Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haggling in shops

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View DaisyChain's Feedback (+76)
    All-About DaisyChain
    View DaisyChain's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Haggling in shops

Just wondering if anyone has tried the above, as Im thikning of being a bit cheeky tomorrow and seeing if I can get a big name retail place to come down in price over a Acer Netbook I have seen

So anyone tried it, any hints?
    Click here to see my items for Sale!
    Amiga, Mega Drive, Playstation Games and More!

I have never had the courage to try and haggle in shops, only at boot sales, although on that programme, 'don't get done, get dom' he says to do it, so why not give it a try, you never know you might get a discount

Jane

I haggled once with my first pc. I got a printer, scanner and corel print house (dtp prog) thrown in.
    Tried it again on my 2nd pc and as well as £150 trade in on the old, I got £350 worth of software added to my sale for nothing.
    Personally for an acer laptop, I would scour the net and find the best possible price (incl postage) then armed with this price, cos mr salesman I can get it from here, delivered to my door, but you will lose your commission mr salesman, but you have to stick it out - if you then go on to buy it at retail price youre a mug for paying over the odds. If you get it for the delivered price from the retail store then you know you got it as cheap as! And of course theres the satisfaction that you gave mr salesman some pennies for his christmas shopping

All-About DaisyChain
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phanmale View Post
    I haggled once with my first pc. I got a printer, scanner and corel print house (dtp prog) thrown in.
    Tried it again on my 2nd pc and as well as £150 trade in on the old, I got £350 worth of software added to my sale for nothing.
    Personally for an acer laptop, I would scour the net and find the best possible price (incl postage) then armed with this price, cos mr salesman I can get it from here, delivered to my door, but you will lose your commission mr salesman, but you have to stick it out - if you then go on to buy it at retail price youre a mug for paying over the odds. If you get it for the delivered price from the retail store then you know you got it as cheap as! And of course theres the satisfaction that you gave mr salesman some pennies for his christmas shopping

Tesco are offering the best price on the one I want by 99p: compared to where im going(, I could get one on ebay however for around £30 less bringing price down to £150ish. However ive not seen one local to me, and dont really fancy paying anything other than cash in hand.............

and theres none on here

youve not tried a search on google then......

the acer laptop i got was about £150 cheaper than it was in the shops at the time, and my daughter in law bought similar and saved £90 on RRP.

Go *direct* to a dedicated *Laptop* store - cant leave url, but a search should bring it up.... but certainly do a search before you part with your hard earned.....

View VandTnut's Feedback (+7)
    All-About VandTnut
    View VandTnut's Listings
    Forum Posts

As has been said above make sure when you go in you have all the facts and figures from the net on what you can >really< buy the item for. Wouldn't hurt to have screenshots printed out and in a folder with you to actually show them ...... this price, at this time and date.
    Get the store manager involved as well as the salesman. That is the person who has the ultimate power to "cut a deal". With times the way they are and stores scrambling for sales a lot of merchants who wouldn't budge on a price a year ago will be much more flexible on pricing now if they see a customer with cash in their pocket.
    Good luck in your negotiations
    ED

View CornishPixi's Feedback (+306)
    All-About CornishPixi
    View CornishPixi's Listings
    Forum Posts

I try it on almost everywhere , even the bakers one day

Say your paying in cash I find that makes a difference . Dont take their 1st no for an answer . If they dont do discounts ask about extra's and what their going to throw in and remind them your paying cash

I got £150 off me tv and all them fancy hi tech hd cable thingmejigs that go with it , Id of took the dvd player too if I didnt already have more than enough

All-About DaisyChain
    Forum Posts

Thanks to all the advice above, Im certainly going with the cash in my hand. Ive been to many car boots & Antique fairs and its amazing how people drop their prices once you wave actual cash about.

I may even go a in my work stuff, i.e.e suite and booted, and with my work pass it makes me look posher than normal

I know it all depends on the merchandise and the seller, but I am really fed up with hagglers. Of course, I am selling parts that are unavailable for the most part and I do try to be reasonable with my asking price, but many times I have been offered a fraction of my price and it doesn't sit well with me.
    <a href=http://us.ebid.net/stores/Princess-Os-Treasures target=_blank><font color=#111111><span style=font-family: Tahoma>http://us.ebid.net/stores/Princess-Os-Treasures</span></font></a>

I YDC, Do you?

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you can figure out when the store does inventory, such as end of the month, try to get there just before that time. Also then they do tax calculations such as end of the year or maybe quarterly. THey might like to get stuff out of the store then. Also possibly near closing time when sales people are eager to go home and more amenable to making deals. All this assumes the computer you're looking at isn't some kind of loss leader and prone to being snapped up the minute the store opens in the morning!

Do you have any friends or relatives who might also want the same computer you do? Possibly offering to buy two or more would get you a better price.

I wonder if buying anythnig else in that same store at the same time would get you more favorable consideration for a reduction in total price.

Thread Information