Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any car mechanics in here :)

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Any car mechanics in here :)

I have a ford focus zetec on a 51 plate

I noticed on the way home that my engine management light was on, not sure how long it's been on, but now i'm scared to drive it and i need it,
    i have noticed after i see the light that on tick over that the engine loses rev almost to the point but not quiet in stalling the engine,

I need to find the cel code so i know what it could be and know there is someway you can find out without one of those hand held thingys,

am googling but unsure what to google for except cel codes, just wondered if someone here knew

thankyou
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

Take it to Auto Zone or a car place similar and they will hook it up to their handheld computer and tell you what the code and problem is for free.

All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaceDragon View Post
    Take it to Auto Zone or a car place similar and they will hook it up to their handheld computer and tell you what the code and problem is for free.
    Thanks lace, think we have to pay over here, i did on my last car, but will have to find someone who has one of those thingymajigs that you plug in to it

, trouble is

i'm to scared to drive it now, and i bet/hope its summit so silly, and yes i did put the right fuel in it

When did you last check your oil?
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Froncysyllte Llangollen, Wrexham, United Kingdom
    View tjsprinting's Feedback (+433)
    All-About tjsprinting
    View tjsprinting's Listings
    Forum Posts

Had similar on my puma, it was the idle control valve that had gone, just meant I had to keep a few revs on at junctions other wise it cut out, it was a bit of a pain til I got it done, now I still forget and toe and heel at a junction to keep the revs up when I dont need to.
    Cost me about £35 to get it fixed.

Made to measure internal and external softwood doors and gates.
    Visit our ebid store to see a wide range of ledge and brace, cottage, stable and garage doors along with a selection of single and paired gates. Just click on the banner above

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thats the trouble with these modern engines you need a degree and all sorts of electronics to sort them out. Give me a good old fashioned engine anyday, at least you have a good chance of fixing it yourself.
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

Just noticed this post on the way to bed. 9/10 times it has to do with your exhaust oxygen sensor. Your cadillac convertor (an extra bottle on your exhaust system that plugs up after time.) It traps particles coming out of your engine. Makes back pressure also. Or it could also mean you have a piston going in the engine. Make sure you check all your fluid levels. I've had the sensor go in numerous cars and trucks and driven many miles with the light on. Not a mechanic but have a fair amount of experience behind the wheel. You might even see the light go out after awhile. Usually appears if you have been driving hard or have gone on a long drive.
    Could be a faulty sensor. Hard to trouble shoot from here. If all your fluid levels are good do not be scared to drive it.

All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by canuckbid View Post
    Just noticed this post on the way to bed. 9/10 times it has to do with your exhaust oxygen sensor. Your cadillac convertor (an extra bottle on your exhaust system that plugs up after time.) It traps particles coming out of your engine. Makes back pressure also. Or it could also mean you have a piston going in the engine. Make sure you check all your fluid levels. I've had the sensor go in numerous cars and trucks and driven many miles with the light on. Not a mechanic but have a fair amount of experience behind the wheel. You might even see the light go out after awhile. Usually appears if you have been driving hard or have gone on a long drive.
    Could be a faulty sensor. Hard to trouble shoot from here. If all your fluid levels are good do not be scared to drive it.
    now I'm scared

checked all fluid levels and there fine,

Went round my stepmums and called the AA man said I know the problem it is the maf sensor, i took the word of the AA man even tho he did not check the code from my engine management system. when i went in to get my AA card after he diagnosed the problem, I came out and he said he had cleared the codes, but after a i drove about 100mtrs the light was back on, i presumed this was because he had unpluged the sensor and my car knew it

so i phone a car spares place, took my car down there and they fitted one on for me, checked the code then cleared it, the light went out

There was me was merrily driving along, wondows down and music goint then wham the light came back on and my car was evern worse, revs were going right up then down, phoned up the car spares place who told me to take it back

When i got there i asked then to put the thingymajig back into it to see what the code read as i was'nt convinced it was the mav sensor I knew it picked it up first time but that was because the aa man had disconnected it, I was right so i had done all that for nowt, they said they think it's the idle valve sensor, which they are trying to do right now (fit it on)

Code from engine management is P0171 system to lean (bank 1)

if this dont work, gotta see what that code is then

thanks all for your input

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Did you try just googling "ford focus zetec P0171"? I've just done it and there's plenty of hits.

Quote Originally Posted by fossy7 View Post
    Thats the trouble with these modern engines you need a degree and all sorts of electronics to sort them out. Give me a good old fashioned engine anyday, at least you have a good chance of fixing it yourself.

Those were the good days when even I could do my own basic mechanical repairs - there's many a time when I've had the head gasket off, gearbox out, or struggling to get the stearing rack off to change a boot - and the most complicated thing on a car then was the carbarettor (sp?).
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Thread Information