Thread: Is this cheating???

Forum Lurker
    Only One, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
    View Annes_Nostalgia's Feedback (+388)
    All-About Annes_Nostalgia
    View Annes_Nostalgia's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Is this cheating???

I was looking for a pair of slippers this morning and came across this statement on an auction:

Please note:The price for this pair of shoes is the total cost AND postage. Ebid take a cut of the selling price but not a cut of the postage, so we save money by reducing the selling price and increasing the postage. This reduces the ebid fees and we pass that saving on to you. You save about £2.00 compared to buying the shoes full price with standard post. So remember that although we call is postage, it is in fact part of the price. This means that we cannot discount the postage if you buy more than one pair.Auction ID : 14064233 The price was.99p for the slippers and £7.99 for postage, location UK.

This looks very like cheating eBid out of what is due?

I am interested to know what others think.

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

if this is right ??? it is known as ...FEE EVATION .....report the auction.....papa.

View 11thEagle's Feedback (+73)
    All-About 11thEagle
    View 11thEagle's Listings
    Forum Posts

Cant see how they work out it saves £2 that would make the fees 20% more like saving 20p.
    Martin

Here to save my Wife having to go back to work so she can continue to do a fantastic job bring up my kids

www.retailperceptions.co.uk

Wakefield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View nobrassband's Feedback (+1072)
    All-About nobrassband
    View nobrassband's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you believe that it breaches eBid's rules, you should report the auction using the Report This Auction link on the listing. eBid can take appropriate action if deemed necessary.

It may be fee evasion or avoidance, but, at least, it seems that the seller is being open with potential purchasers.

It may even be a bargain from the purchaser's point of view if the total cost is taken into account - I do not have an opinion on that.

Just report it if you think its wrong.
    Last edited by ainttalkin; 11th July 2009 at 08:41 AM.

Books and More from nobrassband

~~~
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
    (Isaac Asimov)

Forum Lurker
    Only One, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
    View Annes_Nostalgia's Feedback (+388)
    All-About Annes_Nostalgia
    View Annes_Nostalgia's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ainttalkin View Post
    If you believe that it breaches eBid's rules, you should report the auction using the Report This Auction link on the listing. eBid can take appropriate action if deemed necessary.

It may be fee evasion or avoidance, but, at least, it seems that the seller is being open with potential purchasers.
    Thank you. I did write to ebid about it. I tried the report button, but am limited seemingly to the list that is then available, and this did not seem to fit any of those infringements.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Annes_Nostalgia View Post
    I tried the report button, but am limited seemingly to the list that is then available, and this did not seem to fit any of those infringements.
    That has annoyed me before. It really needs an 'Other' field with a free text entry field becoming available if it is selected. Always nice to be able to pigeon-hole things but that is not a lot of use if what you have is an ostrich.

All that effort to cheat someone out of a few pennies, when that someone lets you list on a high traffic site for free? AND asking the buyer to participate in the fraud! I would report this person in a heartbeat.

Support our troops and honor our veterans.

Wakefield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View nobrassband's Feedback (+1072)
    All-About nobrassband
    View nobrassband's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Annes_Nostalgia View Post
    Thank you. I did write to ebid about it. I tried the report button, but am limited seemingly to the list that is then available, and this did not seem to fit any of those infringements.

I reported excessive P&P quite a while back (maybe years ago). The P&P was in the hundreds.

I used the category 'Get Rich Schemes' (seemed the closest and somehow appropriate) and added some additional comments explaining the reason for reporting.

The auction did vanish but no 'Excessive P&P/Shipping' category was added to the list. Certainly, an 'Other' category would be useful.
    Last edited by ainttalkin; 11th July 2009 at 09:41 AM.

Books and More from nobrassband

~~~
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
    (Isaac Asimov)

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ainttalkin View Post
    I reported excessive P&P quite a while back (maybe years ago). The P&P was in the hundreds.

I used the category 'Get Rich Scheme' (seemed the closest and somehow appropriate) and added some additional comments explaining the reason for reporting.

The auction did vanish but no 'Excessive P&P/Shipping' category was added to the list. Certainly, an 'Other' category would be useful.
    I sincerely hope if someone finds my p&p excessive they would tell me first. While relisting yesterday I found a book where I had the postage as £141.00 I must have forgotten the decimal point when listing and the system added it where it thought it appropriate. But no one told me!

Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom
    View scotty67's Feedback (+283)
    All-About scotty67
    View scotty67's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think this is wrong on feebay you can be suspended for it and it should be similar here i don't think they will get sales here stating that in a listing.

Thread Information