PDA

View Full Version : Payments method question from a newbie seller

Mybad
14th January 2006, 02:30 AM
I've had a look through the FAQs, but can't seem to get an answer to a query I have about selling and taking payments. Sorry, if this has been asked loads of times, I've just signed up for eBid and I've not sold anything online before. I'm mainly flogging a whole load of DVDs, but want to give people some good options for payment.

So far I've got PayPal and PPPay organised, but what's involved in taking direct payments from debit and credit card? Is this something that only a registered company can do? Is it expensive for the seller? I was also wondering about bank transfers, but is it risky giving out your bank details to buyers?

I know this might be simple stuff to most people, but since I could n'tfind the information, I'd prefer to sound dumb than open myself up to card fraud etc.

All help appreciated. If I find that things go well, I might try setting up a mini-store for videogames and gaming equipment.

TaraCM
14th January 2006, 02:45 AM
Ello MyBad,
1st off welcome to ebid :D
Personally, i offer PPPAY.com, PAYPAL, cheques/postal orders and cash (sent at buyers risk). I will only offer Bank Transfer to well established members (IE have over a certain amount of feedback). I think you'll find somewhere in the threads some1 had mentioned being dragged into bank/CC fraud by giving their account number and sort-code over.... so I, MYSELF would'nt use it.

Good Luck with your auctions, why not stick a link in your signature to your store/auctions so all us lazy people on the forums can have a nosey :D To do that click 'USER CP' (found at the top left hand side, under the ebid logo) and choose edit signature

Mybad
14th January 2006, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the advice, Tara. I've only got one auction on right now to test the water and will sort out some kind of store over the weekend, since I'll be selling a lot of DVDs over the next couple of weeks.

jarremachine
14th January 2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the advice, Tara. I've only got one auction on right now to test the water and will sort out some kind of store over the weekend, since I'll be selling a lot of DVDs over the next couple of weeks.

OOh! Any Sci-fi or erm, Elvis ?:)

cmc_entertainment
14th January 2006, 08:29 PM
NOCHEX!!!!!!! (http://www.nochex.com)

Mybad
19th January 2006, 06:59 PM
OOh! Any Sci-fi or erm, Elvis ?:)

Yep, I think Dune is in there somewhere amongst the pile. Most of it is Fantasy/Sci-fi/martial arts, like Crounchin' Tiger, Once upon a time in China, K-Pax, Shoalin Soccer etc. I'll stick up some more for the weekend bargain hunters. =]