PDA

View Full Version : Police dogs die in hot parked car

craig7501
2nd July 2009, 09:03 AM
Two German Shepherd police dogs have died in the heatwave after being left in a car by their handler.

The dogs were found dead in a police car parked outside Nottinghamshire's force headquarters in Arnold at 2.15pm on Wednesday.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission said it received a referral from the force and is deciding whether to investigate - the RSPCA is investigating the incident.

A statement from Nottinghamshire Police said the welfare of its animals was "of paramount importance".

It said: "We endeavour to take every measure possible to ensure their well-being and safety."

It takes nine weeks of intensive training and costs more than £7,000 before a police dog can go out on patrol.

The maximum sentence for causing unnecessary suffering to an animal is six months in prison and a £20,000 fine.

Nottinghamshire Police said the handler has not been suspended.

Peter Davies, the force's assistant chief constable, said: "This is a tragic incident and we value the important work our police dogs carry out on a daily basis. That is why we swiftly reported this incident to the RSPCA and we will be working with them very closely."

It is believed the dogs' handler was not on duty at the time and had called in to the force's headquarters at Sherwood Lodge, leaving the dogs to over-heat in the parked car. It is not known how long they were left in the car but temperatures in Nottingham on Wednesday hit 29.4C.

FairMaiden
2nd July 2009, 09:07 AM
Tragic.

harold69
2nd July 2009, 09:13 AM
Very bad policeman, should be fired with no benefits, and punished. Those dogs depended on him for care, and protected him how many times. That policeman needs to suffer their fate and worse. I got no forgiving in me for this policeman.

shelleywelley
2nd July 2009, 10:18 AM
I agree with Harold, he should be treated the same as anyone else who left a dog in a car in this weather :(

How many times do people need to be told? :rolleyes:

If he was off duty, what was he doing with the dogs in the car anyway? :confused:

PoppyGrove
2nd July 2009, 10:56 AM
Just read this - words fail me.

It says that the policeofficer was off duty and had just 'called in' to the office - come on - dogs don't die in a car if they're only left in this heat for 10 or 15 mins - they get uncomfortable yes, which is unacceptable anyway, but for them to die from the heat - he must have 'called in' for his 2 hour lunch break at least. How gullible do they think us minions are that we'd beleive such a tale.

In all fairness, he should face the same penalty for his stupidity and neglect as any member of the general populous would have in such an incident. For my own part - you don't want to know what I'd do to him if he crossed my path.

harold69
2nd July 2009, 11:34 AM
I doubt the truth will ever be told as they don't the public in an uproar on this

poppa501
2nd July 2009, 12:04 PM
Dollars to Doughnuts says nothing other than maybe a reprimand or temp. suspension will happen to this bum!

Love to all
Poppa

AllNewCDDVD4You
2nd July 2009, 01:00 PM
:mad: I live in Derby only 20 minutes drive away from Nottingham
My heart breaks for those poor noble intelligent dogs
If he was off duty so should his faithful partners have been
What on earth was he thinking of?
He will have to live with the terrible guilt of what he has done

My little pet Bichon Frise Taffy,is in his first summer
and we are realising that he is not coping well with the hot weather
He stays inside with me with the fan going,
he is refusing his favourite food during the day
only venturing into the garden when he feels he needs to
He is not going for his walkies until the heat goes down
Any necessary driven trips are with all windows open
as far as they will go and NEVER NEVER NEVER
will he ever be left,not even for a minute

We are still trying to come to terms with losing George
he died a few weeks ago aged 14
He also would sleep near a fan through any hot weather

sparkdeco
2nd July 2009, 01:48 PM
I was really upset when I heard this on the Radio 2 news at lunch time. You would think the dog handler would have known better

Gothicina
2nd July 2009, 02:30 PM

It says that the policeofficer was off duty and had just 'called in' to the office - come on - dogs don't die in a car if they're only left in this heat for 10 or 15 mins - they get uncomfortable yes, which is unacceptable anyway, but for them to die from the heat - he must have 'called in' for his 2 hour lunch break at least. How gullible do they think us minions are that we'd beleive such a tale.

In all fairness, he should face the same penalty for his stupidity and neglect as any member of the general populous would have in such an incident. For my own part - you don't want to know what I'd do to him if he crossed my path.

I think he should face a greater penalty than the general public.

