My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Shop view counters are broken?

Default Shop view counters are broken?

I'm increasingly convinced the view counters for shop items are busted... There seems to be such a consistent pattern where the listings I have assigned to shop categories show 0 views whereas the ones not yet placed in my shop show several... If you look at the following screenshot you will see the same item, listed at the same price (accidentally listed twice in fact, I am just about to remove the duplicate listing), the shop items show 0 views, the non-shop one shows 8... This is pretty much the case across all my items, the vast majority show 0 views but any not yet assigned to to the shop show several. Having said that it's hard to assess as my non-music items tend to attract much more interest here...

I am going to try an objective test soon, I will ask a volunteer to view some listings with 0 views and see if the hits register, will report back soon

Forum Newbie
    View ivesondesigns's Feedback (+1807)
    All-About ivesondesigns
    View ivesondesigns's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have noticed that my listing counters go up and down maybe they are broken but due to the new site going live on the 5th their is no point in fixing the bug

the view numbers are at best unreliable at the best of times... some member have been "complaining" the other way, with 1,000+ views within a few minuets of the listing going live.

my thoughts on the matter are does it really matter how many views you get (yes it might be nice to know but....) it's the person who hits the bid/buy button that really matters.... I dont care if 1,000's of people look at my items or just the one looks so long as one of them hits the bid/buy (and pays me )

Forum Newbie
    View ivesondesigns's Feedback (+1807)
    All-About ivesondesigns
    View ivesondesigns's Listings
    Forum Posts

For me the view counters are very important because if a item is not selling but has loads of page views ( ie bringing customers to my store ) i would leave it alone but if the item wasn't selling and had a low page view count the item would be deleted plus the view counter can help you estimate the traffic in your store

Yes I can see the logic in your reply signs.... but I still think it does not matter if 1,000 visit your store or just 10 visit it's the number of visitors who buy that count.... mind you it also depends on what you list/sell... if you specialize in a certain area only one person might want the item anyway and it might take months for that person to see said item.... so it comes down to "horses for course's"... to some the count could be very important but not to others (I'm in the others camp )

I agree sales are the important thing, but I think it would help to retain sellers if the counters were properly functional, as I think it would discourage new sellers from using the site if it seems they are not getting any traffic... In any case, for me personally I have only ever sold about three records on here, so the view counters are just about all that is keeping me going... My sales on eBid are a fraction of what I do on other sites but I am sticking with it in the hope that views will eventually translate into sales

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHappinessRecords View Post
    My sales on eBid are a fraction of what I do on other sites but I am sticking with it in the hope that views will eventually translate into sales
    if you are not listing on the bay then you have no choice but to list on as many sites as you can handle, as no one site has the pulling power of the bay. hopefully you can then find a site where sales are good and a few that are so-so which when added together (and taking the fees into consideration) comes close to what you did sell on the bay.... well thats how I look at things these days

Yup. I closed my feebay shop in Autumn 2008 and boycotted them pretty much completely since then. I do around 80% of my sales on a music-only site and the rest on a variety of other sites. I have my own independently-hosted shop that I wrote in OSCommerce but that's a new thing. My net profits are up 50% from last year when I was doing 80% of my sales on the dark side

you and I sound very much alike it's so nice to make so much more profit now isn't it

Thread Information