Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Would you like to have scheduled listings.......

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Visible straight away

1 4.35%
  • Hidden until the start time

21 91.30%
  • No view one way or the other

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please hide scheduled listings

Default Please hide scheduled listings

No only is this annoying from a buyers view, but also from a sellers view as well, and also from a YDC view too.

So is there anyway that scheduled listings can be hidden until the start time.
    Last edited by raindropsies2; 14th July 2009 at 04:18 PM.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

Visibility is good

What's the problem?
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

View earthangel's Feedback (+29)
    All-About earthangel
    View earthangel's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've not used scheduled listings but wouldn't it be more useful for them to be seen? If a prospective buyer saw something they wanted and when it would be available to buy/bid on, wouldn't this encourage them to come back?
    Please visit my eBid stores
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Elandale
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Chapter-One-Collectables

"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy" - Henry Kissinger

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think there are several problems with scheduled items being visible. One is that as the pages are currently designed, it is not in the least obvious that the item is not yet available, and buyers will become frustrated trying to buy things they can't yet buy. I think that with both scheduled and holiday items being visible but not buyable (if holiday settings are used) there is a danger of a significant portion of the site being "you can look, but you can't buy" which waters down the effectiveness of the site. I also think that it would be nice to be able to use the scheduling system as a way of pre-preparing items in stages, and it would be nice to be able to put up a bunch of stuff that wasn't quite there yet and know that one's potential buyers weren't going to see this half-baked items.

I don't actually think the "it spoils the surprise" is at all relevant, it's just a bonus that that would be improved too.

Forum Lurker
    Only One, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
    View Annes_Nostalgia's Feedback (+388)
    All-About Annes_Nostalgia
    View Annes_Nostalgia's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree with the request and bykimbo's analysis. If as a buyer I see something that really appeals, or something I have been looking for, only to find that I must come back in 3 days time I would probably not only lose interest, but also be fairly miffed.

As a seller I would use the scheduled listing as I like my auctions to end between 9 and 10pm on a Saturday or Sunday. [The only tip I remember from the dark side was that was when most successful auctions ended]. Then I could put the listings on during the week and start the next Saturday or Sunday, run for 7 days, and repost and maintain the Saturday/Sunday plan.

I tried this for a while, but when I thought about the buyer irritation after it happened to me I decided against it, so my listings now start 'immediately'.

"Pretty please", Gazza ?? !!

I sort of lean toward the listings always being visible, even if auction not started or item not available for sale yet IF that is clear in listing. If I bid and get a message that tells me auction or BIN starts in 3 days, oh, ok, I will come back. But if I get no message and just waste my time trying to bid/buy and can't then showing unavailable items is silly and a time waster.

I guess letting them always showt would depend on what info I got when I tried to bid.

I would like them hidden if possible. When I first came back to the site and did a scheduled listing it really confused me when I saw my advert appear. I thought I had done something wrong and somehow put the wrong date on it !
    I've also gone to bid on a couple of things and then realised I couldn't which I find off putting.

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    No only is this annoying from a buyers view, but also from a sellers view as well, and also from a YDC view too.

So is there anyway that scheduled listings can be hidden until the start time.
    I agree 100% with this.

If a listing is visible to a potential buyer they should be able to bid/buy on it immediately (with the exception of the 'Happy Hour' listings for which a seller pays a significant premium).

On a related note:

I love the YDC and I love the fact hundreds of £s are raised each month for great causes but there has to be a balance.

It's a shame the YDC seems to have gone from one week a month to almost three weeks per month and beyond (taking into account announcements, scheduled listings, plug threads, tally threads etc..).

Shezz does an amazing job each and every month in organising the YDC and she has done so for many years.

In order to avoid resentment maybe we should go back to the "good old days" approach of 1 week per month on YDC and 3 weeks per month making sales (ha ha! ).

Rock, Pop, Indie, Dance and more CDs

By coincidence, I was browsing and came across an item of interest. It was a scheduled listing that had not started. I thought it was a bug, so I wasn't miffed or anything, but I completely understand where the sentiment being expressed by others is coming from.
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom
    View scotty67's Feedback (+283)
    All-About scotty67
    View scotty67's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would prefer them to be hidden until they start its frustrating when you find something and cant place a bid and i would probably forget to go back and bid.

Thread Information