Forum Posts

i'm doing it on my comp as i type so will explaine it in the next post
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

ok do everything that goth has said right to the point where you get to host, right click on host go to properites, then click on security
    Last edited by shezz; 30th June 2009 at 10:00 PM.

All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

in mine i have

SYSTEM
    Administrators( shezza-PC\Administrators)
    Useres(shezzPC\Users)

you will also see at the bottom permissions for system
    Cick on Advance

Will take you to the permissons sections
    look at the coloumn where it says permission if there is one that says read & execute, highlight it then click on edit

should bring up another screen, click on the edit button and tick on full control, close

go back to the host and put in the isp ect, then you will be allowed to save it

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

This all sounds like PC Windows shmindows to me.

I'm accessing eBid using Firefox on a Mac via BT Broadband and have had no problems getting onto eBid - all I had to do was to navigate to and re-bookmark My eBid and put my username and password in again.

eBid works. Your computer / browser / ISP obviously does not.

On a side note, how many times have you people actually experienced a website change of server? It can take up to 48 hours for DNS servers to update themselves, this is totally beyond eBid's control, beyond ISP's control, beyond your control.

All you can do is hope that the DNS servers your ISP uses update quickly. Go to the main eBid website www.ebid.net to see that it works, then navigate from there through to the UK site and your My eBid page.

Your browser will need to be told where the new site is, as it probably still has the old information cached (which is now out of date and useless).

I'm amazed that people are editing system files in Windows, I would not even contemplate doing so to access a web site unless it was part of some secure VPN, which eBid definitely is not. It's like fiddling with your car engine when all you have to do is clean your windscreen (or even just wait for the fog to lift).
    Last edited by heatemyfather; 30th June 2009 at 10:11 PM.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

All you Virgin peeps out there.
    I am with NTL / Virgin
    I have had problems all day yesterday and this morning up till 9.30am.
    I then cleared all temp internet files and cookies.

I then went out and came back at about 11.30am.
    I clicked on my usual icon for eBid and everything was fine.
    I could get the forums, my ebid, I even reposted a few auctions and no probs.
    I bet by tomorrow morning everything will be back to normal.
    Except the speed that the pages load at.

They load straight away.

All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heatemyfather View Post

I'm accessing eBid using Firefox on a Mac via BT Broadband and have had no problems getting onto eBid - all I had to do was to navigate to and re-bookmark My eBid and put my username and password in again.

On a side note, how many times have you people actually experienced a website change of server? It can take up to 48 hours for DNS servers to update themselves, this is totally beyond eBid's control, beyond ISP's control, beyond your control.

All you can do is hope that the DNS servers your ISP uses update quickly. Go to the main eBid website www.ebid.net to see that it works, then navigate from there through to the UK site and your My eBid page.

Your browser will need to be told where the new site is, as it probably still has the old information cached (which is now out of date and useless).

I'm amazed that people are editing system files in Windows, I would not even contemplate doing so to access a web site unless it was part of some secure VPN, which eBid definitely is not. It's like fiddling with your car engine when all you have to do is clean your windscreen.
    It was a work around youngest did for me yesterday so I could get in. He changed it all back later when it was no longer needed. I let Gothicina know as she was having the same problem.
    When we decided it was cheaper for us to host our server elsewhere it took a couple of days for everything to sort itself out so was expecting a few glitches.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm amazed that people are editing system files in Windows, I would not even contemplate doing so to access a web site unless it was part of some secure VPN, which eBid definitely is not. It's like fiddling with your car engine when all you have to do is clean your windscreen (or even just wait for the fog to lift).
    I done a spit and polish on my system, cleared everthing out, downloaded ie8 and firefox, i spent over an hour on the phone to virgin who insisted that it was my lappy that was stopping me getting in as they had no problem accessing it, funny that, but i have another laptop and 2 computors in the house, yet none of them could get on, they also said that it could be ebid that had stoped allowing certain isp from accessing it's site

spent most the night trying to find out what was wrong

then copied goths instructions and after changing the settings to allow me to write

i am now in with no problems.

so a big thankyou to goth for all the help you have given everyone

View playtowin's Feedback (+704)
    All-About playtowin
    View playtowin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hypn0t0ad View Post
    Just a guess but you might have the 'read only' protection still on the 'hosts' file (the step to remove the 'read only' flag is included but could be easily missed)?

Or, wait for 'SuperGoth' (probably for the best...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shezz View Post
    I just sorted that problem out, i could not get in

you need permission to change it and save

will talk you through it
    thank you both- all sorted now- it was to do with being on vista and the administrator thingy- good job you lot know what you're talking about

No, it's like telling your SatNav that there is a change of address for one of your friends and putting in a new postcode. It's the Hosts file for heavens sakes, and people are adding a line to it, not deleting anything.

Thread Information