eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I grow healthy fingernails?

Default How do I grow healthy fingernails?

Ive bitten my nails for as long as I can remember, but for the last couple of months Ive been really trying hard to grow them. They were becoming a nice length until I bashed one a couple of days ago and it just broke! not a split, but a chunk of nail!!

Yesterday another broke at my fingertip and today two more have snapped. Im figuring that my nails are soft and hard respectively (some bend and some are very solid) and I am filing them in one direction when they break.

My problem is its really disheartening that I am trying so hard and now they just look tatty and I want to clip and file them all down to my fingers so they look tidy again, but frustrated that its taken so long to get them looking half decent.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to grow healthy strong nails please?

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sally Hanson nail growth..Avon used to do a Liquid silk (was fab)..never use a metal file..and use a good handcream at night..one formulated for nails..

View samart0152's Feedback (+122)
    All-About samart0152
    View samart0152's Listings
    Forum Posts

As a beautician I always advice my clients to use plenty of oil on their nails between manicures.Even something simple like olive or sunflower oil massaged into your nails 2 to 3 times a day will make a huge difference.(you can add an essential oil like lavender or rose to the oil if you like to make it smell better and all essential oils have their own special benefits).The massaging increases blood flow to your nails which improves them all round.Also a 3 in one nail buffer used once a month is great.If you have time for the messing around heat dried horsetail gently in your olive or sunflower oil for three hours and then strain the oil and bottle or jar it(bin the horsetail afterwards).Horsetail contains massive amounts of silica which is naturally present in nails and so is amazing for great,healthy,shiny nails.Uuum what else?......oh yes gloves! gloves for washing up,gloves for gardening you get the idea.No typing or texting with your nails,use the pads of your fingers.Hope this helps,pity you don't live near me I could of thrown in a free manicure to get you started.Feel free to pm me if you want any more advice.
    Samantha.

Eat jelly
    http://im1.ebidst.com/upload_banner/booksforsale_61768.jpg

Booksforsale For Vintage Homewares and New & Secondhand Books

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by booksforsale View Post
    Eat jelly
    I wonder what Jean's fingernails are like

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

paint them with POR 15 they will not break again!
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phanmale View Post
    Ive bitten my nails for as long as I can remember, but for the last couple of months Ive been really trying hard to grow them. They were becoming a nice length until I bashed one a couple of days ago and it just broke! not a split, but a chunk of nail!!

Yesterday another broke at my fingertip and today two more have snapped. Im figuring that my nails are soft and hard respectively (some bend and some are very solid) and I am filing them in one direction when they break.

My problem is its really disheartening that I am trying so hard and now they just look tatty and I want to clip and file them all down to my fingers so they look tidy again, but frustrated that its taken so long to get them looking half decent.

Invest in some cotton gloves

Last thing at night, smother your hands with any hand & nail cream......then go to bed looking like Minnie Mouse pmsl

seriously......it works

Also, wear a clear or base coat varnish, but remember to take it off every few days & let your nails breathe

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Quote Originally Posted by phanmale View Post

Luckily, having grown up on a farm, biting nails was never an option. Although I must admit, the fresh cows milk that I was reared on played it part in providing me with strong bones, teeth and nails. Although, as the years have taken their toll, along with gardening, building work, and all other manner of tasks / chores that had to be done through the years - my nails have had a little help to protect them from the elements.

I have always used a good nail conditioner / strengthner as a base, and have always applied a coat of nail varnish. Last week I cut my finger nails - my nails was over 1cm longer than the finger - so something that I'm doing must be right. They don't get protected by gloves when I'm gardening or washing up or anything, but like Samantha says - if you're nails are delicate - then they need all the protection and help that they can get, and she has given good advise. A good hand and nail cream is also an essential.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

As usual I'll weigh in with the benefits of using an equine product, in this case hoof conditioner, but I suppose the actual massaging of the cuticles does as much as whatever ingredients are in the potion. I really like a product called Corona, don't know if you can get it there, the ingredient that contributes to its success is lanolin. It is a general-purpose ointment for hoof maintenance, wound care, and hair regrowth.

The healthier the person growing the nails, the better the results will be. Google "fingernails as health indicators" and browse through the results

When I did have long nails, I found the more manual work I did with the nails unprotected, the stronger they grew. My Asian friends always told me that to have strong nails, you need to put some stress on them so the body will lay in a tougher nail as they grow out. In high school those girls had the longest nails of all, they tapped the nails tips on the desktops if they weren't writing. To return to the equine comparison, in England the trainers told us they lightly worked young horses on paved surfaces to encourage better hooves and bones; in this country we believe differently. My Amish neighbors believe as the English trainers do, and having lived near the Amish for more than a decade I can say their horses hooves and leg bones hold up better in the long run than the American horses do.

Good luck!
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Quote Originally Posted by booksforsale View Post
    Eat jelly
    Works for me, huge difference when I eat jelly often 3/4 times a week.

Thread Information