• Maybe

6 17.65%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Little Green Men ? or Women ..

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

For life to exist on Earth required so many things to come together. Just look at the difference between us and our two nearest neighbours. We are just the right size, we are just the right distance from our sun, we developed an atmosphere, we have sufficient gravity to retain that atmosphere, we have water, we have a magnetic field strong enough to protect us from our sun's radiation... - the list just goes on.

Our grip on life is also very tenuous - a slight shift in any one of many variable would see us and all life on planet Earth go extinct.

That means that life on planet Earth was, and remains, nothing short of a miracle.

Whilst in the vastness of the universe the odds are that those throws of the dice could come up all sixes elsewhere, they would also have to be within our timeframe. Conditions for life on another planet could have existed billions of years ago but no longer do, or could exist in billions of years time but do not currently.

So life (as we understand it) likely did, does, or will exist elsewhere but I very much doubt any indications of it will be found long before we are all past caring about it (or we gain the answers to life, the universe, and everything on our death [42?]).

Quote Originally Posted by wyocowgirl1 View Post
    Well, seeing as how we haven't had any known visitors - it's probably a safe bet that there's intelligent life!
    Makes sense to me Carol...

Astral - since you have the answer (42), I hope you will stay with us for awhile before you say So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    <a href=http://us.ebid.net/stores/Princess-Os-Treasures target=_blank><font color=#111111><span style=font-family: Tahoma>http://us.ebid.net/stores/Princess-Os-Treasures</span></font></a>

I YDC, Do you?

View earthangel's Feedback (+29)
    All-About earthangel
    View earthangel's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    For life to exist on Earth required so many things to come together. Just look at the difference between us and our two nearest neighbours. We are just the right size, we are just the right distance from our sun, we developed an atmosphere, we have sufficient gravity to retain that atmosphere, we have water, we have a magnetic field strong enough to protect us from our sun's radiation... - the list just goes on.

Our grip on life is also very tenuous - a slight shift in any one of many variable would see us and all life on planet Earth go extinct.

That means that life on planet Earth was, and remains, nothing short of a miracle.

Whilst in the vastness of the universe the odds are that those throws of the dice could come up all sixes elsewhere, they would also have to be within our timeframe. Conditions for life on another planet could have existed billions of years ago but no longer do, or could exist in billions of years time but do not currently.

So life (as we understand it) likely did, does, or will exist elsewhere but I very much doubt any indications of it will be found long before we are all past caring about it (or we gain the answers to life, the universe, and everything on our death [42?]).
    This is one of the most well-phrased arguments I've seen in a long time for the "intelligent design" theory of the origins of human life. All those vital factors necessary for life "as we know it". Accident? Don't be silly. And the designer would be kind of daft to do his/her/its work in only one place, now wouldn't he/she/it?
    Please visit my eBid stores
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Elandale
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Chapter-One-Collectables

"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy" - Henry Kissinger

Quote Originally Posted by wyocowgirl1 View Post
    Well, seeing as how we haven't had any known visitors - it's probably a safe bet that there's intelligent life!
    There was a science fiction writer (wish I could remember the name) who said that aliens will not visit until we, on earth, become civilised - we seem further and further away from that each day.......

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by earthangel View Post
    This is one of the most well-phrased arguments I've seen in a long time for the "intelligent design" theory of the origins of human life
    What a pity - because it certainly wasn't meant to be. The exact opposite in fact.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by earthangel View Post
    This is one of the most well-phrased arguments I've seen in a long time for the "intelligent design" theory of the origins of human life. All those vital factors necessary for life "as we know it". Accident? Don't be silly. And the designer would be kind of daft to do his/her/its work in only one place, now wouldn't he/she/it?
    Nope. You're mistaking cause and effect for plan. When somebody dies due to a massive string of unfortunate accidents, do you assume somebody planned that end at the start? Maybe it was all an elaborate suicide? Or your God just really hates them and fancied a laugh before they finally snuffed it?

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View gyronny's Feedback (+1772)
    All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post

That argument only applies to very similar life forms to us. Silicon or gaseous life forms would require different startup conditions.

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is great , it just confirms what I said in my OP...I am right ... I am always right.....I mean , over 80% of us cannot all be daft , can we ?....by the way , she .. still thinks I am off my head.....naw , thank you people for beliving in my sanity ?? ......papa.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gyronny View Post
    That argument only applies to very similar life forms to us. Silicon or gaseous life forms would require different startup conditions.
    Hence the 'So life (as we understand it)... '.

I have seen nothing (outside of science fiction) that would suggest 'life' could exist in such forms. Any references?

Heck, we don't even understand carbon based life.
    Last edited by astral276; 14th July 2010 at 12:32 PM.

Thread Information