Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Should eBid change the verification process?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Verify all members before membership begins

11 61.11%
  • Verify only high value item sellers before membership begins

1 5.56%
  • Keep the current verification process in place

5 27.78%
  • Add all sellers to the current verification process

1 5.56%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Should eBid change the verification process

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: POLL: Should eBid change the verification process

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    I like this option. If adopted it should be made absolutely plain to sellers that verification is required at a certain level of selling. It should also be made plain to potential buyers (with a logo or something ) That a sellers listing is being made subject to verification and that they should not bid or buy yet.
    If eBid were to go this route, there would be no need to strike through a seller while verification was in progress. If a high value item triggers the need for additional verification then, clearly, eBid are happy for them to sell lower value items without that verification. So, simply preventing the listing of higher value items with a cap on the value of item that can be listed without additional verification would solve most, but not all, problems.

• Low value item sellers would not be required to submit details before they can sell.
    • Seller's lower value items could continue to run without the verification.
    • There would be no need to strike through a seller while verification was in progress.
    • If a seller did have issues about providing the information, or are unable to provide it for any reason, they could still sell lower value items.

So, as suggested, simply enforce the cap at time of listing. If the sale+shipping price of an item exceeds the trigger amount then prevent the listing going live and issue the additional verification request.

What it doesn't address are those situations where eBid has issues with the basic personal details supplied (e.g. contact details). But, really, these should be detected and resolved at time of registration and definitely before account upgrade to any form of Seller status is approved.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

This sounds like a great idea to me but I am wondering what would determine a lower value item? There was a recent situation where I wouldn't have thought the item was of particularly "high" value, but Seller offered lots of them for sale and then, when it came to the crunch, couldn't appear to meet the demand. So perhaps include Dutch auctions in the necessary verification process?

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    This sounds like a great idea to me but I am wondering what would determine a lower value item?
    I don't believe value is the sole criteria. More a combination of things that trigger the additional verification requirement.

Sellers that have a track record on eBid appear to be able to list higher value items with no additional verification. So, it would seem, that if prior sales have raised no issues then the need for the additional verification is waived. Maybe it goes something like:

If Value > X and Positive Seller Feedback < Y Then Verification Required.

Only eBid know the cumulative criteria used, and they are unlikely to divulge what it is.

So, best not fixate solely on value, more whatever the trigger is for the additional verification requirement.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    ...but Seller offered lots of them for sale and then, when it came to the crunch, couldn't appear to meet the demand.
    That situation is not one that can be addressed by seller verification.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

It would probably be nice to understand what the policies of the verification process truly are. Something needs to change as I have viewed way too many disgruntled posts stemming back to what the "surprise" verification process has caused.
    I'm all for a verification process and I beleive eBid just wants us to verify we are real. With the different payment methods available here it's not as easy to control as if your only payment method was Pay Pal who if I'm not mistaken require a back up bank account or credit card.
    eBid does need to protect it's buyers and sellers from scammers but at the same time do it in a way which won't affect currrent membership.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    If eBid were to go this route, there would be no need to strike through a seller while verification was in progress. If a high value item triggers the need for additional verification then, clearly, eBid are happy for them to sell lower value items without that verification. So, simply preventing the listing of higher value items with a cap on the value of item that can be listed without additional verification would solve most, but not all, problems.
    • Low value item sellers would not be required to submit details before they can sell.
    • Seller's lower value items could continue to run without the verification.
    • There would be no need to strike through a seller while verification was in progress.
    • If a seller did have issues about providing the information, or are unable to provide it for any reason, they could still sell lower value items.
    So, as suggested, simply enforce the cap at time of listing. If the sale+shipping price of an item exceeds the trigger amount then prevent the listing going live and issue the additional verification request.

What it doesn't address are those situations where eBid has issues with the basic personal details supplied (e.g. contact details). But, really, these should be detected and resolved at time of registration and definitely before account upgrade to any form of Seller status is approved.
    Like this one, eliminates the strike throughs which are such a cause for concern to buyers and sellers, though I'm still OK with verification of all; as Adruml said (and I agree) many who resist may have intentions that are less than honorable and that's not good for eBid or anyone else.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

It looks to me that the system only needs to be changed, so that instead of triggering the verification when the item is SOLD, it should be triggered when a seller tries to LIST the item....
    I agree with this poster...trigger the verification when a seller tries to LIST the item...good thinking!

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iwiw60 View Post
    I agree with this poster...trigger the verification when a seller tries to LIST the item...good thinking!
    I agree anything is better then striking through after a listing starts.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    It would probably be nice to understand what the policies of the verification process truly are.
    Maybe nice - but not likely. That would be rather like writing your PIN on the back of your bank debit card. Totally devalues the security it provides.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Maybe nice - but not likely. That would be rather like writing your PIN on the back of your bank debit card. Totally devalues the security it provides.
    Not sure I agree with that. I don't understand what the big secret would be. Are you who you say you are? How can eBid insure you won't sell, take the money and disappear?
    If a scammer knew what the trigger for verification was either they stay under the trigger or move on to another site and try there. I beleive most if not all scammers go for the gusto and look for 3 or 4 high value transactions then move on. It would take too many low value items to even be worth it to a scammer so I would have to say if scammers knew the trigger was set at say $500.00 they would probably move on. Let another site deal with it.

Thread Information