at ridiculously low starting prices. As the Wii's were in short supply that year, some of the final prices were extremely high, the sellers then vanished with the money.
    The other types of goods they listed were the designer gear, mainly handbags & watches, & high end TV's.
    We were reporting obvious fakes & scams & eBid were pulling them, but many of the listings looked fine, until it was too late.

Wii's may be old hat now, but there is always something new & desirable & in short supply especially around Christmas time, & buyers need to be protected.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 1st October 2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: drat typo
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    I agree in principle
    but, it's not just the monetary value of the item at the time of listing,
    but the type of item that needs to be taken into consideration as well. (Designer, high end electrical, high end mobile phones for instance.)

As I went on to say at #14 Though the items you cite are those that attract high monetary value. People tend not to scam for pennies. They want to make as much as possible as quickly as possible.

The initial point I was trying to make was... Whatever the trigger is for eBid to seek additional verification, it should occur the first time a seller attempts to list an item that activates it - and not after the item is listed and active.

Doing it the latter way means the whole seller account is locked down, the seller cannot service any existing listings until such time as they comply with eBid's request for the verification - but all existing listings (even the one that activated the trigger) remain available to buyers. From whatever direction you look at that - it is not good.

GoodiesLoft's suggestion, and what logically follows on from it, removes just about every problem experienced by users (both buyers and sellers) due to the current implementation of the verification procedure.
    Last edited by astral276; 1st October 2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Extraneous 'when'

Last edited by astral276; Today at 04:49 PM. Reason: Extraneous 'when'
    Sounds painful.

I know Gazza posted some time back that they were going to change, how joining (& I assume verification) is handled. Maybe now they've sorted the affiliate scheme, they can class this as a priority.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't know (or recall) what the wording is on any of the signing up communication......but I would suggest that as a means to deter any would be scammers (and to prevent any ill feeling from legitimate sellers)......
    It may be prudent to include something similar to the following at initial sign-up:

At eBid, we are committed to keep our web site free from any fraudulent activity.
    As such, all sellers, at any time, may be asked to supply additional information in order verify their identity.
    This is normal procedure and is designed to alienate any unwanted, unscrupulous persons.
    Only genuine sellers are welcomed at eBid, and we appreciate your co-operation

Just my thoughts
    Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
    I think the seller should be in 'RANGE' to be slapped when he gets norty!
    Dunno how yer gonna do it though!

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vonz View Post
    I don't know (or recall) what the wording is on any of the signing up communication......but I would suggest that as a means to deter any would be scammers (and to prevent any ill feeling from legitimate sellers)......
    It may be prudent to include something similar to the following at initial sign-up:

At eBid, we are committed to keep our web site free from any fraudulent activity.
    As such, all sellers, at any time, may be asked to supply additional information in order verify their identity.
    This is normal procedure and is designed to alienate any unwanted, unscrupulous persons.

Just my thoughts
    Yvonne x
    And a wonderful thought it is. I would just like to see the elimination of strike throughs after folks bid on an item it leaves a bad taste.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Another strike through reference this morning in the forums.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just my thoughts
    Yvonne x
    Excellent suggestion; that way most folks wouldn't get disgruntled at having to provide verification.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

It is included in the site Terms and Conditions; which every user agrees to when they join.

Afraid I have no time for those who either don't read the T&Cs they affirm they agree to and then complain afterwards, or do read and agree to them and dispute them later.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Another negative strikethrough reference in the forums this morning, dang.

Thread Information