My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PayPal and Student Accounts?

Amazing. So it's OK to give young people a driver's license at age 16 (in most provinces in Canada) but it's not OK to give them a credit card or paypal account?
    A vehicle can be a deadly weapon where as I do not think a credit card will kill anyone. If the person is responsible I still see no problem giving them the trust. You probally meet the young driver's on the road every day. Not sure what the legal age to obtain a driver's license is in the UK.?
    Just my own outlook on it of course. Some people mature alot faster than others.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckbid View Post
    Amazing. So it's OK to give young people a driver's license at age 16 (in most provinces in Canada) but it's not OK to give them a credit card or paypal account?
    A vehicle can be a deadly weapon where as I do not think a credit card will kill anyone. If the person is responsible I still see no problem giving them the trust. You probally meet the young driver's on the road every day. Not sure what the legal age to obtain a driver's license is in the UK.?
    Just my own outlook on it of course. Some people mature alot faster than others.
    You are comparing apples and diesel engines. A driver's license is a government-issued piece of identification that not only helps a person prove that they have the necessary skills to operate a motor vehicle, but also proves who they are. The ability of an individual to function properly in a sprawling country like ours is greatly enhanced with a driver's license, and yet it is still a privilege to own one. The licensing bureau provides educational materials to applicants and administers written and driving tests to ensure that people who get licenses have a good knowledge of the operation of a motor vehicle and the rules of the road. By contrast, credit cards are given to people without any sort of guidance as to their proper use. It is hardly a privilege to own a credit card. In fact, trust doesn't enter into contract between the card holder and card issuer. The banks expect people to spend beyond their means as a way to make large profits. Banks giving out credit cards is like dentists giving out gummy bears and bottles of Pepsi.

Giving a child a credit card is more like giving a child a car than a driver's license. You can trust that child all you want, but if you have not ensured that the child is educated in the proper use of the card/car, you are doing a disservice to that child and to society as a whole. You are putting that child in harm's way by allowing them access to tools with which they can hurt themselves and cause extensive collateral damage to other innocent people. But then you seem to be in favour of allowing this sort of thing to happen. You compare giving PayPal accounts to kids with 15-year old girls giving birth and 16-year olds driving cars. Please, stop before you dig yourself a deeper hole.
    Last edited by marschenegger; 15th August 2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: purple monkey dishwasher
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

bump
    ================

Unfortunately in computerland, ya never know if you are dealing with a legal adult or not.

Many kids buy on line and use their parent's cards and we do not even know it, so the PP thing is probably no big deal. And anytime a case goes to court with a parent claiming they are not responsible for their child under 18, they get told they are responsible and have to pay up.

But those selling electronics, CDs, DVDs might have to be a bit more alert who they are selling to!

lol You say please stop and then bump the thread? If you had read I posted it's my opinion on it. As it's been pointed out to me, who are you to pass judgement on whether they should be allowed or not? It's your opinion only. If a person is responsible then they are responsible. Are you going to give a retarded person a credit card then because they are over 18? The previous post makes a good point and also very true. I'm all for healthy dicussion. Not into character bashing.

I bumped because I edited my previous answer. I consider this a debate but if you feel threatened by it and call it character bashing, maybe it's because you know you've taken a weak position. It's all good because I'm not desperate enough for sales to appeal to kids.
    ================

Sorry I do not feel threatened at all. If young people can drive cars and fly airplanes then they surely deserve enough respect to have a credit line. I sell items for young people and old. If you feel threatened because I disagree I'm sorry for you. I stand by my comments. If the person is responsible there is no problem. You make it sound like every young driver is a problem which we know is not the case. How many older people can not control their own finances? I still agree to dsagree.

edit: And on a further note I like young people. I have 2 daughters who are both very responsible. I'll be willing to bet by the nature of your posts that you have no children. Could be wrong but some how I think I'm right.
    Last edited by canuckbid; 15th August 2009 at 09:22 PM.

I'm not psychic, but I had an ominous feeling that someone was going to drop the inevitable question regarding my offspring and use that as a yardstick by which to measure the validity of my comments. Debate ended, you win. PayPal is going to do whatever PayPal wants to do, regardless of what anyone thinks (even if you have kids).
    ================

There is no winners in a debate. To have both sides thoughts brought forward is the directive. I think there is both pro's and con's to allowing younger people to have a paypal account. I think we should not judge all people the same whether they be young or old. One bad apple can spoil a whole barrel but if you remove the bad apple soon enough the barrel can be saved. No hard feelings on my part in having this debate.

Just to throw in my tuppence worth.......16 year olds are going to supposedly mature and sensible enough to hold a credit card and drive a vehicle.

Yet they are not considered mature enough to view ''18'' movies, or buy me a drink?

Notice - the buy ME a drink - thats all I want.

Thread Information