PDA

View Full Version : New user question about affiliate programme

darklisruthven
12th November 2009, 07:05 PM
I signed up over 24 hours ago for the affiliate programme so that I have a link to add to my emails, social networking sites, etc.

It was a bit sad to see that the site said that since i have a Yahoo email for my paypal, and also my link (I gave them one of my social networking discussion communities about online auctions that I moderate as the main site for posting thier link) they would have to manually review my application and then email me.

So far I have heard nothing. Its sad, I know a lot of people who are disgruntled with ebay and looking for something else, and to be honest the £1 per sign up affiliate links would be a extra godsend for my teacher training uni fees (thats why I do online auctions as well!) . I dont know if I am just being impatient for this, or if I am going to be ignored by the affilate people because I dont have a business domain name ? :confused:

deltadelta48
12th November 2009, 11:41 PM
I signed up over 24 hours ago for the affiliate programme so that I have a link to add to my emails, social networking sites, etc.

It was a bit sad to see that the site said that since i have a Yahoo email for my paypal, and also my link (I gave them one of my social networking discussion communities about online auctions that I moderate as the main site for posting thier link) they would have to manually review my application and then email me.

So far I have heard nothing. Its sad, I know a lot of people who are disgruntled with ebay and looking for something else, and to be honest the £1 per sign up affiliate links would be a extra godsend for my teacher training uni fees (thats why I do online auctions as well!) . I dont know if I am just being impatient for this, or if I am going to be ignored by the affilate people because I dont have a business domain name ? :confused:

Oh no, the affiliate link!!!! I went thru the process of applying so that I could put the link on my website and I must confess, I gave up after about six months. It took time to apply, to get approved, and when I finally got their approval link, it would not work, so I started again contacting them, etc, etc etc.

So I went the easy way, I just copied and pasted an ebid banner link that one of the members offered (maybe Kimbo?) and that was it. No reimbursement but it was much too complicated to fool with after a while (and when link was unoperational, you would not have wanted to hear what I said).

Good luck, tell us how you do (there is an old forum note about that program with tips).

darklisruthven
13th November 2009, 11:18 AM
Hmmmm - yes will certainly let you know how it goes Meantime I will carry on with things and hope it will be a useful extra when it does become possible. :) Thanks for the reply though. :)

nhoneymonster
13th November 2009, 03:06 PM
I was going to sign up for the affiliate program, not sure whether to bother now.

darklisruthven
13th November 2009, 03:25 PM
I know what you mean! Its probably worth trying (after all nothing tried nothing gained) but dont rely on it working. thats all. Thats my attitude now. If I get a working affiliate link, thats great, otherwise *shrug*.

deltadelta48
13th November 2009, 04:48 PM
I know what you mean! Its probably worth trying (after all nothing tried nothing gained) but dont rely on it working. thats all. Thats my attitude now. If I get a working affiliate link, thats great, otherwise *shrug*.

People do use it, do I don't want to badmouth it. Its a good idea to get a few bucks for every click. But I had a hard time understanding it, navigating the site, providing the right info (something to do with what email you use, I have separate email for my website and it would not approve if I used one or my MSN one or whatever), etc. And I admit I lost patience with it.

Putting on a nifty big ebid non paying button and link (on past forum) was just as good, it moves my customers from my smaller stash of linens to my ebid stores where I have more. Some buy at both, and both web site and ebid stores show up on google so there is nice exposure for everything.

So it may work perfectly for you the first time. Others too. Someone will come along and give you more info I am sure.

nhoneymonster
13th November 2009, 05:35 PM
I've signed up, waiting for approval now.

nhoneymonster
17th November 2009, 08:48 AM
I've been approved and got the links now, one of the banners doesn't seem to display properly but I have managed to put a link on my website.

deltadelta48
17th November 2009, 07:13 PM
I've been approved and got the links now, one of the banners doesn't seem to display properly but I have managed to put a link on my website.

Good for you! Did better than I did. I got too impatient and was not persistent enough to follow thru. Let us know if it is worthwhile having after you have tested it a while.

darklisruthven
18th November 2009, 02:42 PM
No response yet. :(

gazlannathai
24th November 2009, 06:52 PM
I've been using the eBid affiliate program via ClixGalore since way back when Noah was a lad - can't remember if it was easy or difficult to join back then, but what I do know is this ...

Unless you are serious about affiliate marketing, have a portfolio of websites with exceptionally high traffic, and each one of them is a tightly focussed niche site ... you'll NEVER see a penny in commissions or referral fees for any traffic you send through ClixGalore links, whether to eBid or anywhere else.

Why? Because of how ClixGalore structure the account management charges. Over the years, I've sent untold hundreds of people to eBid from ClixGalore banners, and according to the fees earned, a great many of them have signed up with eBid and earned me my one Pound of flesh each time (it used to be 80p before Seller+ was introduced).

But despite all those referral fees (including a large bunch when there was a promo and the referral fee was TWO pounds - wooohhhh) I've never received a single penny from ClixGalore.

You have to accrue a minimum of (I think) 50 quid in earnings before they pay out, and if you have a blank month (no referrals) they clawback 2.50 in "management" fees off the earnings waiting to reach the payout minimum.

After nearly seven years with them and a strong performance from eBid referrals, I've had no money, and I'm right on the edge of closing the account and pulling all the eBid banners off all my websites - cumulative monthly traffic now exceeding 110,000 page views and 30,000+ unique visitors (that's more than eBid had when I first joined here).

Would I recommend the eBid affiliate program to casual sellers with a small personal website? - absolutely not ... unless you already had serious traffic and wanted to convert your customers from buying on your website to buying on eBid.

Would I recommend it to the mega-affiliates (people with hundreds of websites and whose sole business is affiliate marketing)? - yes I would - it's a click magnet and it does get conversions, but if you can't get enough of them to prise a cheque out of ClixGalore EVERY month, then think twice about it.

Finally, given their abyssmal record of making payments, ask yourself why earlier this year, ClixGalore relocated from out in the sticks to posh new s****y offices inside the square mile. I wonder how many other affiliates have been shocked to learn of the monthly management charges that erode hard won referral fees?

I'm now running my own full blown ad server that services all my own sites with directly paying advertisers, and I'm shutting down all advertisers that were acquired through ClixGalore - eBid will get chopped too after Christmas - because I've not been paid once by their agents in seven years of successfully promoting eBid. Enough is enough.

Gaz

gazlannathai
24th November 2009, 06:58 PM
Oh - and I forgot to add ... several of those months when referral fees went negative on me, were during Q4 last year when eBid themselves locked out all users outside the countries on the eBid home page. At the same time as they did that, they also blocked the ad serving from ClixGalore, and due to lack of new referrals, ClixGalore took money off my balance each month I was locked out of eBid.

Never did take G&M to task over that, and way too late to do so now, but still worth mentioning it in the overall discussion about the affiliate program.

Gaz

moonwitch
24th November 2009, 10:35 PM
I must be losing my marbles..

Couldn't for the life of me remember where I was supposed to find the banners...so went to sign up to clixgalore instead and found I was already signed up and the banners are there ready to go.

Shame they haven't got the new logo on there though:rolleyes: