PDA

View Full Version : Cassette tapes

FirstGreenIsGold
8th June 2011, 04:08 PM
Does anyone here still use cassette tapes?

bykimbo
8th June 2011, 04:10 PM
Does anyone here still use cassette tapes?

Only for audio books.

WiccaBasketUK
8th June 2011, 04:17 PM
I have a few audio books on tape - but no player unfortunately :(

Penni

bykimbo
8th June 2011, 04:20 PM
I have a few audio books on tape - but no player unfortunately :(

Penni

I have two Roberts radio-cassette players that I'm nursing into old-age so I can still use my boxes and boxes of tapes!

FirstGreenIsGold
8th June 2011, 04:34 PM
I have some audiobooks on cassette that I still listen to as well, but don't use music cassettes any more.

meebo1
8th June 2011, 04:36 PM
I listen to music as well as audio books on cassette - and have at least 3 players about the place

BAGHAG999
8th June 2011, 04:38 PM
Mostly when in my old banger.

Tiskets
8th June 2011, 04:44 PM
Mostly when in my old banger.

Same here, in my car. I also would like to buy a tape player when I have some spare pennies. I listen to both music and audio books and still buy both.

raindropsies
8th June 2011, 04:48 PM
I don't personally, but know a lot of buyers do.

There is also a hot item to do with tapes that ALWAYS sells when I list it/them/those

BAGHAG999
8th June 2011, 09:49 PM
Main use in the car is drown the knocking noises from the engine.

Bohemian
8th June 2011, 10:16 PM
I still have a cassette player in my 1993 Toyota, also got a couple of radio/cassette players. I have lots of tapes,
but some are over 35 years old now. The quality goes, over time. Showing my age here, cassettes were the "in thing"
in 1975 !

FirstGreenIsGold
11th June 2011, 09:24 PM
Yes, 8 track tapes too. Back in the early 70s and we were cruising around listening to Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk Railroad, or some such band.

Juliebabe25
11th June 2011, 09:50 PM
No
I have a few that I am trying to transfer to digital, I am using Audio something (I get confusued with all their names)

The hardest thing will be to find cassette playing machines with a good audio output.

But I did read on the BBC that they are very popular in Zimbabwe and that some company had set up a factory to start making audio cassettes as they were still popular there. Perhaps Mugabe likes them !

moonwitch
12th June 2011, 04:17 AM
I read about someone locally who has a huge collection.

Some of his cassettes are worth around £500

I have sold several for stupid amounts on another site...some are very collectable

suesjools
12th June 2011, 12:36 PM
Yes, I have a cassette player in my 1993 Lexus that works great, I use it to play a lot of older tapes when out and about, Rod Stewart and Elton John are favorites. :)

Best wishes for many sales to all,

savethe80s
20th August 2012, 04:45 AM
I still love cassettes and actually have a cassette store on here!!! still have about 500 more to list, but i still listen to tapes too! i like that they still have the artwork, just smaller than the vinyl. and because they're small i can store a lot of them in a much smaller space.

I buy cassettes every week, and still get excited when i find one i've never seen, just like a kid in a candy store!

cerealmunkee
10th December 2012, 10:56 PM
I love analogue cassette tapes too...i have many up market decks at Home and there is always a cassette deck connected to my amplifier, i have Hundreds of pre recorded and Still sealed blank cassettes and listened to Dark side of the moon recently on cassette.....excellent.

TiasTreasures
11th December 2012, 05:39 AM
I don't have a cassette player in my new car, so I listed my tapes here. I've sold several, so there are obviously people out there who still love them.

cdsmith15
30th December 2012, 10:39 PM
I use cassettes to listen to music on my personal stereo when I'm walking my dog! So, yes I do still use cassettes.

Tropical_Trish
30th December 2012, 10:56 PM
I also play cassette tapes - I have a vast collection of classical and opera tapes that I just love.
Many are really quite ancient!
I love to play them when I'm cooking a dinner - so relaxing!

cerealmunkee
6th February 2013, 12:20 AM
I also play cassette tapes - I have a vast collection of classical and opera tapes that I just love.
Many are really quite ancient!
I love to play them when I'm cooking a dinner - so relaxing!
That's great...........the thing that i like about cassette tapes is that it is possible to acquire them for not very much and then discover music that you would usually not buy and often find that you're left wanting more.
I still like the sound that they can produce an due to my age i see them as still desirable.

redkiteshoard
6th February 2013, 10:25 AM
Just as an aside, Sony has just announced that they have ceased production on all Mini-Disc products.Another great platform gone into the shadows.

cerealmunkee
20th February 2013, 02:56 AM
Just as an aside, Sony has just announced that they have ceased production on all Mini-Disc products.Another great platform gone into the shadows.
Minidisc.........another defunct format that i still enjoy, with all of its clever post editing functions and rather very good audio quality, i guess that this means that the cassette tape has actually outlived minidisc, i like this neat little disc housed in its own caddy.
That said, equivalent digital sound quality is available from solid state memory devices now assuming that you use Wave files.

another recording format that i still use from time to time is DCC digital compact cassette, which was a Philips inspired format that actually went head to head with Minidisc in the very early 1990s and lost out,
If you are wondering what a DCC Cassette looks like then type DCC cassette into the Ebid search box and you will see some photos of them.
I prefer minidisc ...or i...no i prefer analogue audio cassette....no i can't make my mind up, so i have most of everything.

Jawa42
12th October 2013, 04:21 AM
I still have cassettes and cassette decks and still play them now and then. mostly hard rock and metal stuff.