PDA

View Full Version : Are photo's necessary?

lisa1301
30th May 2010, 05:09 PM
Can someone tell me if photographs are essential when you are selling a book? For example if I want to buy a James Patterson book, I am not bothered about looking at a picture of it, as I know which book I want. I'm currently bidding on two books and the photo's of it would have made no difference to me at all.

I have been spring cleaning today and have about 30 books I want to sell, and was only enquiring as it was just the thought of taking 30 pics but if you feel I need to do it then I will take it on advice from you oldies with me being a newbie!

Thanks guys.

bykimbo
30th May 2010, 05:12 PM
I always want a photo so I can see the condition. Unless it's a seller I already know and trust, I'm not going to take their word for it as book condition is such a subjective thing. I've had people assure me that a book at a boot fair is so expensive because "it's never been read" and it looks like a piece of junk.

lisa1301
30th May 2010, 05:15 PM
I always want a photo so I can see the condition. Unless it's a seller I already know and trust, I'm not going to take their word for it as book condition is such a subjective thing. I've had people assure me that a book at a boot fair is so expensive because "it's never been read" and it looks like a piece of junk.

Thank you..... I will take your advice then and take photo's. I had never thought about it that way. I suppose I am too trusting and if someone tells me it's in exc cond I'd believe them, but I know from a swap site I use that isn't always the case. So it's out with the camera for me tomorrow then.....

Thanks again. All advice greatfully received.

TonyBridger
30th May 2010, 05:19 PM
If browsing the book category a thumbnail picture will often attract my attention whereas a title might not.

CarnoustieCats
30th May 2010, 05:20 PM
umm ...I like my covers to match so yes, a photo is very important - I don't bother looking otherwise :):):)

lisa1301
30th May 2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm sold....... Photographs it is then.

mrswilliam
2nd August 2010, 07:16 PM
I prefer to see a photo otherwise I don't usually bother looking unless its a title i specifically want.

JanetB
2nd August 2010, 07:49 PM
When I started selling online, many moons ago, I was taught to include images as if there were no description and write up a good description as if there were no images. This is necessary for non American/English speaking buyers who may not understand a description entirely.

bluejypsy
2nd August 2010, 07:52 PM
I'm with the rest here. I can't help but feel that if a seller "can't be bothered" to take a picture of the item I wish to buy then what is their attitude towards the remainder of the transaction. You are able to post 5 free pictures on eBid so use these to show your books and any slight marks or creases you will find that by doing so you are showing that you can be "bothered" and that will be in your favour.
Books are very slow sellers right now but someone will buy as long as you are prepared to wait. Good luck.

luvintage
2nd August 2010, 11:41 PM
Have to agree with all the rest of the posts. I see several sellers who don't have pics and honestly, I don't bother to click on the listing. A photo lets you know right away that it's the item you want. Also, I feel better about the seller because they show they care enough to make it easier for the buyer.

meebo1
3rd August 2010, 05:56 AM
I have recently started scanning my books. It is a lot faster and you don't need a steady hand (big grin) which I don't seem to have some of the time

gyronny
3rd August 2010, 07:09 AM
I always include a picture of the book I'm selling, and will happily email any more if required
Like meebo, I scan my books, scanners can be bought for peanuts these days.
Mine is about 8 year sold and cost me £29.99, never a moment's trouble
(that last statement is probably the kiss of death for the scanner)

deltadelta48
25th August 2010, 01:45 AM
Can someone tell me if photographs are essential when you are selling a book? For example if I want to buy a James Patterson book, I am not bothered about looking at a picture of it, as I know which book I want. I'm currently bidding on two books and the photo's of it would have made no difference to me at all.

I have been spring cleaning today and have about 30 books I want to sell, and was only enquiring as it was just the thought of taking 30 pics but if you feel I need to do it then I will take it on advice from you oldies with me being a newbie!

Thanks guys.

Sellers do sell without having a picture, good description, etc but you can carry it too far. Some don't even tell potential buyers if they are buying a hardcover w/ w/o dustjacket or paperback. Seller do lose customers that way. I have a lot of old and new cookbooks and I always have 5 pictures on each. No cost, it may make the sale.