happiness, fun and productivity

Forum Newbie
    Twentynine Palms, California, United States
    View kickstand's Feedback (+1)
    All-About kickstand
    View kickstand's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have 2 opinions about this.

One is that I have done stupid things and bought things I didn't really want or need. I paid and received the item(s).

Upon that experience, I HAVE let people off the hook at the "other place".

Along with that notion, I have also made simple mistakes and had people try to force me to buy an item. They lie, con, threaten and do anything to make it look like you are an ASS while all the time, they are busy being one.

Being on the receiving end of that is not fun. "Punishment" is not our purview.

So I would suggest that if Ebid would like to enhance th experience with a "Oh gee I changed my mind" button, then it ought to contain a definite time limit on this and for new joinees, they need to be made aware of this feature so that no confusion ensues.

But there we will go... off into fleabay land... gimmicks, manipulations... the stuff of fools. Or at least being treated like foolish cows and sheep.

Forum Newbie
    Twentynine Palms, California, United States
    View kickstand's Feedback (+1)
    All-About kickstand
    View kickstand's Listings
    Forum Posts

also... which we did in the late 90's

we could compile a backout list somewhere OFF ebid, to keep them off the hook, that we could all consult and decide whether to blacklist a "guest" or not.

That worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
    Along with that notion, I have also made simple mistakes and had people try to force me to buy an item.
    Not many sellers will do that but I do have to point out that all the sites I sell on state in their T&C's that once you have bid on an item you have entered a Legally binding contract to purchase said item.... therefore they are quite within their rights to force you to buy said item.... It comes down to the seller and whether or not they will let you back out of the sale... most will some wont
    Last edited by somersethedge; 1st April 2010 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonric View Post
    What are DSRs?
    as you are in America I am not sure of the laws relating to distance selling regulatations are but as you are on eBid and as eBid is a UK Registered site you might have to comply to UK law (I really dont know if you do or dont) and if you do here is a link for you if you want to look it up

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...ral/oft698.pdf

section 2.16 to 2.22 are the main bits for online auctions....

but the whole thing is a minefield and the interpretation of the law has been discussed many times on the forum

Whilst a backout button could be useful from an administrative point of view, it's use shouldn't become the norm. Perhaps some eBid logging system, where a user would receive a warning if the facility was used too frequently, with warnings or an automatic ban if used again within a certain timeframe.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    ...all the sites I sell on state in their T&C's that once you have bid on an item you have entered a Legally binding contract to purchase said item....
    Technically, under UK law at least, that is true. In practice, in all but very rare cases, forcing either seller or buyer to comply with that is not practical either financially or in effort expended.

Another piece of UK law that has plenty of gloss but no substance, and is basically a waste of time.

Back to the original topic though...

As long as I have not incurred any expense then I am quite willing to allow a buyer to back out. No great shakes here (eBay would be a different story). Usually any FV fees here are so small I would not even bother try to recoup them.

A simple way to cancel a sale would be nice to remove the transaction and its follow ups (invoicing, shipping, feedback, etc.) from the system.

As long as I have not incurred any expense then I am quite willing to allow a buyer to back out. No great shakes here (eBay would be a different story). Usually any FV fees here are so small I would not even bother try to recoup them.
    I agree with that BUT not everyone will so there must be a way to recoup the FVF
    Last edited by somersethedge; 1st April 2010 at 10:32 AM.

If we had the feature, would non payers start to claim they changed their minds to avoid getting strikes against them for not paying?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    If we had the feature, would non payers start to claim they changed their minds to avoid getting strikes against them for not paying?
    Two part answer.

I think most non-payers just vanish, I don't seem the hanging about to get out of a strike from a site they've probably decided not to use again anyway.

Up there (waves hands about) I suggested an audit trail to track "undos" done, and investigate anybody who seems to be abusing the facility*, and others have agreed/suggested similar things.

*This could work in exactly the same way the "excessive negatives" check does.

Thread Information