The police are far more likely to prosecute a professional driver (bus,cab,driving instructor, lorry ect) who is caught breaking the driving laws because "They are professional drivers, they should know better"

Well he is by trade, (although obviously not in deed) a professional dog handler, so should be much more aware than anybody else of the needs & welfare of his dogs, at all times.

PATRIOT73
2nd July 2009, 02:47 PM
sister came home fer dinner n popped in,as lives 100yds dahn royd

wworks fer RSPCA in there ncc
n says every tuva call is tossers leavin dogs in cars

Teddyrose54
2nd July 2009, 03:11 PM
It beggers belief~:(

Let's hope they are not daft enough to hand him another dog~:mad:

PoppyGrove
2nd July 2009, 03:17 PM
I think he should face a greater penalty than the general public.

The police are far more likely to prosecute a professional driver (bus,cab,driving instructor, lorry ect) who is caught breaking the driving laws because "They are professional drivers, they should know better"

Well he is by trade, (although obviously not in deed) a professional dog handler, so should be much more aware than anybody else of the needs & welfare of his dogs, at all times.

Thats true enough.

Being a professional dog handler for the police he should have known better. The police are meant to show an example. With a lot of areas getting heatwave weather (we have had, but its bucketing down here today) and there is a lot of examples of dogs baking & dieing in cars - along with children - he should have been even more aware of his actions.

mainlypostcards
2nd July 2009, 06:31 PM
I agree with Harold, he should be treated the same as anyone else who left a dog in a car in this weather :(

How many times do people need to be told? :rolleyes:

If he was off duty, what was he doing with the dogs in the car anyway? :confused:
Dog handlers have the use of the police "dog transport" vehicle even when they are off duty. There's a dog handler who exercises his dogs in the field behind my house and he always brings them in the police car, regardless of whether he's in uniform or not.

It was incredibly hot yesterday. I drove with my ac on full blast to MK to pick my son up (in the middle of the afternoon). The car was really cold and I actually had goosebumps on my arms when I got there. Got out of the car, walked into the shop where he was and walked back again - altogether no more then maximum 3 minutes. I was totally shocked to find the car boiling hot in that time. Although it's unforgivable that the dogs should have been left in the car at all, it really was bad yesterday - and today for that matter. And it may not necessarily have been for a very long time.

I agree with other posters that he should face the same charges any other member of the public would face. These are not conditions to leave any creature in a car (except maybe cocksparrer's snakes - they may like the heat)

cpeuf1
2nd July 2009, 07:38 PM

Well actually the RSPCA said that with this heat within 10-15 minutes the dogs would have died, fairly short time, but enough for them to go through lots of pain as they start breathing faster and faster until they cannot breath anymore. Dreadful! The guy deserved to be punished in the same way any of us would if we did such a thing.

mainlypostcards
2nd July 2009, 07:58 PM
Well actually the RSPCA said that with this heat within 10-15 minutes the dogs would have died, fairly short time, but enough for them to go through lots of pain as they start breathing faster and faster until they cannot breath anymore. Dreadful! The guy deserved to be punished in the same way any of us would if we did such a thing.
That wouldn't surprise me. My car went from "aircon" cold to "above outside" temperatures in well under 5 minutes.

PATRIOT73
2nd July 2009, 08:14 PM
er not condolin the actions of tiz guy
but before hes hung,drawn n quartered by the kt mafia:p
dus anyone know the full story.........NO
so hang fire untill u no the full facts
RSPCA are investigatin n they ave polices full support
wich begars m'to think theers nowt wrong

kengillam
2nd July 2009, 08:23 PM
I daresay he is as much upset, as most people are indignant. As a handler he would have formed a close bond with the dogs and is going to be emotionally affected as well.

PATRIOT73
2nd July 2009, 10:11 PM
I daresay he is as much upset, as most people are indignant. As a handler he would have formed a close bond with the dogs and is going to be emotionally affected as well.
be like losing is besty mates

canuckbid
3rd July 2009, 03:21 AM

I agree with Ken. They do make close bounds and the guy/girl is probally really upset they made a mistake. We are all human and slip up sometimes. I feel bad for both the dogs and the handler. It's a tragedy.

AllNewCDDVD4You
3rd July 2009, 07:52 AM
As I mentioned before,he will have to live with the guilt:(