Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: olympic ceremonies , a waste of money or not.

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • it is a waste.

11 55.00%
  • it is ok.

7 35.00%
  • do not care.

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic games ???

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Olympic games ???

morning folks , I just want your opinion on the Olympic OPENING & CLOSING ceremonies ... do you think there is any need for such a waste of money with these two parts of the games..my own opinion is while they might be very nice to watch , I do not think they are needed , well not aqll the extavaganza rubbish....show the teams , yes..but as said , a lot of money wasted....right then , go for it....have fun .............papa.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

not that anyone will take any notice of the opinion of the 'humble' wo/man in the street. There is just too much prestige at stake

Im all for it , mainly for the young people taking part its something they will never forget or get the chance to take part again .
    One of my sons is going to be a volunteer using up his holiday entitlement to do it , and doing it for free.

Part of the funding for the Olympics is coming from the London Boroughs which have increased the Council Tax to cover the Olympics funding. Every household in London, therefore, has been having to contribute to the funding for the Games. The poor people in London, some of whom are very stressed financially, will be helping to fund the opening and closing ceremonies through their Council Tax. I suspect that a lot of them might think that the money could be put to better use.

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Off topic: Robert, I love your signature. Now if only more people could have an attitude like that ...

On topic: I am against it - sports and physical prowess is all to be encouraged, BUT this is simply a totally commercial venture that has become a waste of taxpayers money, and considering all the other things that need addressing, I think should be a lot further down the list of priorities,

Hire a field and put up tents

Reincarnation is just another repeat

Hi, we live about 4 miles from the new stadium at stratford, and already know that during the olympics many roads in our area will be closed during the day, but we are not told which ones...yet. we also are contributing, as are all london boroughs to the cost, but have no say in how the money is spent. i am also a coach at the nearest athletics track. when london won the bid, the borough of newham set up an athletics academy, all newham schools were scoured to find the top 50 young athletes in the borough, so they could be trained by so called top coaches and newham will have a local athlete in the olympics. the ACADEMY is headed by tessa sanderson the ex- olympic javelin chucker ( at a meagre £60-£70,000 a year) the great coaches ( all failed ex- athletes now on the gravy train) are only paid £40 per hour. guess what?, the athletes they found were already being coached for free by us coaches at local clubs....some, including 1 of mine were already national junior champions. they have now been poached by the academy. what is really mad though,is that they will have a local girl, christine o,horugu, who is a really good chance of a medal, so why have they spent thousands looking for someone? a lot of good amateur coaches have been p***ed off and after the olympics, there will be very few if any good expierienced coaches left in this part of london. that is the legacy we will be left with, and all those that have made money for doing what us, dedicated ones do for free, will be gone. will we win medals in athletics? hopefully, but not many.

Feel free to browse my stores

http://hobbyhabitat.ebid.net All things crafty
    http://plain-and-purl.ebid.net Knitting Patterns
    http://floating-buy.ebid.net Fishing Tackle

in answer to your question papa, its a waste of money, if they had a couple of pole dancers i think the audience will be just as big and also find it just as interesting.........a few essex girls always make for a lively bit of activity....waheeeeeee. (wifeee has just hit me around the head.....i forgot she is an essex girl....bless her)

Feel free to browse my stores

http://hobbyhabitat.ebid.net All things crafty
    http://plain-and-purl.ebid.net Knitting Patterns
    http://floating-buy.ebid.net Fishing Tackle

If god wanted us to run he would not have given us bus passes

Reincarnation is just another repeat

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think it is a bl***y disgrace that they are charging the householders extra council tax for this fiasco....they will not benefit from the games , shop keepers are more likely to show a benefit , or the council...but not the folk who are going to pay ....
    I do not know how they were allowed to do this , I do not understand why they people did not get stuck into them......absolute robbery.....papa.

Thread Information