PDA

View Full Version : Promotion of ebid, from ebay the early days

DaisyChain
5th August 2007, 10:40 AM
Browsing around the other night, i came across a news piece back from around 1998, just in the infancy of the ebay site.

Oe of their directors at time was telling how ebay differed from qxl and so on, but also mentioned something about promoting the site, which seemed to be cheap, and was a completely different method from other auction sites.

Basically it was this, they would go down to one of the antique & collectors fairs and rent a stall, set up with a computer in tow, and then promote the stall with leaflets etc, and allow people to come over abd use the computer to browse around the ebay site, see what features it had etc, and tell them the benefits of signing up, in terms of selling their wares through the site.

I think its a fantastic idea:D

It also done something different, it brought new users to the net, users which may not have even used the net ebfore. These users became the foundation of the ebay community.

nykmedia
5th August 2007, 10:58 PM
Browsing around the other night, i came across a news piece back from around 1998, just in the infancy of the ebay site.

Oe of their directors at time was telling how ebay differed from qxl and so on, but also mentioned something about promoting the site, which seemed to be cheap, and was a completely different method from other auction sites.

Basically it was this, they would go down to one of the antique & collectors fairs and rent a stall, set up with a computer in tow, and then promote the stall with leaflets etc, and allow people to come over abd use the computer to browse around the ebay site, see what features it had etc, and tell them the benefits of signing up, in terms of selling their wares through the site.

I think its a fantastic idea:D

It also done something different, it brought new users to the net, users which may not have even used the net ebfore. These users became the foundation of the ebay community.

The above is what I call an eBid seminar or eBid party. I set up my laptop, sign into eBid and then browse with friends to see if they want to sign up, buy or sell. I have a thread for it in this promo forum somewhere asking for a few others to do the same so we can compare notes :D It does work, as I have had a few business associates sign up and also a few friends & relatives. See the other thread if you want to hear how the next ones go. :)