Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: general free promotion ideas for users and ebid admins :)

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Lightbulb general free promotion ideas for users and ebid admins :)

Ok a bit of a pretentious title I know, but I think its an idea for all of us, and I have a suggestion also for the Ebid admins (that may be of interest to Ebid users who have thier own websites as well)

First of all, I think there could potentially be a lot more use made of the social networking groups. Not in a spamming manner, but in the creation of Ebid discussion groups. That way discussion is active among Ebid users, and friends get to see the discussions and maybe are thence inspired to use Ebid.

I know theres a Facebook group for UK Ebid users, which I joined, but none showed up for Stateside. Facebooks good because you can invite your facebook friends directly to the group. (my entire friends list got invited, hehe)
    I spend time on Livejournal, so I started up an unofficial ebid discussion/ auction posting community on there. But of course there are loads of other sites - myspace, dreamwidth, bebo, vox, wordpress, blogspot, Yahoo groups, the list goes on and on, and if people who use those sites a lot could get discussion groups about Ebid going, or even the admins of Ebid themselves start groups, then I think that could raise the profile a lot.

There are also other ways of site promotion, and for the amdram group I am publicity officer for, I have found Webring.org a good place to promote sites as well, though Webring-ing Ebid would of course be a job for the site admins. Thats not to say that people with a personal website that links to thier ebid auctions might not be able to use it the same way.

Hope you dont mind the suggestions - I would do them if I had the hours in the day, but since I dont, the next best thing is to make the suggestions. After all even if we all do a bit each, the word could spread really well.
    Last edited by darklisruthven; 16th November 2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: a typo!

There is also a group on Flickr for people who sell on ebid, you can't advertise directly on there but it makes people aware of the site.
    See my YDC auctions here

Quote Originally Posted by darklisruthven View Post
    Ok a bit of a pretentious title I know, but I think its an idea for all of us, and I have a suggestion also for the Ebid admins (that may be of interest to Ebid users who have thier own websites as well)

First of all, I think there could potentially be a lot more use made of the social networking groups. Not in a spamming manner, but in the creation of Ebid discussion groups. That way discussion is active among Ebid users, and friends get to see the discussions and maybe are thence inspired to use Ebid.

I know theres a Facebook group for UK Ebid users, which I joined, but none showed up for Stateside. Facebooks good because you can invite your facebook friends directly to the group. (my entire friends list got invited, hehe)
    I spend time on Livejournal, so I started up an unofficial ebid discussion/ auction posting community on there. But of course there are loads of other sites - myspace, dreamwidth, bebo, vox, wordpress, blogspot, Yahoo groups, the list goes on and on, and if people who use those sites a lot could get discussion groups about Ebid going, or even the admins of Ebid themselves start groups, then I think that could raise the profile a lot.

There are also other ways of site promotion, and for the amdram group I am publicity officer for, I have found Webring.org a good place to promote sites as well, though Webring-ing Ebid would of course be a job for the site admins. Thats not to say that people with a personal website that links to thier ebid auctions might not be able to use it the same way.

Hope you dont mind the suggestions - I would do them if I had the hours in the day, but since I dont, the next best thing is to make the suggestions. After all even if we all do a bit each, the word could spread really well.

Good ideas! Business groups have been suggesting small business owners join social networking sites to make themselves more visible too. Its free too, except for spending the time.

Another suggestion is to move on to the big league and actually run an ad on a site selling related stuff. i.e. you sell garden stuff, run ad on most popular garden help site. Very expensive but can increase sales 50+ times over in matter of weeks. I suppose you have a backup plan for handling the business (or relatives who can pack up stuff fast)! A lot of ways to market.

I know what you mean about time! Too little of it. And since it means money, when we try a new idea out like social networking, it has to generate some business for us or we have to drop it to do other stuff (eat, sleep).

Thread Information